By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Sales Do Horribly in Japan

Isn't Trusty Bell also coming to the PS3?

Around the Network

Some more pertinent information: The Xbox, according to VG Charts, sold 330k of it's 500k in 2002 alone. Therefore, 65% of sales of the Xbox were in its first year. The 360 has no such tracking that's similar to that. Oh, top games for the Xbox over 50k units sold (2002): DOA3; 195,346 (wow!) Halo; 76,932 (wow!) Murakumo; 55,651 Omniusha; 50,119 Just under 700k pieces of s/w sold in 2002 vs. 330k h/w units (only a sucky 2.1 tier ratio) In 360's first year (lets just count Dec here), the 360 had 85k units sold for December. A pitiful number compared to the orig. Xbox's decent 330k units sold. Software was 143k units with; DOA4 selling 57k units (which had 1 week to sell in Dec, had nearly the same tier ratio as DOA3 did) Ridge Racer 6 at 36,912 units PDZ at 21k and everything else sucking. Obviously, the 360 failed compared to the Orig. Xbox in terms of sales, but of course it only had 1 month vs. Xbox's nearly full year. In Xbox's second year (2003), h/w sales were only 96k, and 330k software units were sold. DOA Beach Volleyball sold 135k, and no other game managed over 50k for the year. DOA3 sold 30k, and Dino Crisis 3, and Soul Calibur sold 30k as well. In the 360s first full year, and for this analysis, second year, h/w sales were 200,291, and software was at 749,075, higher than any total year the orig. Xbox ever had (and best non-launch year that MS ever had in the region) Top games were: Blue Dragon with 126,765 units, Lost Planet and Dead Rising with around 50k each, DOAX2 with 70k units among other games. In Xbox's third year (2004), only a bitter 37k units sold that year, with 210k software units. DOA Ultimate sold 81k as it's top game. Ninja Gaiden did 66k, and Halo2 did 50k. Mind you, theres no way either game could of done well due to such horrid system sales. Thus far, in 360's third year (2nd full year), with 6 and 1/2 months left, the 360 is at 98,596 h/w units, and has 383,670 software units sold, already passing the orig. Xbox's entire lifetime sales of software. In Xbox's fourth and last year (2005), 12k units sold, giving the orig. Xbox a measly, bitter, pathetic, 477,809 units by year-end. VGChartz only counted another 6k software units sold. So we have the orig. Xbox at: Hardware; 477,809 Software; 1,232,488 As of now, the 360 is at: Hardware; 383,910 Software; 1,276,119 So in 18 and 1/2 months, the 360 has already passed Xbox's entire lifetime software sales, and is within 90k hardware sales. My point in all this; MS has a far better system than it did last time. The Xbox died after year 1, and the 360 is only increasing in sales. Regardless of what you want to believe, the 360 will greatly surpass Xbox's sales in Japan, and has already beated Xbox's lifetime software fewer uber-titles such as DOA. The support base is bigger for software. The tier ratios are higher. So I'd say by the time everything's said and done, the 360 should end up with around 3m hardware units (ultra high end, 1.5m at the lowest feasable end), and somewhere around 6m to 15m software units. That's 10 times the software, and anywhere from 3-6x the hardware. Possible? Yes, the 360 is tracking that way. Between higher year to year sales, and a longer lifespan with much greater dev support, we should see the 360 do well, and the next Xbox doing even greater. IMO, the Next Box could do anywhere from 5 to 10m units in it's lifetime, giving it a significant presence in Japan by 2015 to 2017. Obviously not a contender for #1, but it would atleast have a fighting chance in Japan.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yes, Trusty Bell is coming to PS3. However, Namco hasn't given any release date, or projected release date at all. As far as I can tell, I would highly doubt it'll release in the same month, or sooner than TB for 360. My guess would be that TB would release sometime near the holiday, about 3-4 weeks before Lost Odyssey releases, to capitalize on holiday sales before it has to fight against LO. IMO, TB on 360 should get anywhere from 100k to 175k s/w units sold in its lifetime (could do more during Christmas, and more people wanting games other than LO when they buy their 360s). The PS3 version could do anywhere from 200k to 350k lifetime in Japan. In the US, I expect around the opposite, with the 360 switching PS3 for US sales, if not a little more.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Prediction 

[

360 has very poor marketing in japan

Around the Network

This isn't really any surprise. The 360 has nothing that appeals in Japan in the way of software. The vast majority of its hottest titles are first-person/third-person/tactical shooters, which the Japanese aren't too crazy about.

Its software isn't very diverse to begin with, and this is why it only has mass popularity in N. America. Its sales aren't really hot in Europe either. It has some action games and racers coming up, but again, those are the (for lack of a better word) macho games that will only help it in America.

Japanese developers simply have no reason to take a chance putting better titles on the 360 that would appeal in Japan as long as there is a DS, PSP, Wii, and PS3.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

CameronHall1 said:
360 has very poor marketing in japan

I think this is a big factor in why 360 is not doing as good as it could be.

not only they don't do hardly any TV commercials as their rivals, instead they make utter garbage promotions like these.

TV commercial for 360 in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS1m5vzIc4k

Gear of War promotion in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2uJflvUu4E

MS marketing division in Japan (if there is such thing) has some mental people

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

mrstickball said:
Yes, Trusty Bell is coming to PS3.

Actually, there is no evidence of this being true or false at the moment. We saw the rating at the ESRB, and that is all, and now it's back to being just 360. No announcements from either camp. No one even said, "We have no plans to bring Trusty Bell to the PS3 at this time." Nothing.

There's more evidence pointing to MGS4 coming to the 360, simply because Kojima once said, "There are no plans to bring MGS4 to the 360 at this time."

Unless someone has something proving Trusty Bell is coming to the PS3? 

I wonder if the 360 will ever end up doing good in Japan? Rest of the world is decent, but it did have a lead! I think if the PS3 and MS 360 were released at the same time we might see a different story, but they wer not and we will never know!

I wrote a huge thread about MS's marketing campaign in Japan and how it has affected that market. You should see how bad their commercials are. the guys at Mistwalkers also complained about this. I do think they are doing way better then their first system in the big picture. And Trusty Bell will definitly increase the pace of things, MS has a small window I believe, they need convince the hardcore gamers of Japan that have yet to buy into the ps3 that they are their for Japan, and for the long haul, I believe Lost Odyessy can go a long way in pushing this, and I also think that Blue Dragon sales will pick up alot if Japan starts to buy into the 360 this holiday season. But MS has to do everything in it's power to work this, and it won't be easy. But ps3 geting delays and losing a few exclusives will certainly help.