By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Sales Do Horribly in Japan

Once the games (DMC4 ,RE5 ,FFXIII ,White Knight Story ,Silent Hill 5 ,Beatiful Katamari ;MGSIV ,etc) starts flowing and the japanese product starts to appear the PS3 will capitalize on that in Japan and the difference in sales will be much greater .Yes ,X360 is doing something better than Xbox specially because there wasnt any high-end console until the PS3 and the PS3 is having a slow start without software ...but the differences are so small it doesnt really matter .Next gen the Xbox brand will be perceived in Japan as the eternal loser and a niche machine at best ...

Around the Network
Poseidon said:

The reason the 360 is doing poorly in Japan is because it isn't releasing sequels to franchises that have an abundant number of sequels and side-quests, and it isn't dishing out revamped ports of classics.

I'm just happy that Japan isn't the benchmark for the industry.

Actually, it is. Even Seamus himself clearly stated this before the 360 was released. Japan, for now, is the high ground of the industry, if you don't have it your chances of winning are greatly reduced. I know the gaming community have become a very ignorant bunch nowadays and I'll probably get responses like "lol, you nobz!!110!1! wii60 rocks, Sony suroxz!!11!!0!!!!!!!!" but that's the truth. The 360 lost any chance of being number on this generation last year when it failed to do well in Japan despite the lack of current gen competition. The fight for #1 has always been between Ninty and Sony, it's just weird how most gamers today are just in lala land with the happens of the gaming industry.

When Nintendo says "we're not in competition with MS / Sony" that's just BS. The wii is a next gen (current gen) console. Ninty used the strategy of less power, new control mechanism; Sony used pushing new technology for huge leap in general gaming experiences; and MS used significant upgrade and main focus on "hardcore". They are all competing for top spot. I have my opinion on who will dominate come 2012 but I already know MS is already coming in last spot. Yes, I know this a wii60 fansite but hey, it is my opinion.

Once the games (DMC4 ,RE5 ,FFXIII ,White Knight Story ,Silent Hill 5 ,Beatiful Katamari ;MGSIV ,etc From that list, only FFXIII and MGS4 will give the ps3 an advantage over 360. But remember, 360 has Trusty Bell and Lost Odyssey. If those game live to the hype, the 360 could easily start sellind more then PS3. And they are gonna be released a lot sooner than the PS3 games. Ler´s see what E3 and TGS have to show about Japanese 360 games.

koffieboon said:
mrstickball, you really have some wild expectations for XBox 360 in Japan that no way will happen. They will not sell 120k units until July. At the moment they're selling around 3k per week, so in 12 weeks they must be happy to sell 50k. At the moment month after month sales for 2007 are only going down, so why it would it pick up to an average of 10k per week for 3 months in a row? The remark about XBox 360 overcoming PS3 is hopefully referring to weekly sales, not total sales, cause that will never happen. Even outselling PS3 in the holiday season seems highly unlikely at the moment. PS3 is not doing well in Japan, but at the moment it is still easily outselling XBox 360 week after week. And it still has more titles focused on the Japanese market compared to XBox 360.

You do realize that game releases are tied to console sales, right? In the next four weeks, the Japanese will receive both Forza (a big mystery) and Trusty Bell (a virtual lock to move at least 50k-75k consoles by itself).

Look at the Blue Dragon numbers for the 360. That game moved well over 100k 360s in a little over a month.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

do you realize that the ps3 is outselling the 360 in japan virtually without no games at all?? except for a few.. so what happens sony starts releasing games catered to the japanese market?? you figure it out... lets see how the 360 does when forza and trusty bell are released ... i expect around 20k in sales of hardware at the most... if not then i want everyone to shut up about the 360 doing even remotely good in japan

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
URNotE said:

do you realize that the ps3 is outselling the 360 in japan virtually without no games at all?? except for a few.. so what happens sony starts releasing games catered to the japanese market?? you figure it out... lets see how the 360 does when forza and trusty bell are released ... i expect around 20k in sales of hardware at the most... if not then i want everyone to shut up about the 360 doing even remotely good in japan

20k a week would be huge for the 360. 

rocketpig said:
koffieboon said:
mrstickball, you really have some wild expectations for XBox 360 in Japan that no way will happen. They will not sell 120k units until July. At the moment they're selling around 3k per week, so in 12 weeks they must be happy to sell 50k. At the moment month after month sales for 2007 are only going down, so why it would it pick up to an average of 10k per week for 3 months in a row? The remark about XBox 360 overcoming PS3 is hopefully referring to weekly sales, not total sales, cause that will never happen. Even outselling PS3 in the holiday season seems highly unlikely at the moment. PS3 is not doing well in Japan, but at the moment it is still easily outselling XBox 360 week after week. And it still has more titles focused on the Japanese market compared to XBox 360.

You do realize that game releases are tied to console sales, right? In the next four weeks, the Japanese will receive both Forza (a big mystery) and Trusty Bell (a virtual lock to move at least 50k-75k consoles by itself).

Look at the Blue Dragon numbers for the 360. That game moved well over 100k 360s in a little over a month.

XBox sold around 100k in december, those sales can't be tied to Blue Dragon alone. And Trusty Bell has no where near the exposure Blue Dragon had, so if it moves 20 to 30k consoles it would be a lot already. Forza has never been released in Japan yet, but I think people in Japan prefer to just wait for GT5. What is certain though is that XBox 360 sold around 380k in about 17 months time, expecting these 2 titles to increase total userbase in only 3 months by 120k is just not realistic or at least not supported by sales data for XBox 360 until now.

koffieboon said:

Trusty Bell comes out in exactly one month. Its probably the biggest game of the year for the 360 outside of Lost Odyssey. MS is pushing for the Trusty Bell gamers packs. This should help it to sell alot of units. I would anticipate that it would probably help the 360 to sell 10k h/w units a week for 2-3 weeks, or more.

Right now, I would say exceeding the 196,000 units the 360 made before November hits is entirely possible, if not, certain. Thats pretty dang good for MS.

As for the PS3 vs. 360, I was only merely saying that I would think it's possible for the 360 to out-sell the PS3 for a week or two at some point this year. After everything's said and done, I got the 360 at just above 3m units and the PS3 around 16.5m units. Obviously, I don't buy into any false hopes for MS. However, with all the multi-porting of Japanese games to the 360, I do believe it will translate into "great" succuess compared to the Xbox.

Think about it, the Xbox did 500k sales on what games? DOA and Ninja Gaiden. The 360 has Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, Infinite Undiscovery, Resident Evil 5, DMC4, Last Remnant, other Mistwaker RPGs, and other Capcom games. No multi-port of the 360s will remotely scratch the PS3's succuess with any game that's ported, but it WILL effect the 360 sales for the better. Look at AC4: The 360 got a pretty decent boost from a mediocrely selling PS3 title (AC4 did around 100k on PS3, and thus far 20k on 360). If every game sold at just a 5:1 ratio, it'd spell some sort of moderate succuesses.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

blue dragon hasnt even hit 200k yet over in japan.. it probably never will... and more than half of those games you just named are on the ps3...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

mrstickball said:

As for the PS3 vs. 360, I was only merely saying that I would think it's possible for the 360 to out-sell the PS3 for a week or two at some point this year.

That's the thing... Some people here are claiming that MrStickball and I think that the 360 will blow up in Japan. That's not the case at all. We are just looking at the possible "success" of the 360 vs. the original Xbox... Success being a very relative term.

I predict that the 360 will finish in Japan with around 2m units sold... A miserable failure by any standard, except the one set by the original Xbox.

MS can't worry about what the other companies are doing in Japan. They just need to focus on improving their sales every generation. Japan is a tough nut to crack and it will take time.