By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Can Nintendo Do To Appeal To The West?

A good FPS would help. Maybe more mature games.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Vena said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I thought this thread was about what they should do?  Not what will happen.

They shouldn't do that... at all.

I dont think they should either, but knowing Nintendo they will. 

MoHasanie said:
A good FPS would help. Maybe more mature games.

So you want Nintendo to go the route of Sega? Let Sony, Microsoft and the third party devs fight over that market. The smart thing to do is to carve out a new one (like what Splatoon may do).

Illusion said:
Like has been said, I think Nintendo is always going to be the "odd man out." I don't think they should bother trying to be more "western" since western companies are always going to have home-turf advantage when Nintendo goes head-to-head with them. Nintendo needs to carve out a new market for themselves just like they did with the NES, DS and Wii.

Maybe this means releasing something like the Fusion. That said, I honestly think that Nintendo needs to go back to what made them such a success in the NES days. In the 80's kids were growing up in front of televisions and up until that point all they could do with the TV was watch it. Nintendo took that existing technology and made it way more enjoyable by bringing games to the television.

Today, kids are growing up in front of Smart Phones and Tablets. If Nintendo can bring console gaming to the smartphone using the same idea as the Wii U gamepad's Off-TV play, I think there could be an untapped market here. Imagine buying an Iphone protector/case from Nintendo that comes with buttons and an analog stick and then being able to play a game with console graphics while at home or possibly on the train via wi-fi on your phone?

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but Nintendo has to branch out from the dedicated handheld/Television markets. Not only are these markets shrinking but Sony and Microsoft are just too good with the technology and the big budget studios to compete with directly. Nintendo has to innovate.

If Nintendo had third party they would have sold far more than they've sold. Third party accounts for a large amount of console sales. Thats how Sony took the primary audience from Nintendo with their Playstation debut. The people go where the third party go. Its the same reason Microsoft split Sony's former marketshare in half last gen and built their numbers off of it.

I think there was an interview where Miyamoto siad that their objective is to create software that they have a monopoly over. As long as that strategy stays in place, Nintendo will always make profits long term.

Around the Network

Nintendo-made Guardians of the Galaxy game?

:D

Soundwave said:

Good on them, but at some point that's a table where all the chairs are taken. MS and Sony take up all the table, there's no room for Nintendo. Nintendo will just be a third wheel cheap imitation of Sony/MS without the willingness to take losses if push comes to shove and the competetion gets heated (MS has an endless bank roll). 

If MS wasn't in the industry or bailed out and it was just Sony for Nintendo to contend with, this would be a more viable option for Nintendo IMO. Two's company but three's a crowd. 

of course there is room for Nintendo. Imagine Wii, with same power/on par with PS360? Total domination. But is Nintendo, they never do what they should do. Now is think is smart to grab some ports and be ready for the next console. 

Click HERE and be happy 

New Wester IP. Also it's a funny thing. There are a ton of Nintendo nostalgic gamers. I live with 2 of them. The problem is they just don't want to buy the new stuff. They're all cheap and satisfied playing their N64. I have a WiiU and Mario Kart 8 and Smash preordered but they would never go out and buy it they play their old games on their old consoles or just emulate them. It's weird. They will argue to no end what a better value Nintendo is every single one I encounter they downplay graphics and all the Playstation IP that I love or just Sony's place in gaming but they aren't interested in getting the new stuff.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Goatseye said:
-Nintendo needs to develop Metroid series into a blockbuster title like Halo. Develop it into an amazing story telling FPS with a stellar MP. Find a Western studio for it.

-A second game would be a Flight Combat Arcade/Third Person Adventure Star Fox "a la" Star Wars: Unleashed. Platinum Games would be perfect for that.

-Get a damn good Racing game that's not MK.

-Make another game like Mario 64

God no. Metroid Prime is already the pinnacle of first person shooters. It needs no evolution. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I dont think they should either, but knowing Nintendo they will. 

No, I meant they shouldn't adopt x86. It doesn't make sense for them to do so, when they adopt the unified platform they will be the biggest developer for their console(s) by a wide, wide margin. They have every incentive to support their own tool sets which are based in RISC not CISC, and as such they'll be better off with ARM or PPC.

There is no reason for them to bend over for western developers who may or may not even do anything to support Nintendo or want exorbinant amounts of concessions. They'd get better returns on just investing in new western studios, not conforming to burned bridges like Ubi or EA or Acti.

Homogenization of their console would not help them.