By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could 2015 be the Year of Xenoblade?

Tagged games:

Will Xenoblade Chronicles be the next massive Nintendo franchise?

No doubt in my mind!!! 135 55.10%

I'm a hater... 46 18.78%

see results 64 26.12%

Total:245
bigtakilla said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

This is what baffles me. I say to general gamers that Nintendo is using core games to gain gamers who would generally game on Xbox or Playstation. Monoliths history for the most par has been on Playstation, so true RPG fans should buy an Wii U. Same goes for Bayonetta. Nintendo is reaching out of their comfort zone to get the crowd who likes Japanese style core titles. I doubt the impact will be great though on the Wii U. The 3DS wont sell off of Xenoblade. On Nintendo consoles thats a niche title, but on the 3DS its a hot ticket item. It depends on the fanbase of the platform. Nintendo screwed the pooch with diverse audiences whom are loyal to their console over twenty years ago. The damage is greatly their and in some part due to third party. Nintendo put themselves in a positition that only Mario family games can sell the console and this gen is proving that its not enough.

True, but it isn't to late for Nintendo to try and establish their own core titles, and the impact may be small now, but could definitely blossom. All it would take was a show that people on Nintendo consoles want those style games. I think japanese anime influenced art styles are also a great way to go for Nintendo as it doesn't involve them having to try and bend to two different gamers wants. It doesn't have to be photo realistic, yet it doesn't have to be the child friendly cartoon stylings of Mario. They get to keep the same hardware focus, and we get what we want. This could also bring companies who want to create games in this style to Nintendo. It makes me wonder why they don't push for the Tales Of games. 

Well the thing is that creating new core titles could help, but generally Nintendo hires third party to make second party titles for them like Sony when they work on things themselves to increase the internal offerings. Third party generally cover the rest and whoever has the third party is a threat to win the war. First party can only do so much. The Wii wasn't a normal situation. Its what was known as a fad.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
bigtakilla said:

True, but it isn't to late for Nintendo to try and establish their own core titles, and the impact may be small now, but could definitely blossom. All it would take was a show that people on Nintendo consoles want those style games. I think japanese anime influenced art styles are also a great way to go for Nintendo as it doesn't involve them having to try and bend to two different gamers wants. It doesn't have to be photo realistic, yet it doesn't have to be the child friendly cartoon stylings of Mario. They get to keep the same hardware focus, and we get what we want. This could also bring companies who want to create games in this style to Nintendo. It makes me wonder why they don't push for the Tales Of games. 

Well the thing is that creating new core titles could help, but generally Nintendo hires third party to make second party titles for them like Sony when they work on things themselves to increase the internal offerings. Third party generally cover the rest and whoever has the third party is a threat to win the war. First party can only do so much. The Wii wasn't a normal situation. Its what was known as a fad.

But expand the first party to cover genres it hasn't had a popular title in such as RPGs and Shooters helps increase the interest of consumers without the help of third party titles. 

bigtakilla said:

So, as we all know Xenoblade Chronicles X is supposed to release on Wii U, and Xenoblade Chronicles is supposed to release on the new 3DS in 2015. My questions are do you think there is a reason they are really pushing both of these games at the same time? How do you think these two games will sell? Do you feel one will push the others sales? Can Xenoblade Chronicles X sell on par with games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros? Do you think they will try to make this series the fourth leg of the foundation of Nintendo as a company (along with Mario, Link, and Samus)? Do you find it funny how a game that wasn't even suppose to release Worldwide could wind up a cornerstone?

I love Xenoblade, but it's a niche RPG game will never be comparable to Mario Kart who has mass appeal. 

bigtakilla said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

But expand the first party to cover genres it hasn't had a popular title in such as RPGs and Shooters helps increase the interest of consumers without the help of third party titles. 

Well then we're recreating a Sega situation. Nintendo kept all third party deadlocked to their console and Sega was forced to go first party for almost every genre that they had. It only helped until the marketshare opened up so Nintendo couldnt keep third party couped up in the 90's.

yvanjean said:
bigtakilla said:

So, as we all know Xenoblade Chronicles X is supposed to release on Wii U, and Xenoblade Chronicles is supposed to release on the new 3DS in 2015. My questions are do you think there is a reason they are really pushing both of these games at the same time? How do you think these two games will sell? Do you feel one will push the others sales? Can Xenoblade Chronicles X sell on par with games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros? Do you think they will try to make this series the fourth leg of the foundation of Nintendo as a company (along with Mario, Link, and Samus)? Do you find it funny how a game that wasn't even suppose to release Worldwide could wind up a cornerstone?

I love Xenoblade, but it's a niche RPG game will never be comparable to Mario Kart who has mass appeal. 

For now, I remember when online shooters and MMOs were niche.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well then we're recreating a Sega situation. Nintendo kept all third party deadlocked to their console and Sega was forced to go first party for almost every genre that they had. It only helped until the marketshare opened up so Nintendo couldnt keep third party couped up in the 90's.

To a degree, but Nintendo's first party is WAY more popular than Sega's was, and is looking to become much more diverse. 

bigtakilla said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

To a degree, but Nintendo's first party is WAY more popular than Sega's was, and is looking to become much more diverse. 

It was, but if third party wasn't beholden to them we would never have known how much exposure Sega could've had by association by owning the console itself. People nine times out of ten tend to choose things based on what is easiest to focus on or relatable, which means the console they have. Less people were given the chance to go over to Sega because Nintendo had the third party (and even then their relationship with them wasnt great).  I think the highest sales in two generations that Sega could gain in was 40 M. Nintendo Sold 60+ and 50 million+ losing some marketshare to Sega before Sony arrived. Once Sony came their marketshare sunk down to half of what they had in their first generation.

bigtakilla said:
yvanjean said:
bigtakilla said:

Xenoblade on Wii hasn't even sold a million copies ... you're love for the game and genre has you blinded.

Xenoblade on WiiU and new 3ds will either have mild sucess or be a failure.

The WiiU has a very small install base and good portion of them are younger children playing Mario Kart or Super Mario. With the Teen rating it's shrink the potential market.  The WiiU market in 2015 will be maybe 15 Million, the game will be a sucess if it sales more than 500K. 

Same about the New 3DS the game will only run on the new system and the small install base will hurt the massive success of this game. The game on New 3DS is simply a port so doesnt really need to sell that many to Suceed.

RPG is more niche then ever and doesnt fit in the busy world of current gamers if anything popularity is at a all time low now. The only bright light was Bravely Default reminded developper that there is a market for turn base or action RPG. Still Bravely Default is not even a million sellers.

yvanjean said:
bigtakilla said:
yvanjean said:
bigtakilla said:

Xenoblade on Wii hasn't even sold a million copies ... you're love for the game and genre has you blinded.

The WiiU has a very small install base and good portion of them are younger children playing Mario Kart or Super Mario. With the Teen rating it's shrink the potential market.  The WiiU market in 2015 will be maybe 15 Million, the game will be a sucess if it sales more than 500K. 

Same about the New 3DS the game will only run on the new system and the small install base will hurt the massive success of this game. The game on New 3DS is simply a port so doesnt really need to sell that many to Suceed.

RPG is more niche then ever and doesnt fit in the busy world of current gamers if anything popularity is at a all time low now. The only bright light was Bravely Default reminded developper that there is a market for turn base or action RPG. Still Bravely Default is not even a million sellers.

Bolded cannot be proven. That said, having Xenoblade on just the New 3DS will hurt sales, yet again another obstacle Xenoblade Chronicles will have to face that Xenoblade Chronicles X wont. There will be a small install base, but enough there that I could see it selling a lot lifetime. Everything else Xenoblade Chronicles X will have the upper hand on Xenoblade. 

bigtakilla said:
yvanjean said:

Bolded cannot be proven. That said, having Xenoblade on just the New 3DS will hurt sales, yet again another obstacle Xenoblade Chronicles will have to face that Xenoblade Chronicles X wont. There will be a small install base, but enough there that I could see it selling a lot lifetime. Everything else Xenoblade Chronicles X will have the upper hand on Xenoblade. 

HAHA you are kidding me right? Nintendo consider themself a toy company that specialize in video games for Family entertainment. 

There main target is pre-teen. Just watch any Nintendo commercial. 

Xenoblade Chronicle X will most likely release in late summer with a very small marketing effort and will have similar sales result to Bayonneta 2 and Hyrule Warriors. 

On a side note I made my 11 year old nephew fall in love with Xenoblade Chronicles... I was very suprise how he was able to enjoy this game as much as I did.

Xenoblade is  one of my all time favorite game and I'm glad to be part of a small niche group that knows what a masterpiece is Xenoblade CHronicles.