By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Art of #GamerGate

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
RolStoppable said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

You claim I disregarded all the male journalists involved, yet I simply wasn't talking about them, because I was talking about the death threats to Zoe specifically.

Is there a reason to believe that all the death threats were legitimate? I don't mean in the sense that people would drive to Zoe's house and get the job done, but that the people who posted the threats are indeed gamers and not some shills.

I don't think there is any way to prove their legitamacy, all I assume we do know is that they were made. But honestly I think that is irrelevant. I'm a 20 something year old male, yet I don't fantasize about school shootings, I'm black yet I've never been to prison, I'm a gamer but I've never sent a death threat, or even a letter to devs publishers or reviewers. 

Why am I suddently part of a sick culture of sending death threats because I don't like a thing? How come I'm not simply a gamer because I like to play video games?

Almost makes me want to start a #notyoursoapbox tag trend to get people to stop attaching to games and forcing social stigmata's on people who just want to play and enjoy the games they love.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
I haven't watched the video yet, but I think it's important to remember that no matter what GamerGate started out as, it's changed. Media (and not just gaming media - media as a whole) has determined what it is about NOW. The discourse now is about misogyny within the gaming community, that has been determined by the larger debate. 

GG "followers" might argue that it's about journalistic integrity, but that's not what is being discussed when talking about GG nowadays; it's shifted towards death threats and online harassment.

So media and "journalists" determine what's true or not by pushing their bullshit clickbait articles? Sorry but nope. You and these profesional bloggers AKA "journalists" are entitled to your own opinions but you're not entitled to you own facts.

Saying that something public, like #GG is nothing only about soggy knees and harassment because of some dumb trolls on both sides is like saying Google is a pedophile ring because you can find that stuff using it.

These wide blanket statements that appeal to emotion and not concious tought are really a waste of time need to go away. Goes for both sides, really.

DanneSandin said:
HoloDust said:
DanneSandin said:
I haven't watched the video yet, but I think it's important to remember that no matter what GamerGate started out as, it's changed. Media (and not just gaming media - media as a whole) has determined what it is about NOW. The discourse now is about misogyny within the gaming community, that has been determined by the larger debate.

GG "followers" might argue that it's about journalistic integrity, but that's not what is being discussed when talking about GG nowadays; it's shifted towards death threats and online harassment.

Perhaps you should watch few videos before stating something like this, cause that is exactly what those journalists want you to believe. By picking few bad apples and then focusing everything on misogyny and harassment, which neither #gamergate nor #notyourshield condone, quite the opposite, game media is deliberetly diverting issue from its own corruption - which is nothing suprising tbh, specially with, shall I say testimonies, like Tachikoma's in recent thread here, about how deep that rabbit hole goes.

If you want to learn a bit more about all this, you can, for instance, google GamerGate and Totalbiscuit, instead of believing whatever major game media outlets that have a stake in all this are telling you.

But I'm not talking about game journalism, am I? I said media as a whole has determined what GamerGate is, and it's not about journalistic intregtrity any more. It started out as such, but with all the misogyny, harassments and death threats, that's where the debate has shifted. If you wanna discuss journalistic integrity you really need to start a different movement, move away from the term GG, because no media outlet will take you seriously using that term. I'm NOT saying that game journalism shouldn't be scruttiniesed, but it should be done so without all the other things murking said debate.

Several people have already answered you on this, specially Tachikoma, so I'm just going to repeat one part - that is exactly what they want you to believe, and that is what you obviously fell for.

Again, look up bit more on the matter, and you will see amount of manipulation from gaming media (and media in general, who are after sensationalism) and how hard they are trying to portray GG as violent group of "white male misogynyst nerds" in order to dodge the main issue...which in return started #notyourshield, but you won't be seeing that in most major game media outlets since that does not suite their agendas.

DanneSandin said:
Podings said:
Fuck GamerGate.

Not only is it the stupidest name ever, do to not being a conspiracy and not actually being about games, but it shouldn't be news to anyone that journalism as performed by people who're not actually educated journalists is rife with nepotism, bribery, and general favoritism.
It should be no surprise that award shows arranged by these people are rigged.

Aside from that, videogames are now the biggest entertainment industry, so it is bound to have more shadowy dealings than even the movie industry.

GamerGate is a bunch of teenagers and Peter Pan syndrome 20-somethings acting like something is being taken away from them, or that their way of life is threatened. At this point they are getting louder and more nonsensical than even the 3rd gen feminists on tumblr.

Ultimately, the discussion of who paid who to say what is NOT a discussion about video games, and if anything illegal has happened, internet vigilantism is the least effective way to deal with it.

Well said!

I dont get the general hate here and i dont think there is a general understanding of where many people are coming from.

I dont think anything is beeing taken away or anyone is acting like something is beeing taken away. I think gamers in general just dont care about this debate. The problem is that gaming journalists are insisting in shoving it down our collective thoats.
I mean, Polygon's Bayonetta 2 review was ridiculous. What do i care wether the guy has personal issue with the sexism or not. I want to know how good the game is. Social agenda isnt part of game reviews.

Nem said:
DanneSandin said:
Podings said:
Fuck GamerGate.

Not only is it the stupidest name ever, do to not being a conspiracy and not actually being about games, but it shouldn't be news to anyone that journalism as performed by people who're not actually educated journalists is rife with nepotism, bribery, and general favoritism.
It should be no surprise that award shows arranged by these people are rigged.

Aside from that, videogames are now the biggest entertainment industry, so it is bound to have more shadowy dealings than even the movie industry.

GamerGate is a bunch of teenagers and Peter Pan syndrome 20-somethings acting like something is being taken away from them, or that their way of life is threatened. At this point they are getting louder and more nonsensical than even the 3rd gen feminists on tumblr.

Ultimately, the discussion of who paid who to say what is NOT a discussion about video games, and if anything illegal has happened, internet vigilantism is the least effective way to deal with it.

Well said!

I dont get the general hate here and i dont think there is a general understanding of where many people are coming from.

I dont think anything is beeing taken away or anyone is acting like something is beeing taken away. I think gamers in general just dont care about this debate. The problem is that gaming journalists are insisting in shoving it down our collective thoats.
I mean, Polygon's Bayonetta 2 review was ridiculous. What do i care wether the guy has personal issue with the sexism or not. I want to know how good the game is. Social agenda isnt part of game reviews.

There is a difference between not caring about an issue and being unaware of an issue. The general gaming populace falls in line with the former. And its not like unethical gaming journalism is harmless. Its actively snuffed out some indie chances. Gamers are subtely manipulated by the media and obviously don't realize how important the media is in regards to any entertainment industry let alone this one. 

Look at W101 and how its poor advetising heavily affected its sales.

Its honestly worse if its deliberate ignoring rather than just ignorance, since that suggest that gamer's like being told what to think, and unlike the DRM controversy that happened last year, by the time enough people get mad the damage will be done, and we'll find ourselves in the Movie Industry.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Feminism is for the advancement of women at the expense of men.

Men fight wars.
Men pay child support.
Men work physical labor 40+ hours a week.
Men are more likely to be homeless.
Men are more likely to commit suicide
Men are the minority on college campuses.
Men are less likely to graduate college.

Yet there's a patriarchy and women are oppressed. In fact, women are so oppressed, that it extends to video games. Where some of the most well known, best selling, and critically acclaimed games star females (Ms. Pac-man, Tomb Raider, Metroid, etc.)

'Gamergate' will rage on for quite awhile I'm afraid. And it will only get worse as gamers become more and more defensive from the constant cheap shots from the misandrist media.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Nem said:

Then ignore them out of existence. It's a few reviews out of a hundred, don't pay them attention. Fighting them is as fruitless a course as theirs is.