By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 3 has sold 5 million in Europe

Friday, 25 January 2008

The PlayStation Network's success in Europe has been a surprise to David Reeves, President of SCEE. In an interview he reveals "We’ve now got about 2 million PSN registrations. That’s about 40 per cent of users." Which means that, using his figures, approximately 5 million PlayStation 3 consoles have been sold in Europe.

Reeves goes on to reveal that there are now 25 different PSN stores in the PAL territories, and that there have been around 33 million downloads (he doesn't say if that includes free downloads.)

Growth sales in Australia have been strong, up 45%, and Italy up 70%. The market in virgin territories is also expanding; in Russia it rose 80%.Last week the PlayStation 3 outsold the Xbox 360 in PAL territories by a ratio of 3:1. Positive of continued growth Reeves says "the team here expect to overtake installed base of Xbox 360 across PAL territories in late summer."

He confirmed that PlayTV will launch in 5 key EU territories at the end of April, and h
e reiterated that PlayStation Home is still on track to launch in Spring. Which is great news because I can't wait to customise my Home avatar to look like the perfect version of myself that I know I never will be.

http://www.playthree.net/2008/01/playstation-3-has-sold-5-million-in.html

Around the Network

Old news, already discussed. 40% of registrations means that 40% of PSN registrations are in Europe.

The conclusion is that there are 5 million PSN accounts world-wide, not that there are 5 million PS3s in Europe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Shiped probably . This means that nearly 50% of the EU sales register their PS3s online :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

That article is over a month old and has been discussed back then if I recall correctly.

And what's with all the drag queen avatars?

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Old news, already discussed. 40% of registrations means that 40% of PSN registrations are in Europe.

The conclusion is that there are 5 million PSN accounts world-wide, not that there are 5 million PS3s in Europe.

sorry, my mistake

reverie said:
And what's with all the drag queen avatars?

+1 =D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

this is old news, but its amazing that ps3 sold this many consoles in europe and it hasnt even been out a full year yet.

Very old news, but I don't understand why someone would not connect their PS3 to the internet

For christmas 2007 UK PS3 sales account for about 20-22% of the European market (similar as was the case for the PS2 lifetime sales). If this ratio holds true for all PS3 sales, at the time Chart Track / MCV reported 1 million PS3 sales for the UK (13th of February 2008), the total PS3 European install was about 4.84 million, add to this additional weeks worth of sales and countries not covered by SCEE the PS3 install base may well be above 5 million for "others" currently.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales