By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would be the better move for Nintendo with the Wii U, temporary price cut or use the money on a huge advertisement campaign

So what should they do?

Price cut!!!!! 100 33.67%

Advertisement!!! 197 66.33%

Total:297

At this point in time the Wii-U has gotten itself stuck into a position where neither a price cut or a huge advertising campaign will save the system.

The problem is that right now when you are buying a Wii-U you are getting a system with last-gen capabilities and a tablet controller included for mostly just navigating menus. It runs very few games available at retail, with very few to look forward to. Its sandwiched between the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 which are cheaper and have lots more games, and the Xbox One and Playstation 4 which are pricier but have capabilities far beyond it. The only semi-advantage you get with a Wii-U is that you get to play Mario games on it, and even thats a trade-off for next to no third party support.

In Europe, Nintendo hardly ever talk to the press or developers, and adverts for their games are usually relegated to late nights on free-to-air channels. Nintendo have relegated their "advertising" to Nintendo Direct broadcasts, which are only really watched by hardcore Nintendo fans, and not by mainstream gamers. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand show ads on TV all the time, even at peak times, and talk to the press and developers openly.

An advertising boost wouldn't work as they are still selling a system that's compromised by design and has very few third party games to come. A price drop wouldn't work as it will still be compared negatively to the PS3/X360 on Price and functionality. Nintendo have got themselves in the position SEGA found themselves in with the Saturn, where they couldn't sell the system after annoying Consumers, Developers, and Retailers.

Of the two choices though, i'm going to opt for "Price Drop". Because honestly the only way they can sell any more Wii-Us is if they cut the price stupidly low to undercut the PS3 and X360 - think Ouya/Fire TV pricing.

Flash Sentry's #1 Fan (unofficially).

Around the Network

Price cut for me; advertisement for them

Advertise the Wii U and all of the awesome games that have been on it since launch and the price won't matter.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Hedra42 said:

Not all parents are necessarily gamers. And one area that Nintendo should be targeting is parents that will be buying for their kids. Advertisment is to raise awareness and educate potential buyers, whoever they are.

My kids read the Beano comic - this week's issue has a full back page advertisement of Mario Kart 8, it advertises the Wii U MK8 bundle, and even mentions Smash Bros and Sonic Boom games coming out. There's a competition to win a Wii U as well.

Maybe they're getting the idea, now, but it needs to be everywhere. Billboards, TV, everything.

You do know that I'm supporting advertisement right? I just don't think anybody that views themselves as a gamer already knows about the Wii U. I know there are parents or people that just stopped gaming and could start again. Advertisement is desperately needed especially now that Nintendo's key fighter (in more ways than one) Smash Bros is here. This holiday season is the most important time to advertise in the foreseeable future.

silvergunner said:

At this point in time the Wii-U has gotten itself stuck into a position where neither a price cut or a huge advertising campaign will save the system.

The problem is that right now when you are buying a Wii-U you are getting a system with last-gen capabilities and a tablet controller included for mostly just navigating menus. It runs very few games available at retail, with very few to look forward to. Its sandwiched between the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 which are cheaper and have lots more games, and the Xbox One and Playstation 4 which are pricier but have capabilities far beyond it. The only semi-advantage you get with a Wii-U is that you get to play Mario games on it, and even thats a trade-off for next to no third party support.

In Europe, Nintendo hardly ever talk to the press or developers, and adverts for their games are usually relegated to late nights on free-to-air channels. Nintendo have relegated their "advertising" to Nintendo Direct broadcasts, which are only really watched by hardcore Nintendo fans, and not by mainstream gamers. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand show ads on TV all the time, even at peak times, and talk to the press and developers openly.

An advertising boost wouldn't work as they are still selling a system that's compromised by design and has very few third party games to come. A price drop wouldn't work as it will still be compared negatively to the PS3/X360 on Price and functionality. Nintendo have got themselves in the position SEGA found themselves in with the Saturn, where they couldn't sell the system after annoying Consumers, Developers, and Retailers.

Of the two choices though, i'm going to opt for "Price Drop". Because honestly the only way they can sell any more Wii-Us is if they cut the price stupidly low to undercut the PS3 and X360 - think Ouya/Fire TV pricing.

I label people as Nintendo haters as soon as they start calling the Wii U a last generation console, but I digress. A common proverb is this: quality over quantity. This would mean one amazing game is better than five mediocre games. You can say what you want, but Nintendo's exclusives are almost always very high quality. You can say the Wii U is doomed, but you might as well say the Xbox One is doomed because they haven't broken the Wii U's sales numbers.

Around the Network

Pushing the WIiU from this point would be pointless.It is what it is and can not be anymore.I would rather they finally out that money into some new franchises and develop better hardware and a "good" controller.I thought about getting a WiiU last year,but bought a 3DS instead and I don't even like handhelds. The 3DS was a better option though.

Tough choice.

Since Nintendos ads probably won't attract all too many gamers, I'd say price cut.

That said, I think producing more games will be even more fruitful, since it's the percieved droughts which killed the system. F-Zero, Metroid, Mario Sport titles, Paper Mario, et cetera, there are enough dormant IPs right now which can be used to fill the gaps

I'd say price cut.

Advertising obviously. A price cut is useless if people don't even know about it.

Ka-pi96 said:
I think the best choice for them would just be to give up on the Wii U and spend the money on their next console instead.

I'm pretty sure they make a profit on every Wii U sold now, then they get the software money so they can make some money off it even if they don't do much. While if they were to spend money on advertising or price cuts and it doesn't really pay off they could end up with a loss. Best just to invest the money in the future, their next console has a much better chance of being hugely succesful than the Wii U does right now so that should take priority.

You don't own one, do you?