By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would be the better move for Nintendo with the Wii U, temporary price cut or use the money on a huge advertisement campaign

So what should they do?

Price cut!!!!! 100 33.67%

Advertisement!!! 197 66.33%

Total:297

For starters they need to release more than 5-6 first party titles per year. Having prevalent droughts just strips away momentum

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
For what you get with a Wii U, the price is more than fair. They need to make good advertisements for their games. I miss the old Nintendo when they had creative ads. The Mario Kart DS and Zelda: A link to the past commercials are novel and very hard to forget.

The problem with the current bundles is the lack of options, sure getting 3D world and Nintendo Land is great for some, but not everyone is interested on those titles, I think a few gamers will think about buying a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 (or some other title) if the console was cheaper and Nintendo can do it!, just remove 3D World from the current package and sell it for 250 U$, that is not even a price drop just offering more options (and a cheaper one) to the buyers.

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Yeah but they will, and if they stand any chance of having a successful home system again they need to fight MS and Sony at their own game.

There is no more lightning in a bottle scenarios for Nintendo Rol, Wii was a once in a lifetime thing.

What you suggest is the safest path to failure.

And really, you honestly believe that it's impossible for Nintendo to come up with something captivating in an entertainment industry? Despite their track record? Then again, you think that the Wii is a once in a lifetime thing.

Yeah I do. Somehow Sony have managed 80m+ with every console they've delivered, yet Nintendo's track record isn't nearly as rosey, they've only ever had moderate hits and Wii is the outlier.

Getting anything to sell well is going to require Nintendo taking MS and Sony seriously as competition.

They don't have another shot at that casual market or an IT product, I was say it's impossible for them.

permanent price cut like gamecube had 50 in its first year,it also got another 50 in its second year!it s time, nintendocombine smash bros mario kart 8 effect with aprice cut...

Neither one will do any good. The Nintendo brand took a major hit post Wii and DS. I personally feel that most mainstream consumers will no longer trust Nintendo's ability to deliver sustained value for their home consoles. Back to back home consoles with severe gaming droughts and their inability to foster the driving tech (gamepad and wii mote) for their machines really have left a black mark. Nintendo knows this and that is why their main focus this gen is to milk those customers who are overtly loyal, no real expansion is necessary. For the rest of the gaming public, no amount of advertising or price cut is going to help in that matter.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure they would be selling Wii U's at a loss again if there was another price cut. If I were Nintendo I would take this time to make sure as many people buy the Wii U as possible at the same price. I see a future of amazing bundles, subpar advertising(which will be a lot for Nintendo), and various other promotionals.

Train wreck said:
Neither one will do any good. The Nintendo brand took a major hit post Wii and DS. I personally feel that most mainstream consumers will no longer trust Nintendo's ability to deliver sustained value for their home consoles. Back to back home consoles with severe gaming droughts and their inability to foster the driving tech (gamepad and wii mote) for their machines really have left a black mark. Nintendo knows this and that is why their main focus this gen is to milk those customers who are overtly loyal, no real expansion is necessary. For the rest of the gaming public, no amount of advertising or price cut is going to help in that matter.

Advertising won't help gamers to buy the Wii U, it never could. Gamers already know what the Wii U is. Advertisement is for the people who owned previous Nintendo consoles but are out of touch with the industry.

Just keep the good games coming and pop singers pretending to enjoy the console

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

$150 price cut please

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Yeah I do. Somehow Sony have managed 80m+ with every console they've delivered, yet Nintendo's track record isn't nearly as rosey, they've only ever had moderate hits and Wii is the outlier.

Getting anything to sell well is going to require Nintendo taking MS and Sony seriously as competition.

They don't have another shot at that casual market or an IT product, I was say it's impossible for them.

First time ever that someone described the NES as a moderate hit.

60m? Every Playstation will surpass that and even XB1 has a good shot at outselling it.

Think, when this gen is over NES could be down to the 8th highest selling home console of all time, and given this was Nintendo's highest selling console up until Wii ....

40m - 65m is a moderate hit, it's Playstation 1, 2 and 3, Xbox 360 and Wii all selling over 90m that are big.