By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever had 2nd thoughts because of Metacritic?

How Metacritic influenced you?

Waited for game to get cheaper. 15 22.06%

Cancelled a pre-order, wa... 2 2.94%

Lost all the interest for the game. 15 22.06%

Affected my opinion at fi... 4 5.88%

Didn't affect my percept... 13 19.12%

Other / FY Metacritic! 19 27.94%

Total:68
Gammalad said:
For me it depends, if its a game I know I want to buy nothing is going to change my mind, however if its a game I am on the fence about, it can sway my decision to buying it new, or waiting till I can get it on sale.

Yep, if I had lots of money I wouldn't mind so much and would support those with so-so reviews. But I've been more in the fence lately and I think it's because of these metacritic wars that impact the industry negatively.

And then there are the high rated games <90: you are either "forced" to get them or they're overrated, there's never a true concensus and ppl will always complain on the both ends of the spectrum. 

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network

Tbh, I don't really understand why people hate Metacritic so much. The way I see it, it's not Metacritic's fault if a game gets lackluster reviews. The website's job is to compile review scores from DIFFERENT websites to get an average or final score. 

For me, I actually use the site very actively. And yes, it has helped me make certain decisions on games.
For example, when New Super Mario Bros 2 just came out on the 3DS, I looked it up on Metacritic, and saw it got around 70.
Simple as that, I decided to wait it out. I eventually played it... and Metacritic was right. Though, I do believe that there are games
that are better than their review scores (Luigi's Mansion, DKC: TF, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Metroid Prime 3, etc). 

Metacritic has never influenced my purchasing decisions. Ever. I think it's a terrible metric for measuring how good a game is. And it's taken as fact too often.

Some have my favorite games have scored below 60, and there's games over 90 that I dislike.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

No. It may have in the past until I saw the scores in franchises that I liked. They thought Resistance 3 was worse than 2? They thought ACiT was worse than ToD? They thought the first Ratchet was better than ACiT? They thought the first Jak was better than 3? They thought Thieves in Time was the worst Sly?  They thought Ascension was worse than Chains of Olympus?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I use Metacritic all of the time in order to separate the wheat from the chaff. Why waste time researching Aliens: Colonial Marines when that time could be better spent scrutinizing Alien: Isolation?

Around the Network

Yes, I usually buy without hesitation games with a metascore of 75+ if I was interested on the first place, I delay the purchase of games between 60 and 74, and mostly ignore anything below 60. And sometimes I get interested in titles above 85 that were not previously in my radar or to buy list, for those I do a little more research and if they match my tastes I buy them.

Not really.. I don't use Metascritic when it comes to buying games or something.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Not Metacritic specifically but for the few gaming sites I read reviews on, every once in awhile, they might make me wait a bit longer to pick up a game. At least until it's cheaper.

Metacritic gives Army of Darkness a 57. I think that pretty much sums up Metacritics worth.

MetaCritic would only validate my purchases as I only gravitate to good games...

...Sans the time I bought Hello Kitty The VideoGame.