By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Game of the Year Edition hits PS3 next month

jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
Zekkyou said:
jlmurph2 said:
Triple dipping? Wow.

What's wrong with a GOTY edition? They're just full content versions of the original, intended to entice those who haven't bought it yet. They usually replace the original version.

Heck, TLOU:R was essentially a GOTY edition for PS4 owners. It was a good move, too. A lot of PS4 owners never had the chance to play TLOU since they didn't own a PS3.

And 68 million of the remaining 75 million PS3 owners who don't have a PS4 or TLOU also have the chance to by the complete package at a pretty cheap price.

Fact of the matter is the vast majority of PS3 and PS4 owners don't own TLOU, and they've never played it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to entice more people to buy the game. They are actually not trying to convince people who already own the game to buy it a 2nd or 3rd time.

Comments like "triple dipping" are just pathetic.

Don't act like there's actually that many people to sell to. You have to think about used game sales, renting, borrowing, people replacing older consoles with slimmer versions and simply not caring for the game. There's not much more audience to sell to. I'm not saying tripple dipping on consumers part, I'm talking about Sony.

As long as every time I enter a "[game] has GOTY edition" thread I see you there with a "double dipping" comment then fine you are being consistent at least. If not then you are being disingenuous here.

I guess if there's no one left to sell to then it will sell very very badly and won't even give the game a small 1 week boost. But the game is still selling on PS3, with a VGC estimated 8K per week and I'm sure those 8K or so people per week who buy it will quite like the extra content they will be getting when it comes out.

Aside from your own personal taste, are you saying that the most GOTY'd game in history, that did release DLC over the last 12 months, doesn't deserve an all major DLC included GOTY edition for the console on which it originally released? Not having a GOTY edition on PS3 would actually seems a bit mean of Sony, IMO.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Sharpryno said:
binary solo said:
Zekkyou said:

What's wrong with a GOTY edition? They're just full content versions of the original, intended to entice those who haven't bought it yet. They usually replace the original version.

Heck, TLOU:R was essentially a GOTY edition for PS4 owners. It was a good move, too. A lot of PS4 owners never had the chance to play TLOU since they didn't own a PS3.

And 68 million of the remaining 75 million PS3 owners who don't have a PS4 or TLOU also have the chance to by the complete package at a pretty cheap price.

Fact of the matter is the vast majority of PS3 and PS4 owners don't own TLOU, and they've never played it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to entice more people to buy the game. They are actually not trying to convince people who already own the game to buy it a 2nd or 3rd time.

Comments like "triple dipping" are just pathetic.

Anyone who compares its value to the MCC is pathetic.  MCC actually has effort applied.

I know plenty of people that simply watched the game on twitch the first day it released.  Its gameplay is nothing special, people just like it for its story.  Nothing wrong with that, but comments like "Game of the Generation" are ridiculous. 

Did you quote the wrong person? I don't see where I or Zekk actually said or even implied such a thing. Our posts are solely about TLOU.

And I didn't call anyone pathetic, I just said a triple dipping comment is pathetic. There's a difference.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Zekkyou said:

It's all a matter of choice. A matter of how long people are willing to wait, and what sort of practices they are willing to participate in. I'm not going to criticize a company for the choices of their customers, not as long as those customers had a choice in the matter.

As long as that choice remains, i couldn't give two shits what [x] or [y] do. If i don't like it, they don't get my money. Simplez.

Like I said, in a vacuum I wouldn't really care (mostly for the reason you stated). What I don't like about it is that it instills a mindset of "wait and save" in consumers (like Steam has done, and equivalent to the problems Apple now faces with its app-store from all the "free conditioning" they've put their consumer base through) and are on the flip-side of the same coin of publishers also gutting games with pre-order "bonuses" or "exclusives" to get you to pony up early or risk not getting the "complete game" (especially not if you buy it used) unless you wait XYZ time to buy the "complete edition". They're incentivizing and chasing two polar opposite things, while conditioning their consumer base for the worse.

Now if we want to talk specifically about this title... ND has been pretty iffy in my eyes with this and the remaster, and how they launched DLC shortly *after* the remaster so that it wouldn't be included... and now we have another GotY thing, given on another platform. A lot of Uncharted 2 level bullshit from them recently. So color me sour.

m0ney said:
I played it on Youtube for 0.00$

This is the superior way to play the single player.

The MP however is fan fucking tastic.

XanderXT said:
This is basically The Last of Us Remastered with marginally worse  graphics and 30fps.

Fixed.

Around the Network

Jokes aside,i think it's pretty possible for TLOU(PS3) to break 8 millions milestone thanks to this goty edition.

BraLoD said:

Also, should be called Game of the Generation edition xD

That title belongs to CoD 4.

I don't see the fuss around this, praticaly every big games get a GOTY edition later down the road. If people are willing to buy it again then why not let them it's not like Sony forces them to do so.

I remember people complaining because Tomb Raider got a complete edition on the new consoles at the same price but essentialy this is the same case so I expect people to not complain at the next franchise "milking" from Acti, Ubi, SE or EA.

1) to the user or the users saying this is a "triple dip".... all i have to say is, do you really underestimate peoples intelligence that much (do you belive they are idiots?), or is it that you think that sony is forcing them with a gun to their heads to buy the game again???.

this makes no sense at all, if someone bought the game on the PS3 and then on the PS4, why on earth would they buy the game again on the PS3??? especially considering that it is the same edition as the remastered version on the PS4, (just with lower resolution, textures or graphics and Framerate).

even those who bought only the game on PS3 have no reason to buy it again on the PS3, you know why? because its cheaper to just buy the DLC instead of buying the game again... this GOTY edition is for those who only have a PS3 and havent bought the game yet, and yes this is another attemp to get the people to buy the game BUT, is that something wrong? the answer is NO (you are not forcing people to buy it), and finally not every year or every generation do you get a game of THIS QUALITY, and when you do, you have ALL the reasons to PUSH it and advertise it as much as you can.

2) i Agree with all of this comments:

BraLoD said:
ethomaz said:

This game...

Well this game will reach 10 million shipped.

Possible the biggest exclusive after Halo and GT last gen.

And being a new IP...
Yeah, TLOU is the real deal, that's why some people just can't accept anything related to it and feel the need to attack it.

OttoniBastos said:
The amount of non-PS gamers butthurted with this game is too damn high.

TLOU a movie?

Please go back to /v/ or go play your dudebro,multiplayer game with no lore or plot

inb4 smeags

this guys are troll baiting this thread since page 1

3) as someone who waited a year to play the game for the first time,because i decided to wait for the inevitable GOTY edition or definitive edition i have some stuff to say about this game, so listen to me well all of you NON PS GAMERS.

I spent more than a year seeing perfect scores on Metacritic, watching it get more than 200 GOTY awards and reading comments of user saying "this is the GAME OF THE GENERATION", and people hyping this game to the heavens and beyond, and i thought possibly the same thing that you NON PS GAMERS thought, i thought that it was a very good or possibly a great game, but that it was getting a lot of hype and praises that were hard to justify, in other words i thought it was getting a little overhyped.

and so i spent more than a year with my expectations and hype for this game through the ROOF, in fact my expectations were SO HIGH that i didnt thought that the game was gonna meet those expectations.... and you know what? after all of that it still ended up SURPASSING MY EXPECTATIONS, thats how GREAT this game really is. everything in this game surprised me: the writting, the lore, the characters, the story, the GAMEPLAY, the level desing, the music, the in game mechanics (craftging, combat mechanics, the amazing meele combat system that reacts acoording to the enviroment), the voice acting everything was F#cking amazing.

Ellie herself is probably the best NPC ever made (and im not the only one who thinks that), she looks, acts, and behaves in such a way that it convinces you that shes real, and she is also really helpful in combat and the level of attachment you develop to her through the game is something never seen, (i have never CARED for any NPC or in fact for any character from a GAME, MOVIE or TV SERIES as much as i cared for Ellie).

im sure that by now there are people (who havent played the game) who think i am overreacting and just gushing for the game, but im NOT... there is a reason why there is so many people praising this game, and thats because the game DESERVES THE PRAISE. and if you still dont belive me here are two videos that expand on what i said, (heck this game even changed the life of someone, as you will see on the video below), OH and there is more about Ellie in both videos that backs up my claim of her being probably the Best NPC ever made.

Now finally i must say, if you happen to own a PS3 or PS4 you MUST play this game (even if you are not a fan of Survival-Horror and or Action-Adventure games you will still be amazed) this game is truly a MUST OWN.

and finally i can say without a doubt GAME OF THE GENERATION.

BraLoD said: Not IMO, and that huge ammount of awards it got also doesn't agree with that

I don't think they should use that Game of the Generation moniker. It would just pale in comparison to this.