By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is this Gen of Consoles just WEAK?

GTAexpert said:

It really depends on which games you've played on them. Cross-generation games are not a good indicator. If you play Driveclub, you'll know what I mean by generational leap. It looks far better than anything on PS360.

I have not played Drive Club yet, but I have played Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son, and Ryse Son of Rome, deemed to be 3 of the best looking PS4/Xbone games to date.

While all three look great, and better than what PS3/360 could produce, it's not the same kind of quantum leap I experienced with Gears of War, Rogue Squadron II, or Mario 64 in previous gens.

Around the Network

I really enjoyed resistance and Killzone shadowfall not :(. That is the big difference with last gen, so much time spend on graphics and less on making the game fun.

this generation games are trying to catch up on PC games and it also push me in the direction of becoming a pc gamer...

Share Play
Virtual Reality
Game Stream (twitch, Ustream)
Game DVR

yup, PS4 is just a overpowered PS3.

GamechaserBE said:
I really enjoyed resistance and Killzone shadowfall not :(. That is the big difference with last gen, so much time spend on graphics and less on making the game fun.

this generation games are trying to catch up on PC games and it also push me in the direction of becoming a pc gamer...

Some games can have both awesome graphics and gameplay, like Infamous: Second Son and Driveclub.

Powerful enough for the next few years. Smartphonegames will increase spec requirements and high end pc gamers will need to get used to scaling back a little bit. Imo the spec average of a consoles is what most future games will aim towards.

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:

Yeah, I felt that with quite a few current gen games; Killzone, Knack, Ryse. They seemed so focussed on pushing technology that the gameplay was a shallow afterthought. :(

GTAexpert said:
GamechaserBE said:

Some games can have both awesome graphics and gameplay, like Infamous: Second Son and Driveclub.

I enjoyed Infamous, I even got a platinum for it (KonnichiwaBE on PSn) but after finishing it I felt a bit dissapointed because it was short and the side missions were a joke. People were hyped and excited for it especially with all those screenshots with amazing graphics but I wish they had more content in the game. If you want more content I have to buy First light :s.

Driveclub was a good example of what I meant, people were more excited for the game because of the gifs rather than what was in the game...

kristianity77 said:
The hardware isn't weak at all. Its just the same problem that everyone always picks up on every time a new generation starts. The games just dont look that much better whilst generations are crossing paths. Take last gen for example, people are saying that was a "big" difference but it most certainly didn't look like it at the start.

Take 360 for example. Go an look back at games like Call Of Duty 2, GUN, Perfect Dark Zero, King Kong, Oblivion, Far Cry Instincts....the list goes on. All of these games look absolutely horrid when compared to what came out on the system a year later. And the games that came out a year or two after that made them games look rubbish and so on and so forth.

A new generation always starts with cross gen ports, or games that look slightly better due to devs working out how to program and get the most out of the system. Its the same every single generation. Don't judge whether a console is underpowered now, ask the question again in say late 2015, early 2016 when games are released solely for this generation and with longer development times.

I don't think they are weak, and whilst its an interesting debate, you have to remember that 99.9% of people who go out and buy xbox ones and PS4s, dont care less. Do they look better than anything on the previous gen? Yes, then that keeps players happy.

I remeber when people dubbed the 360 as "Xbox 1.5". Now it is a "massive jump, oh my god!!". They are comparing launch visuals with eng of  gen visuals for PS360 when launch games like Resistance Fall of Man just looks horrid today.

The consoles pack a pretty good power. The GPUs are fairly strong and there's plenty of memory. The difference to high-end GPUs is just because the market changed. NVidia and ATI are having trouble pushing more power and they are following the route of super-expensive/high comsumption GPU to push a little more. If you compare a GTX 770 with a Titan, of course it loses. But compare their prices. You got double the power by several times the price. This isn't tech, it's just brute force applied to give you power at any costs. The new GTX970/980 are the first time in years that GPUs really use tech instead of brute force to get power.

A lot of points in the OP are ridiculous. About the new consoles being more powerful versions of the old ones, isn't that common? SNES vs NES, Genesis vs Master System, PS1 vs PS2 and the list goes on. They are just more powerful versions of the old ones. And that drives innovation, because games are bounded by the resources they have. And even if you want to count pure innovation, I think that live streaming and video sharing are just a massive innovation by adding more social aspects to games.

GamechaserBE said:

Resistance 2 was one of the worst games I have played on the PS3. It has nothing to do with the generation.

Intrinsic said:
Landguy said:
Intrinsic said:
I dunno, but I think if we were all being objective and realistic here, we all would have come to terms with the fact that we have reached a point where a lot of things will look really good, but nothing will ever blow us away again.

And I don't think that is a bad thing. There are only so many ways you can make a ball look like a ball.

I agree with your comment the most so far.  I t seems that the diminishing returns aspect is what it is.  Sure, the worlds are bigger(look at minecraft) and the graphic are 1080p vs 720p.  But, the whole difference from one gen to another is a lot less visible.  

Can we tell the difference?  of course we can.  I will say, when we went from PS2 to PS3, you could see it without people doing screen captures and counting the pixels.  It was that obvious, the games were a big step up graphically.

Exactly. That is really why I find it funny when I hear people talking about how good a game looks and how powerful Pcs are and stuff. The simple truth is that we are now at a point where everything that sets out to look good looks good. Thats why the most obvious way to diferentiate games now from platform to platform is to strat throwing specs and numbers around. 

Like think about it. a GTX Titan Z is a $3000 GPU. $3000. On paper it runs circles around the GPUs in a PS4 + XB1 combined multiplied by 4. And thats just the GPU. By the time you put in a CPU and everything else you will have a $4000 gaming rig. But if we were to be honest with ourselves, like really sincerely honest. Does BF4, Wtcher 3, Watchdogs...etc look $3600 better on that Rig than the do on the PS4? Does that rig run a game that will be impossible to run on the PS4/XB1? Yes, it will look sharper, run smoother.....etc. But its not $3600 better. 

That is why I am not disappointed wth the PS4/XB1. I am just being realistic. Nvidia and AMD wants gamers to keeping chasing numbers and specs and making them feel like they "need" to always be on the bleeding edge. Thats just not true. I believe that gams will still keep looking better and better every passing year. But I also believe we will never see a game that will blow our minds away gain cause it looks so damn good. We will never have a KZ2 trailer (even if it was faked) moment again. Never.

Actually, its selling for $1500 at Newegg atm Besides.. if you were any other sane person you wouldn't get a Titan JUST for gaming. There are plenty of other high end GPU's out at the moment like the GTX 970/980, GTX 780 Ti, HD 290/X etc for high end/enthusiasts builds.

On topic, the consoles are fine for money. I wouldn't want a repeat of last gens $599 console. We all know how that all went down with the PS3..