By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can somebody explain how a company can just abandon their franchises like this?

Why do companies let their beloved franchises go?

1.) Because they're b**ch-made. 28 65.12%

2.) Because they're b**ch-made. 15 34.88%

Total:43

Neither Sony nor Nintendo owned any of the IPs or devs you mentioned. Blame the IP owners, not the platform.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Like the others in this thread stated ...

Sony never originally owned Crash Bandicoot or Spyro, at the time they belonged to Universal Interactive Studios which by today we come to know as Activision Blizzard.

As for Rare and Nintendo, it's the same case just like above but only this time Rare wasn't worth keeping anymore since they were declining before Microsoft purchased them.

Sony didn't own Spyro or Crash.

Both were owned by Universal Interactive Studios. They merged with Vivendi, Vivendi merged with Activision. Sony can't do anything with a property that they don't own.

People really do like to go on tirades on the interwebs.

fleischr said:
I think Sega, Capcom, and Konami should be more the object of our wrath when it comes to abandoning franchises.

This.

Around the Network

Rare could have continued to be amazing. Star Fox Adventures should have been a classic but Nintendo messed them around, Conker was amazing, and should have been a top seller. Then Microsoft acquired them and instead of nurturing them, they totally ran them into the ground. some staff who jumped ship created Free Radical Design and games like Timesplitters. If the Rare studios had been held together, they could certainly be a big player nowadays, Naughty Dogesque I guess?

RC Pro AM; Solar Jetman; Donkey Kong Country; Killer Instinct; Goldeneye/Perfect Dark; Bank Kazooie/Tooie; Staf Fox Adventures; Jet Force Gemini; Conker's Bad Fur Day amongst others... What amazing talent they had and I hope they're remembered for the great stuff they did, rather than the suffocated avatar making studio they've become now.

Rare was almost dead by that point. Yes, Starfox Adventure was a very good game, but it took a lot of time by RARE standard and it was done with Nintendo's inputs.

Look at what they have done with Microsoft; virtually nothing. Average games quality wise who sold very averagely.

Nintendo getting 185 millions $ for an empty shell was an amazing steal. I had rather see Nintendo continuing to buy small studios like Retro studio (1 millions $) and Monolith (a few millions $) or opening new ones from the ground rather than spending big to keep empty shells like Rare was.

Because they were never their franchises to begin with. Both originally belonged to Vivendi-Universal, which was eventually bought out by Activision. Sony merely had the rights to publish the games exclusively for their console, but not complete ownership. The games' major popularity was the reason why they went multiplat to begin with. If you honestly believe Sony didn't try to keep them, you're crazy. MS and Nintendo basically managed to convince Activsion that making both go multiplat would actually make the IP's stronger and triple their popularity. When that didn't happen, Activision basically gave up, but still refused to let them go on the chance that their demand would someday come back. Kind of like a shitty fallback plan. Sucks, and it would be awesome to see them make a comeback exclusively to Playstation, but it is what it is. Might as well just accept it.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Ape Escape is making its way to be a abandoned franchise in my point view, the last game released was that ape escape move and we didn't have a single title based on the original adventure trilogy for ps2. I just hope that they're holding to release for ps4. I don't have hopes for a F-zero game in this generation... I want to be wrong

We reap what we sow

You should have talked about Syphon Filter/Medeaval (always spell that skeleton game name wrong), Wipeout, Ape escape, Jax and daxter, Legend of Dragoon and going on....because I really want a new ape escape....legend of Dragoon, Jax and daxter following next..