By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Have you changed your mind on if Bayo 2 will flop?

Have you changed your mind on if Bayo 2 will flop?

I always believed it'd do amazing 81 26.13%

I changed my mind at some point 13 4.19%

I still have my doubts, but it may do alright 113 36.45%

Sorry, I still think it'll flop 100 32.26%

Total:307

I believe this game will have a strong cult following, just like a certain Gamecube game called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Around the Network
fleischr said:

Flop: For an exclusive, sells less than 1 million ish units in its first 2 years. Poor critical and user reception may or may not be present and to blame. But more emphasis on sales in determining floppage. 

Examples: ZombiU and Lego City are sort on the brink of floppage. The Wonderful 101 was a flop. Wind Waker HD == not a flop.

Using your definition, it will flop. True the great reviews give it a boost, but for example is getting very hard to buy it in my country and by the time that additional units are available, it will have to compete with Smash, losing without hope.

I am buying my copy and I am really trying to get a few extra for my friends, but is not as easy as it sounds.

If we use fleischr's definition of a flop, then Bayonetta 2 will sadly flop.....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

If we use fleischr's definition of a flop, then Bayonetta 2 will sadly flop.....

Right, let's not kid ourselves. 1 million in sales would really only begin to recoup the costs of developing Bayo 2. If it only musters 700k -ish, thats better than most originally thought, but hardly a figure we'd trumpet as a major sales success.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Torillian said:
fleischr said:
Torillian said:
I'd be much more willing to change my outlook if I saw a notable marketing campaign for Bayo 2 than seeing high reviews. Far as I've seen advertising has a much more significant effect on overall sales than any reviews can (on average). The only hope Bayo 2 could have is some amazing word of mouth but only being on WiiU limits how much benefit you can get from that.

Ads are going up on TV...

But how many, what time slots, what channels?  I mean having some ads is great, and will keep it from being a total unknown like Ar Nosurge, but unless it gets the kind of advertising that one of Nintendo's mainstays gets (like SSB on 3DS which I keep seeing ads for) I don't think they'll be able to propel it into non-flopitude.  

Wanted to answer this one. It's known that it's being advertised on Adult Swim and NBC from GAF users that have seen it air there, and the ad is being auto-played on YouTube quite a bit. Not sure if it's reaching other channels yet as no one has really said anything about it.

As for floppage, it depends on what Nintendo's sales expectations are, because we don't really know how much money they sunk into this project. I think it'll hit close to 700k LTD range personally. If it gets multiple GOTY awards it might have a second chance at life and do slightly better than that, but I won't hold my breath just yet.

NNID: TheCCluc

Around the Network

It won't flop, but it'll still do crap. The fact that it's an exclusive and published as a first party Nintendo game it'll sell solid numbers, but it'll still sell worse than the first Bayonetta.

I still say it won't hit a million lifetime.

I hope it reaches 1m LT.......or by the end of the year.

But I would be happy with about 800K too.....

I bought my Wii U last month 75% because of this game. Can't wait for this game and the demo is just.......amazing!
(Other 25% : Starfox, to experience AC Series, Zelda 2015. Rest are extra's.)