By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best launch for a Nintendo console in terms of games

Tagged games:

?

NES 5 3.23%

SNES 15 9.68%

N64 30 19.35%

GCN 35 22.58%

Wii 45 29.03%

Wii U 25 16.13%

Total:155

The N64.

Because Super Mario 64, didn't need anything else, who cares there were only 2 games at release (though more for us Europeans) when you had that game. Best launch ever. Second place would be the Wii because of Twilight Princess obviously, and because it brought something revolutionary in Wii Sports.

Around the Network

I'm going to say... the GameBoy Advance.

Highlights of GBA's third party support first 3-4 months
Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Super Dodge Ball
Rayman Advance
Doom
Spryo
Final Fight
Megaman Battle Network
and several other great ones

And here's the 1st party support GBA got it's 1st 3-4 months
F-Zero
Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Advance Wars
Golden Sun

Not mention GBA could play GB and GBC games

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Wii U launched with alot of games which include some of the following.... New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Zombi U, Sonic Racing, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, NBA 2K13, Trine 2, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham City and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

While not letting nostalgia choose for them, it was be hard pressed for anyone to disagree that 1 or 2 games from the past Nintendo consoles would be better then the overall launch library of the Wii U. Sure some of these games were already released on other consoles but that still a heck of a lineup.

Ka-pi96 said:
curl-6 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I want to say wii just cause it launched with Twilight Princess

It's Wii in my book; for me, it had the best game of 2006 in Twilight Princess and with Wii Sports the only game of the 7th gen launch lineups that actually felt like a generational leap.

I'd be willing to bet that Wii Sports could have ran on the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox if they had wanted it to.

Well, considering that Wii is just a slightly beefed up GC, yeah, ofcourse.

T The last Nintendo launch that made me say "Damn! I gotta buy a console at launch!" Was the Nintendo 64. I kinda forced m myself to get a GameCube and Wii U at launch and I got a Wii months after launch even though nothing excited me (my first game was RE4 simply because there was nothing else and I didn't want to leave empty handed when I finally saw one in person).

So it's either Super NES or N64 and since the SNES had more than two games, it's my pick.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
curl-6 said:

It's Wii in my book; for me, it had the best game of 2006 in Twilight Princess and with Wii Sports the only game of the 7th gen launch lineups that actually felt like a generational leap.

I'd be willing to bet that Wii Sports could have ran on the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox if they had wanted it to.

Probably, but that's completely beside the point.

The motion controls felt more new and exciting than better graphics ever could.

Gamecube
It had Luigi's Mansion which I loved, while Melee and Pikmin are not technically launch titles, they were still launched very close to the system so I do count them

Depends... if we're talking strictly day-1 launch library for each console, then I gotta go with SNES (SMW packed in, F-Zero, Pilotwings, SimCity and Gradius III were all top quality titles.)  Wii is a close second (sadly) with Wii Sports packed in and Zelda:TP at launch.

However... if we're talking launch "window", i.e. from launch day through end of calendar year for each console, then GC wins for having the highest quality and most diverse lineup:  Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race Blue Storm, Tony Hawk 3, and Super Monkey Ball all on day 1, followed by SSB Melee, Pikmin, SSX Tricky and Extreme-G 3 in December.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

gamecube for me. Melee, Rogue Sqaudron, Luigi's mansion and Eternal darkness.

Wii U. It had Mass Effect 3.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!