By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Console Wars was better? SNES vs Sega Genesis or PS3 vs Xbox 360?

Which was better?

SNES Vs Sega Genesis. 14 87.50%

PS3 Vs Xbox 360. 2 12.50%

Total:16
deskpro2k3 said:

The hell? I can't believe this was real. And it's funny because too much exposure to the screen can also make you blind. The other day I saw a thread about an interview with the director of Sega of America and he mentioned they were focusing on adults. But... I didn't think they would go this far.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
PS3 vs 360.

SNES won by a landslide because of Nintendo's tactics forcing major third party developers to develop games exclusvely for them. There was really no war with the SNES vs Genesis, it was a massacre.

You must be young and not witnessed the war. It was not a massacre, it was a close race. The Megadrive was not very far off from the sales of the Snes.

Shadow1980 said:
Fusioncode said:
SNES vs Genesis wasn't much of a battle sales-wise.

Um, what? In the U.S. they ended up less than a million units apart:

In Europe the difference in end-generation sales was only 250k in the Mega Drive's favor. At the regional level, there are no other instances of two consoles being that close in terms of sales.

This. People saying it was not a close battle are either lying or were too young/not alive during the Megadrive/Snes era.

Turkish said:
kupomogli said:
PS3 vs 360.

SNES won by a landslide because of Nintendo's tactics forcing major third party developers to develop games exclusvely for them. There was really no war with the SNES vs Genesis, it was a massacre.

You must be young and not witnessed the war. It was not a massacre, it was a close race. The Megadrive was not very far off from the sales of the Snes.

I'm wondering... back then, without the internet as we know it today, were there any reliable source that showed the sales both consoles made? 

SNES/Genesis for sure. Mostly for me because, as others have pointed out, the consoles were so different, with such different libraries and different marketing. It actually meant something to be a Sega fan or a Nintendo guy. Nowadays who cares? So you prefer Gears or Uncharted. Cool.

Around the Network

I gotta say the PS3/360 battle was better. It was bloodthirsty. Many people have been banned due to it. Comments sections everywhere were filled of trolling, flaming, immature remarks. Madness... One side thought they had won, that was until the PS3 slowly grew back, still with its hiccups.

Well, I might not know about Genesis/SNES. I was just a little kid playing SMB3 and SMW. I was ignorant about the battle back then.

SNES vs. Genesis because it was a real war between Nintendo and Sega of America. They did not like each other.

PS3 vs. Xbox 360 is just fanboys.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Mr_No said:
I gotta say the PS3/360 battle was better. It was bloodthirsty. Many people have been banned due to it. Comments sections everywhere were filled of trolling, flaming, immature remarks. Madness... One side thought they had won, that was until the PS3 slowly grew back, still with its hiccups.

Pffft, internet wars.

SNES vs Megadrive had playground wars, in real life! :P