By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iSuppli: WTF? Part Deux

TWRoO said:
I thought this one was better;

Strategy Analytics [Jul-05] (Worldwide Through 2012)
Sony PS3 - 121.8 million (61%)
Xbox 360 - 58.8 million (30%)
Nintendo Wii - 18 million (9%)
Total - 198.6 million

Obviously this is a terrible prediction. However, you have to keep in mind that this was made in 2005, when we didn't know very much about any of the current consoles. What really bothers me are those analysts who made bad predictions, then continued to stick with them even as sales data showed them to be fabulously out of touch with reality. For example, the Screen Digest Group prediction that the PS3 would have 64% market share in Japan - made in early 2007 when the Wii was outselling the PS3 3:1 every single week. That's not just a bad prediction, that's a refusal to acknowledge the real world.

This iSupply prediction is the worst one yet for the very reason that we have nearly 18 months of sales data that explicitly contradict their conclusions. And lifetime sales can't DECREASE, of course...

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Wtf "titles like Gran Turismo 5, which will boost PS3 sales this year" will GT5 be released in this year in U.S. and EU ?

And "People may buy the PS3 not only for their gaming needs, but for video as well" Isn't it most likely other way around with those "casuals" ?

"Sony has high hopes that Solid Snake will do for PS3 what Master Chief and Halo have done for Microsoft's Xbox 360" How many consoles did H3 sell anyway ?

And WTF is that prediction in that graph ? Wii in 30 million this year. More likely 35-40 million.

@dgm6780
Nothing wrong in the article. Just look the graph.

iSuppli for the win. :p

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sullla said:
TWRoO said:

Total - 198.6 million

Obviously this is a terrible prediction. However, you have to keep in mind that this was made in 2005, when we didn't know very much about any of the current consoles. What really bothers me are those analysts who made bad predictions, then continued to stick with them even as sales data showed them to be fabulously out of touch with reality. For example, the Screen Digest Group prediction that the PS3 would have 64% market share in Japan - made in early 2007 when the Wii was outselling the PS3 3:1 every single week. That's not just a bad prediction, that's a refusal to acknowledge the real world.

This iSupply prediction is the worst one yet for the very reason that we have nearly 18 months of sales data that explicitly contradict their conclusions. And lifetime sales can't DECREASE, of course...

To make it even worse, they don't even get past data right.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sony's (SNE) Playstation Pipe Dream

Sony's (NYSE: SNE) PS3 may have a better year in 2008 than it did in 2007. That would not be hard. The game console was beaten like a red-headed mule by the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Xbox 360.

Sony's hope for improvement rests on the fact that production quantities will allow it to bring down component costs and retail prices. There are also several "hot' new games coming that will run on the PS3. Reuters writes "2008 will be a turning year for the PS3," said iSuppli analyst Pamela Tufegdzic. "Sony is offering a better forthcoming software pipeline with blockbuster titles like "Gran Turismo 5", which will boost PS3 sales this year."

The optimism seems misplaced. Microsoft still has the most popular game in the market with its "Halo 3" game. Nintendo has introduced the new Wii Fit and expects to sell over one million units of the new product in the US this year.

The leads that Microsoft and Nintendo have are formidable and may even be insurmountable. Sony should learn to rely on its TV business and movie studio operations. Its two rivals will do everything they can to keep the PS3 out of the game.

Douglas A. McIntyre

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/02/sonys-sne-pla-1.html

Finally a voice of reason

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sullla said:
TWRoO said:

Total - 198.6 million

This iSupply prediction is the worst one yet for the very reason that we have nearly 18 months of sales data that explicitly contradict their conclusions. And lifetime sales can't DECREASE, of course...

True, in fact wasn't this made even before the revolution remote was unveiled? What makes it bad though is what I posted beneath it, which was the same companies revision to their prediction at about PSWii launch time.... The fact that they revised Wii upward by a mere 5 million shows they are not in touch with the industry, E3 should have been enough to show Wii would at least sell much better than the GameCube.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Sony's (NYSE: SNE) PS3 may have a better year in 2008 than it did in 2007. That would not be hard. The game console was beaten like a red-headed mule by the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Xbox 360.

Sony's hope for improvement rests on the fact that production quantities will allow it to bring down component costs and retail prices. There are also several "hot' new games coming that will run on the PS3. Reuters writes "2008 will be a turning year for the PS3," said iSuppli analyst Pamela Tufegdzic. "Sony is offering a better forthcoming software pipeline with blockbuster titles like "Gran Turismo 5", which will boost PS3 sales this year."

The optimism seems misplaced. Microsoft still has the most popular game in the market with its "Halo 3" game. Nintendo has introduced the new Wii Fit and expects to sell over one million units of the new product in the US this year.

The leads that Microsoft and Nintendo have are formidable and may even be insurmountable. Sony should learn to rely on its TV business and movie studio operations. Its two rivals will do everything they can to keep the PS3 out of the game.

Douglas A. McIntyre

Yes I liked that part of his comment the best as well

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ISuppli is for me a very realiable source...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Douglas A. McIntyre

Halo 3 came out last year.  What does that have to do with 2008?  His Wii Fit thing is on, but he just glossed over a gaggle of PS3 games coming out this year, and he glossed over M$ "Supply problems", and the fact that they were outsold by PS3 last month in NA(and around the world since december), but somehow he's a "voice of reason". 

lol.

DMeisterJ said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Douglas A. McIntyre

Halo 3 came out last year.  What does that have to do with 2008?  His Wii Fit thing is on, but he just glossed over a gaggle of PS3 games coming out this year, and he glossed over M$ "Supply problems", and the fact that they were outsold by PS3 last month in NA(and around the world since december), but somehow he's a "voice of reason". 

lol.

His comment about PS3 being unable to overtake the Wii and the lead between the 360 and the PS3 being very formidable (at its current sales rate it would take about two years + to overtake the 360)