By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iSuppli: WTF? Part Deux

Seriously, I wanna know how these people get a job. I'm obviously doing something wrong if a person can be paid good money to do such 'research'. I guess using Sony PR as your only source must be tiring work.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/wii-owners-will-look-to-purchase-ps3-says-isuppli/?biz=1

Wii Owners Will Look to Purchase PS3, says iSuppli

Sony's key growth may come not only from its PS2 installed base upgrading to PS3, but also from millions of Wii owners looking for a second console, according to iSuppli, which called 2008 a "turning year" for PS3.

Posted by James Brightman on Friday, February 29, 2008

Research firm iSuppli, who forecast earlier this month that Sony's PlayStation 3 would eek out a victory in the console war by 2011, has told Reuters that 2008 will be a "turning year" for the PS3. "Sony is offering a better forthcoming software pipeline with blockbuster titles like Gran Turismo 5, which will boost PS3 sales this year," said iSuppli analyst Pamela Tufegdzic.

Importantly, Tufegdzic is looking at Nintendo's Wii audience as a driver of PS3 sales. She believes Sony will drop the price on its console enticing Wii owners to finally get a second, more powerful system. "We anticipate Sony will have another price slash on the PS3 this year, and come Christmas, consumers who originally bought the Wii will likely purchase the PS3," Tufegdzic said. "The battle over consoles ultimately boils down to price."

Another strong point for the PS3 of course will be its Blu-ray victory over HD DVD. As more consumers upgrade to HDTV and HD movies, there's a good chance they could look to the PS3 as their first Blu-ray player. "People may buy the PS3 not only for their gaming needs, but for video as well, which gives the PS3 a unique competitive edge over the Wii and Xbox 360 well into the longer term," Tufegdzic noted.

With the highly anticipated Metal Gear Solid 4 launching on June 12, along with a new hardware bundle including the game and a DualShock 3 controller, the PS3 could have a strong summer. Konami Digital Entertainment CEO Kazumi Kitaue likened the release of MGS4 to a Hollywood summer blockbuster, and you can bet that Sony has high hopes that Solid Snake will do for PS3 what Master Chief and Halo have done for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Respoting the graph of shame just for laughs.

Around the Network

i see nothing wrong here.

What's wrong with this picture?

Lots of people don't think that the Wii is enough to fulfill all of their gaming habits, myself included. In a perfect world, I'd have one HD console and a Wii, in that order. Especially with the Blu-Ray factor, why wouldn't many PS3 be bought? Can the Wii play back even DVDs? No. So if people want some media in their life, PS3 would be a fine choice.

I thought everyone kept saying only casuals buy the wii? If true, then those casuals likely will not be itching for a more powerful hardcore system like the PS3.

Describes my friend perfectly. He only has a Wii right now, but is looking to purchase a PS3 in the near future.

Around the Network

@ darconi

They also mention the Blu-Ray factor, not just games, and she says the ultimate thing is price.

Wait, does the Wii go down in 2011, or am I just imaging that? And I thought at the end of 2007 (which was a few months ago if I recall correctly), the Wii had a few hundred thousand lead on the 360, though in that graph is shows them at about equal. Am I reading that graph wrong?

Am I crazzy, man? Or what?

I don't understand analysts ...

Every day it becomes more and more clear that the "crackpots" were correct and the United States (and the rest of the world) is headed towards a long term economic slow down characterized by increased inflation, slow growth, elimation of easy to access credit, and the elimination of imaginary home equity which when combined together will greatly reduce their buying power. In this context it seems odd that Analysts are predicting that people will continue to make unnecessary purchases to upgrade their home entertainment centers, buy additional (expensive) videogame systems when they already own a current (and working) system, and (generally) spend money like a drunken sailor ...

This isn't to say that you will see declining sales for either of the HD consoles, but the logic behind these analysts' reasoning for their comeback is very poor.

DMeisterJ said:
@ darconi

They also mention the Blu-Ray factor, not just games, and she says the ultimate thing is price.

I have my doubts on how much blu-ray will play a factor for the "casual" adoption. Chances are that by the time HD becomes that widely adopted and DVD finally goes on the wane, there will be cheaper blu-ray players out there.  And multimedia hub systems have never proven a hit with the casual mass adoption crowd.  

As for the price, Sony has said themselves that now that the PS3 sales are better, don't expect much price cuts as they had been.

everyone take a good look at iSupply's chart. Notice that 2 out of 3 systems will actually have negative sales between 2010-2011. This is why you can't take their opionion for anything.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)