By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iSuppli: WTF? Part Deux

isuppli is a joke, but i kind of argree with what she is saying.

my friend got a wii and says he is tired of all the "fun" on it. he wants to have a more hardcore expirience and he isnt interested in the 360

ps3 has more games that appeal to wii owners compared to the 360 like littlebigplanet for example which is a game my 5 year old cousin could own at.

Around the Network
tarheel91 said:
Stever89 said:
FishyJoe said:

I would just like to point out that this graph fails. Hard. Not only are the 2007 end year sales for the Wii incorrect, but they also think it will only sell 10 million this year (well, 12 if you go by their 2007 totals), and then 360 and Wii owners will return their consoles in massive amounts, resulting in negative sales.

Ummm. Yeah.

I'd just like to point out that even with the crappy Wii estimates, it's 2010 total actually beats out PS3's 2011 total. Then it somehow does that amazing negative sales thing.

I guess they got desparate.

Guy: Damn, I ran the numbers and the Wii beat the PS3 by 4 million units in 2011.

Other Guy: Oh, just take off a few million for the Wii.

Guy: Right!

Though he forgets to evenly take them out, and just takes off 6 million or so from 2011, and to "even the playing field" he lowers the 360 sales too. 

Why does everyone suddenly think the trend of people only owning one console a generation not only is going to reverse, but is going to go batshit insane in the other direction?

I can see argueing the Wii might lead to slightly more dual console ownership since it's cheap and something different. But that it's going to completely change the trend all together and reverse it?

Also, that graph is hilarious.

Yeah, it's like iSupply said,

"Damn the Wii is still ahead in 2011, even with our batshiat crazy analysis. Let's take a few million off of 2007 so it looks like the PS3 will win."

Kasz216 said:
Why does everyone suddenly think the trend of people only owning one console a generation not only is going to reverse, but is going to go batshit insane in the other direction?

I can see argueing the Wii might lead to slightly more dual console ownership since it's cheap and something different. But that it's going to completely change the trend all together and reverse it?

Also, that graph is hilarious.

And yet they only have around 120-130 million consoles sold, much less than last generation. And by the end of 2012, the 360 and Wii might only have 25 million units sold, so it's not going to be easy to get above the 160 million that was sold this generation, unless the PS3 manages to sell around 70 million in 2012, then to offset the negative sales, it would have to sell another 20 million or so.

Hmm, I think it's more likely the Dreamcast has a resurgence and beats them all.

Around the Network

That graph is really weird for every console past 2009.

I think this thread needs that crayon guy, but I can't find the picture.

While I do not agree with the findings, one fine point ... it is "installed base" not "sales."

So in the iSuppli world -- people would buy System A, then buy System B and put System A in the closet. That reduces the installed base for System A while it increases the base for System B.

Then again, I think a lot of PS3 sales are for video hardware, not gaming hardware, so it then begs the question as to whether or not it should be counted here 8*>

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

iSupply is a joke company that we just haven't discovered the truth about yet, just like SDF was thought to be the ultimate PS3 fanboy site until it was shown to be a joke site :P

Wait, Sony Defense Force was revealed to be a farce? I mean, besides the fact that everybody save the most die-hard of Sony devotees called it such. I wasn't aware that the site's creators had come out and declared it such. I'd like to see the evidence for that, if it's around...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

This certainly makes more sense than their overall consoles sales predictions. I kind of agree. If the PS3 is still a good Blu-ray player, blu-ray become somewhat common, and the price comes down to a reasonable amount of around $200 with full PS2 support or $150 without PS2 support, I will likely get one. There are quite a few games on the PS3 that I am interested in like the probable 2009 release, GT5. I could also see myself picking up GTA4 or GTA5 and seveal PSN games. 2010/2011 here I come! Or, Sony, please start losing even more money and lower the cost of your system to $200 right now!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org