By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iSuppli: WTF? Part Deux

Galaki said:
How do I unsell my Wii?

PS3 uses the power of 4D technology to travel back in time and destroy Wii in the past

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

People were predicting the DreamCast would overtake the PS2 as the console of its generation right on up until its production was canned. It's just an unavoidable fact: there will always be those who want reality to reflect their preferences, and who cannot accept that the universe at large has no regard for them.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
People were predicting the DreamCast would overtake the PS2 as the console of its generation right on up until its production was canned. It's just an unavoidable fact: there will always be those who want reality to reflect their preferences, and who cannot accept that the universe at large has no regard for them.

Yeah, but there is a point where the sane must accept that some things are not going to happen

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

And what makes you think that humans are sane by default? Or any lifeform, for that matter? Sanity is a byproduct of societies and their ideals, not a concrete reality. What you're expecting, really, is that they be logical. Which is a surprisingly difficult thing to ask of many people, as logic is not the default fall-back reasoning method for most humans.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

dgm6780 said:
*edited by Rocketpig.

It's been dealt with. 

lol, littleman syndrome confirmed.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

"Research firm iSuppli, who forecast earlier this month that Nintendo's Gamecube would eek out a victory in the console war by 2006, has told Reuters that 2003 will be a "turning year" for the Gamecube. "Nintendo is offering a better forthcoming software pipeline with blockbuster titles like Zelda Wind Waker, which will boost Gamecube sales this year," said iSuppli analyst Pamela Tufegdzic.

Importantly, Tufegdzic is looking at Sony's Playstation 2 audience as a driver of Gamecube sales. She believes Nintendo will drop the price on its console enticing PS2 owners to finally get a second, more powerful system. "We anticipate Nintendo will have another price slash on the Gamecube this year, and come Christmas, consumers who originally bought the PS2 will likely purchase the Gamecube," Tufegdzic said. "The battle over consoles ultimately boils down to price."

See? Just so some users reconsider the accuracy that these people could have... but I doubt they will.

There is a good chance that they actually believe they are right which is probably the scariest part =/

What I want to know is what they are going to say in a few months when the Wii is crossing 30m well before the end of the year and with the holidays to come.

Also for those wondering how consoles unsell...I think their point of contention is that they always refer to it as "install base" and as a result they have some formula for rate of decay for determining when a console is no longer in use. Considering there are very few stats on that sort of thing it is possible that they estimate the Wii to sell more but to still "lose" under their setup.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Chances the Wii only sells 7m units between 2008 and 2011... zero.

Priceless!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

ClaudeLv250 said:

Oh God, here we go again. I really want to hear their justification for the Wii unselling. Looks like the 360 unsells a tiny bit too.

I recall that their rationale is that around 2010-11, the next generation of consoles will pop up, at which point 360 and Wii users with failed systems will choose to replace them with the Xbox 720 and the Wii 2, thus reducing the install base for these systems.

The PS3 is future proof, of course, and so will continue selling well into 2016, when the PS4 is released.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I can't find the graph in the linked page. Was it pulled?