By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How powerful will Nintendo's next handheld be?

HoloDust said:
michael_stutzer said:
Slade6alpha said:
I predict less powerful than the Vita's hardware.

It would be more expensive to do hardware weaker than Vita in 2017 or so. I'm expecting an equivalent to a modern budget phone SOC of that time. Something like Snapdragon 400 today. 

Um, Snapdragon 400 uses Adreno 305/306...which is around Vita.

You sure you were not thinking of Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420 which is some 5-6x Vita?

Nintendo's next handheld would certainly not be that powerful. Their handhelds always have weak hardware for the time they release to maximise profits as people buy them anyways.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
michael_stutzer said:
Slade6alpha said:
I predict less powerful than the Vita's hardware.

It would be more expensive to do hardware weaker than Vita in 2017 or so. I'm expecting an equivalent to a modern budget phone SOC of that time. Something like Snapdragon 400 today. 

You sure you were not thinking of Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420 which is some 5-6x Vita?

I am saying that they would use a budget phone SOC in 2017. Snapdragon 400 is a budget phone SOC today. "Of that time" and "today" were the keywords there. 

More than Vita I think

nice

radishhead said:

I think the next console will be a handheld and a console in one, using stream technology and such! So the handheld will be just as powerful as the next console.

I think this is the route Nintendo need to realistically take. Combine their western home console userbase with their Japanese handheld one to create a sustainable ecosystem.

I think they'll be watching the Western launch of PlayStation TV quite keenly. I suspect a low cost home console combined with "hi specced handheld" meaning they can focus all their software resources into one platform would ultimately be the way to keep the 1st party releases flowing steadily and let the end user choose their preferred play format. (Portable or home console).

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Gammalad said:
I think it will be the HDS and it will be a massive upgrade in power over the Vita. I personally don't think Nintendo will go with the whole fusion idea.

Weak HW and online experience affects the 3rd parties/crowd , and with those relations not improving anytime soon, Ninty is forced to support itself with the Fusion idea.  

Fusion will basically be a perfected, slightly more powerful Vita + PS4, with the priorities reversed.  Ninty's next console won't be crippled by an expensive gamepad, b/c that is what the handheld is for.  The console will be sold with a reg. controller, and also an sku without any controller.  

Freedom phab (HH) - $199 

U-nity (console) - $199

coming April 2017

Around the Network

However powerful the iPhone is at the time.

se7en7thre3 said:
Gammalad said:
I think it will be the HDS and it will be a massive upgrade in power over the Vita. I personally don't think Nintendo will go with the whole fusion idea.

Weak HW and online experience affects the 3rd parties/crowd , and with those relations not improving anytime soon, Ninty is forced to support itself with the Fusion idea.  

Fusion will basically be a perfected, slightly more powerful Vita + PS4, with the priorities reversed.  Ninty's next console won't be crippled by an expensive gamepad, b/c that is what the handheld is for.  The console will be sold with a reg. controller, and also an sku without any controller.  

Freedom phab (HH) - $199 

U-nity (console) - $199

coming April 2017

Yeah I am going to go with a major doubt, specially that early. 

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

se7en7thre3 said:
Gammalad said:

Freedom phab (HH) - $199 

U-nity (console) - $199

coming April 2017

ya thats pretty much exactly how i see it except i dont think the console will be more powerful than PS4, im thinking a bit more powerful than Wii U similar to the gap between GC & Wii.

Since Iwata said they want to "absorb" the architecture of Wii U for future devices i think it will have similar hardware as Wii U but a fadter CPU and double the RAM.

basically the fusion handheld will essentially be a somewhat downgraded Wii U in specs and the console will be a somewhat upgraded Wii U. this way they can share the same library just with a different resolution/frame rate between devices.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

michael_stutzer said:
HoloDust said:
michael_stutzer said:

I am saying that they would use a budget phone SOC in 2017. Snapdragon 400 is a budget phone SOC today. "Of that time" and "today" were the keywords there. 

You're right, I've misinterpreted that part completely and went straight for last line.

GTAexpert said:
HoloDust said:

Nintendo's next handheld would certainly not be that powerful. Their handhelds always have weak hardware for the time they release to maximise profits as people buy them anyways.

Unless you thought I think that 2016/17 high end SoCs would be Nintendo's pick (which I don't)...

...Adreno 305 performs close to iPhone 5's GPU, which performs close to Vita (this is speculative though, since there are no real headon tests, but that's what usual consensus is).

iPhone 5 was top performing phone in 2012, today both Adreno 420 and A8 from iPhone 6 outperform it 6x.

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that in 2016/17 that sort of performance will be mid range.

the_dengle said:
Teeqoz said:

Has he said that it'll sell one fourth of the 3DS? I still honestly suspects that it'll decrease (the handheldmarket), however, I think the 3DS succesor will sell not too much less than the 3ds since they'll also get the little niche that Sony has with the Vita which will, believe it or not, negate a bit of the loss ninty will experience (sales wise).

the only thing here that's directed at you dengle is the first question The rest is just me thinking out loud.

He said "I expect it to suffer the same fate as the Vita," which I interpreted as similar sales, and he did not correct me.

Ah okay. I think that's awfully pessimistic.