By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox In China: More Grey Than Green

vivster said:
Welcome to console manufacturer hell. A country full of PC master race and mobile casuals.

More like slave labor. Most can't even afford the console even if they wanted it.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:
vivster said:
Welcome to console manufacturer hell. A country full of PC master race and mobile casuals.

More like slave labor. Most can't even afford the console even if they wanted it.

Yes. But the minority who can afford them is bigger than the entire population of most countries.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I have to admit, I don't really know what to make of any of this and it will be interesting to see if the console market will expand in the way that SMG's vp had predicted on launch day.

vivster said:
DJEVOLVE said:
vivster said:

Yes. But the minority who can afford them is bigger than the entire population of most countries.

Yes and most of them already own a computer. They gave up on consoles. However from what it looks like Xbox one did pretty good. These artcle's always give me a laugh. This says absolutely nothing, always gives us zero insight. It's like my telling you the weather in chicago and your expecting the same in LA. Or me telling you my cousin heard from his cousin that his sister got some info from the neighbor, that will help me with potato.

I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for VGC to predict weekly sales in China. Without some official data, the likelihood of correct XBO tracking is very small.

Around the Network

VGC should hold off on reporting any Xbox numbers until an official announcement. If I'm not mistaken, China had a report similar to NPD?

SweetTalia said:
the_dengle said:
SweetTalia said:
the_dengle said:

"His location?" It sounds like he was in the Beijing version of Akihabara. If he had trouble finding any XBOs at all, much less shoppers interested in buying them, that's a pretty bad sign.

Yup, too bad he has not been at all 4000+ cities x1 is being sold at. yea bad sign O_o

Are you even remotely serious? Beijing has a greater population than the entire state of New York. If you walked into all of the electronics stores in NYC on launch day and saw no buzz, you telling me that wouldn't be a bad sign because, y'know, it's also launching in... Trenton, or whatever? What?

Sigh, going to random stores and taking some pictures tell us nothing.. we know nothing about the time the picture was taken, what time of the day so on and so forth.. anyone can go take random pictures in a foreign country and said.. this happens...

going to bed now bro. laters

Agreed..I think some people on this site have become particularly desparate for anything that will paint their rival console in a less than favourable light. Hey what if some random posts the pics where the stores were crowded with people lining up for the Xbox One..Do we then conclude that the console was a smash hit across the country.. Sorry this thread is completely pointless and actually sad that people arrive at conclusions based on unverified photos taken at  unverified times.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

DJEVOLVE said:
vivster said:
DJEVOLVE said:
vivster said:

Yes and most of them already own a computer. They gave up on consoles. However from what it looks like Xbox one did pretty good. These artcle's always give me a laugh. This says absolutely nothing, always gives us zero insight. It's like my telling you the weather in chicago and your expecting the same in LA. Or me telling you my cousin heard from his cousin that his sister got some info from the neighbor, that will help me with potato.

As far as whether it did 'well,' the concept is a bit relative, and the interesting thing about the situation in China is there really is no, to my knowledge, frame of reference. Other markets, you can always compare to the competition in the region, compare to the performance of the predecessors in the region, etc, etc, to at least get some idea whether 'x' number represents the device tapping into the full, or most, or just a little of the available market. For example, the Xbox One is viewed as extremely competitive in the U.S., and pretty much dead in Japan, not simply because of its raw numbers, but because of how they compare to the PS4, or the Xbox 360.

Given China hasn't had official (and therefore officially tracked,) consoles in well over a decade, the Xbox One might be doing super, duper well, better than Sony or Nintendo will ever do when they eventually stop dragging their heels, or it might not. x.X Assuming we ever see some actual solid numbers come out of the region, something like what the U.S. and Japan uses to track hardware sales, it'll be interesting when the other two get there, so we can start seeing some context to the number.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

DJEVOLVE said:

Not all anecdotal evidence is born equal. Here we have a man that has been living in China for some time now and knows where to go to get a bigger picture.

Actual China resident, biggest City in the country, some of the biggest shopping places in said biggest city are all things that elevate this above the usual evidence.

I'm totally ignoring his little social media "experiment" though.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

X1 flopping every where.No surprise.So much for China being the savior lol.