By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 doesn't have multiple languages on 1 disc.......

@kingofwale

The PS3 can already handle 50GB Blu-ray disks, there would need to be a FW to add 100GB support but that won't be for quite a while yet, if ever!

Around the Network

Oh, I definitely enjoyed playing. Because I knew it would happen eventually. I was just waiting it out. BUT, the fact of the matter is that in SEVERAL interviews, Kojima said that even Blu-ray wasn't good enough for what he wanted. Is it really, REALLY, that inconceivable that a game can be big?

A game, sure. I just don't think we've seen much reason yet why this game should be that big. It's not the best looking game out there, it's not the longest, it uses no heavy FMV sequences, and it's not the biggest world. Unless something has drastically changed in the Metal Gear formula, the only thing likely to set this game apart in terms of data used is the extensive dialog. And there's no reason at all that shouldn't be squeezed down to a manageable size -- there are a variety of lossless audio compression solutions out there, meaning significant space can be saved with no loss in quality.

As for this:

In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD. According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts in the game to save disc space.

Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space.

Compelling, but I'm not convinced yet. Here we have a poorly-written article about a weak translation of a Japanese interview. Nowhere in that exchange does the interviewer or Kojima specifically say "50gb BluRay": they just say "BluRay." It's possible that the translator or the blogger just assumed it was a dual-layer disk, or mistakenly thought that all BluRays are 50gb. Kojima may personally be working with a 25gb limit because of the extra costs and technical hurdles that come with a dual-layer disk. If someone can read the original interview in Japanese and confirm/correct this, I'd be grateful.

kingofwale said:
so, what do they need to do to use a 50GB blu-ray disc? new firmware? new Hardware?

i think it will be in a new firmware,its sucks if they will put another hardware,i bought ps3 for many reason but mgs4 is the first,so i hope its a firmware

Borkachev said:
Oh, I definitely enjoyed playing. Because I knew it would happen eventually. I was just waiting it out. BUT, the fact of the matter is that in SEVERAL interviews, Kojima said that even Blu-ray wasn't good enough for what he wanted. Is it really, REALLY, that inconceivable that a game can be big?

A game, sure. I just don't think we've seen much reason yet why this game should be that big. It's not the best looking game out there, it's not the longest, it uses no heavy FMV sequences, and it's not the biggest world. Unless something has drastically changed in the Metal Gear formula, the only thing likely to set this game apart in terms of data used is the extensive dialog. And there's no reason at all that shouldn't be squeezed down to a manageable size -- there are a variety of lossless audio compression solutions out there, meaning significant space can be saved with no loss in quality.

As for this:

In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD. According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts in the game to save disc space.

Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space.

Compelling, but I'm not convinced yet. Here we have a poorly-written article about a weak translation of a Japanese interview. Nowhere in that exchange does the interviewer or Kojima specifically say "50gb BluRay": they just say "BluRay." It's possible that the translator or the blogger just assumed it was a dual-layer disk, or mistakenly thought that all BluRays are 50gb. Kojima may personally be working with a 25gb limit because of the extra costs and technical hurdles that come with a dual-layer disk. If someone can read the original interview in Japanese and confirm/correct this, I'd be grateful.

yeah maybe,but 50g its not impossible for kojima

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/02/kojima-mgs4-too-big-for-50-gb-blu-ray-disc/

Everyone, including naysayers. Read and be happy

Around the Network

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=19274#end

Sorry Bmaker11, your threads been trumped by one with a little more sense.

It's all PR and ego from Kojima.

Thanks for playing.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

How was mine trumped? ehsteve presented the exact same information as mine. But at least in this thread, no one's bringing up the idea of this game going on a 100GB Blu ray (not that I'm trying to have a competition of threads or anything).

I don't understand how I haven't made any sense. All I did was bring up something that Ryan Payton said, and then presented an interview with Kojima that confirmed it. Makes sense to me

I meant in terms of the content of the thread. Most people there seem to accept that Hideo Kojima has a history of egotistical grandstanding. Wasn't he the guy that called the PS3 a theater, and the 360 a tv?

As such, there is greater recognition over there that this a PR stunt more than it is a declaration that Blu-Ray is the savior of gaming.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Actually, I believe the PS3 was the theater that showed a movie, the 360 was the DVD of the movie, and the Wii was the TV showing of the movie. Don't forget about the dinner one as well, which was the same thing except with stuff like a fancy place to eat and so on to a TV dinner tray.

I wont take everything he says as gospel, but I've enjoyed his games enough to be excited for the things he's making.

starcraft said:
I meant in terms of the content of the thread. Most people there seem to accept that Hideo Kojima has a history of egotistical grandstanding. Wasn't he the guy that called the PS3 a theater, and the 360 a tv?

As such, there is greater recognition over there that this a PR stunt more than it is a declaration that Blu-Ray is the savior of gaming.

The difference between the two threads is that one is mainly being answerred by Sony fans, while the other is mainly being answerred by Sony detracted.  Just because one thread agrees with you doesn't make it more correct.  And yes I've read both, and the other thread hinges on some interview that someone "remembers hearing about" from years back.