By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 doesn't have multiple languages on 1 disc.......

Interview with Kojima

Trans: In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD. According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts in the game
to save disc space.

Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space.

Around the Network

its confirmed not enough space in a 25g blu but in a 50g blu all i can say is wooooow

http://n4g.com/tech/NewsCom-117932.aspx?CT=1#Comments

starcraft said:
I thought I was clear. Sorry. What I mean is that they are almost certainly talking about how they have filled up a SINGLE-LAYERED Blu-Ray disk.

Just a few months back at TGS the producer was saying they would be pushing to keep it under 25gb, I highly doubt it jumped by ANOTHER 25gb in five months.

Not trying to follow you around but that^ is in correct. Kojima has even said that 50gb is not enough for MGS4 and that they are making compromises to fit it all in. Got this interview from: http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-117932.aspx

so, what do they need to do to use a 50GB blu-ray disc? new firmware? new Hardware?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

..........because the game itsself is too huge. I read on Joystiq that Ryan Payton said that it took up most of the space of a single blu ray disc, so Japan gets no English voiceover, and US/EU doesn't get Japanese voiceover.

That much, I don't really care about. What I honestly want to see if the swarm of people that will come and say that Kojima and Konami are crappy devs because of their audio compression methods.

Would have been nice, but luckily PS3 games aren't region locked so Japanese living in western countries and American/European people living in Japan can import the game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

If you read the article it said that they are compressing data. Kojima says that "he is not happy with the quality". I assume that he means that compressing the data is compromising the some of the quality.

It seems there are conflicting articles then. Kojima vs Payton. Though I concede that the Kojima stuff is more recent. But given no PS3 game has used a double-sided disk yet, and many HAVE had multiple languages, you have to wonder how long MGS4 is going to be if it really is struggling to stay under 50gb.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

This game is sure to have hours and hours of dialog. I'm pretty sure that with all the uncompressed jibba jabba it might be hard to fit everything else in at the level of perfection that Kojima wants.

starcraft said:

Given that the Fable 2 devs said in their able to compress content down toone hundredth of it's original size without any noticable quality sacrifice, I think Konami would be capable of something similar. Especially as Fable 2 is an open world in which compressed information from all over the disk needs to be drawn upon continually, as opposed to a linear stealth shooter where this is less of an issue.

Just because you make a comment dripping with sarcasm saying "OMG I bet some noob will say....." doesn't stop what they have to say being perfectly relevant and factual. The fact of the matter is it's far more likely I am right than wrong given all the circumstantial evidence.

Thanks for playing.

Oh, I definitely enjoyed playing. Because I knew it would happen eventually. I was just waiting it out. BUT, the fact of the matter is that in SEVERAL interviews, Kojima said that even Blu-ray wasn't good enough for what he wanted. Is it really, REALLY, that inconceivable that a game can be big? Remember the whole Sony PR saying "we future-proofed the PS3 with bluray" Games will get larger and larger, as you can take note from last generation, when the first PS2 games were on the blue sided CD taking up a little under a gig, and then in 2007, GOWII was dual-layered.