By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Boycott PS4 Assassin's Creed Unity #BoycottACUnityPS4

thismeintiel said:
FatedReality said:

thismeintiel said:

If anything can be taken from this gen, it should be that that statement is complete BS.  Bad press is bad press.  And sometimes you cannot recover from it.  Just look at the situation the XBO is in.  If anything, the Twitter blow up will inform more people, which may lead to them not purchasing the game.  Same thing happened with DRM and mandatory Kinect.

The Unity parity situation is no where near as big as MS DRM and Kinect. They are also two completly different scenarios. The failure of DRM and Kinect was  becuase it was anticonsumer and was too confusing for the consumer.

I see this Unity debacle a lot like how people say they're going to boycott every COD game becuase of a lack of dedicated servers. Few gamers refuse to buy the game while the casuals (The majority) buy the game in masses. AC while see no huge loss in sales due to this resulotion parity.

Did I say it was on the same level?  No.  What I said is bad news is in fact bad news.  And if a company doesn't do its best to get rid of it ASAP, it can stay with them for months/years. 

And this is pretty anti-consumer (if you bought a PS4), since its pretty obvious that the PS4 has enough power to run this game at 1080p if the XBO can pull it off at 900p.  Either that or the game better be MUCH better looking on the PS4 if they are going for the same res and FPS.  Of course, we both know they will be around the same graphic quality.  This is a dev purposely gimping a game to reach parity.  That's a horrible practise to support, one that seems to be new to console gaming this gen.

But this resolution parity is not nearly severe enough for it to really harm Unitys sales or even affect Ubisoft. It's just resolution, this is not something that will even get the casuals (the majoarity of people that buy the game) attention. You would have to do something really serious (like DRM) that blatantly affects consumers and how they play the game for it to damage a companies reputation to the point they dont buy your product. Look at EA, they do a ton of shitty stuff in there games every year and get voted for worst company of the year and yet there games sell millions. It's becuase the regualr consumer doesnt care about the little stuff like resolution and framrate like we do.

Also Im not disagreeing with you that what Ubisoft is doing is really crappy. I see why people are upset and mad at them, what they are doing is really stupid but I do think some of us are blowing this a little out of porportion. Its just resolution people! Its not like they are cutting game modes or content for parity!

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

Around the Network

This thread has made me wanna buy unity on my ps4.  

Ubisoft is getting so much publicity right now it's great (and probably monies under the table).  Just wait till the 1080p patch is revealed for the browser version.

alrightiwill said:
I don't care about games being 720, 800, 900 or 1080p. What I dislike is a game company willingly admit that it's not doing as much as it can do to optimise a game to avoid debates. That's just stupid. Make as good a game as you can for both consoles. If it's a case that development resources could only allow them for 900p on both consoles, fine. But this kind of says 'We hit a limit on one, so stopped on the other'

I hope I'm wrong.

It's not even 'optimization, it's literally just flipping the resolution setting to 1920x1080. If the game runs at 900p on the XB1 Gpu, it mathematically will run at 1080 on ps4 with nothing more than a simple setting change. Hopefully someone leaks the contract on the intentional downgrade for the ps4 version so we can see how much Ubisoft sold out for. 

Mr Puggsly said:
Mr Puggsly said:

LOL!

Sony is not in a position to throw away money and force AC fans to get an Xbox.

The fact is the average consumer won't even notice or care. Some people on this forum just don't consider the average consumer. Not every gamer is a forum dweller searching for the native resolution of their games.

Lol, you think that would turn people to the One?  More likely it would turn people away from AC and/or Ubisoft.  And the "average customer" talk, again?  Isn't that what many of you Xbox fans were talking about before this gen started concerning the DRM, used games, and mandatory Kinect?  It wouldn't matter to the average consumer, only fanboys of other sides on the internet cared and couldn't make a difference?  And that's why many perdicted the One still winning in the US and UK handedly?  Now, I haven't been following the sales too closely, so could you tell me how that worked out for MS? 

Yeah, it would turn some people the One and it would also hurt Sony on potential profits. So its not gonna happen for a little thing like resolution.

I'm ignoring the rest of your comments because its just pointless ranting.

Sounds more like you didn't like that last bit, which was true.  But that's ok, I'll ignore your "pointless ranting," too. 

The insulting thing about it is that AC4 at 1080 will look way better than 900p vaseline. Watch Dogs and BF4 looked horrible on ps4 because of the upscaling.

Around the Network
bevochan said:
thismeintiel said:
FatedReality said:

The Unity parity situation is no where near as big as MS DRM and Kinect. They are also two completly different scenarios. The failure of DRM and Kinect was  becuase it was anticonsumer and was too confusing for the consumer.

I see this Unity debacle a lot like how people say they're going to boycott every COD game becuase of a lack of dedicated servers. Few gamers refuse to buy the game while the casuals (The majority) buy the game in masses. AC while see no huge loss in sales due to this resulotion parity.

Did I say it was on the same level?  No.  What I said is bad news is in fact bad news.  And if a company doesn't do its best to get rid of it ASAP, it can stay with them for months/years. 

And this is pretty anti-consumer (if you bought a PS4), since its pretty obvious that the PS4 has enough power to run this game at 1080p if the XBO can pull it off at 900p.  Either that or the game better be MUCH better looking on the PS4 if they are going for the same res and FPS.  Of course, we both know they will be around the same graphic quality.  This is a dev purposely gimping a game to reach parity.  That's a horrible practise to support, one that seems to be new to console gaming this gen.

The COD fans complained every year, but COD sold well for many years.  So Activision just kept doing their thing.  I doubt Ubisoft will care about people getting mad about parity as long as they don't lose sales. 

#BoycottACUnityPS4

Oh, I will be.  And I'll be telling my friends about it, which I'm sure will make them reconsider if they were thinking about buying it.  It's also nice I can suggest Shadow of Mordor, since that seems to play a lot like AC.

Mr Puggsly said:
ICStats said:

True, but that's what they did last year for Black Flag.  http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/assassins_creed_4_ps4_1080p_patch_available_to_download_now.html

Has PS4 had resolution patches post launch?

Yep, PS4 version of AC4 got bumped to 1080p after launch.

My 8th gen collection

Yep, this blew up in Ubisofts face. The game looks like crap for one thing, and core gamers are extremely influential these days. Remember how when the X1 drm fiasco was happening, diehard xbox fans claimed that casuals wouldn't care due to Cod boycott failing before? Well that was a miniscule group of people, this is a big fat shit on the owners of the leading gen8 console, and it won't be a small problem for Ubisoft. The word will get out more and more via word of mouth, Facebook, Twitter, and so on.

ICStats said:

Or as I like to see it: Post review.

The PS5 Exists. 

ICStats said:
Mr Puggsly said:
ICStats said:

True, but that's what they did last year for Black Flag.  http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/assassins_creed_4_ps4_1080p_patch_available_to_download_now.html

Has PS4 had resolution patches post launch?

And don't forget about COD:Ghosts.  Same Day 1 patch.