By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek Says It's Getting Increasingly Difficult to Wow People With Graphics

"The consoles are clearly behind high-spec GPUs in terms of raw horsepower."

Crysis and Ryse: Son of Rome developer Crytek is known for some of the best looking games in the industry, which it creates with its proprietary CryEngine. The first Far Cry and Crysis in particular were ahead of the technological curve when they came out. However, the developer says that it's not as easy to impress players with beautiful graphics as it used to be.

"As opposed to the times of the original Crysis, we as an industry have reached a quality level now where it is getting increasingly more difficult to really wow people," Crytek’s principal rendering engineer Nicolas Schulz told DSOGaming in an interview. "That said, there’s still enough areas to explore and we will definitely keep pushing the boundaries as much as possible."

Schulz also discussed the limitations of high-end PC graphics processing units (GPUs) and the current generation of consoles. On PC, he said, the current generation of high-end GPUs is still far from being able to reach 60 frames-per-second at 4K resolution, which is four times the amount of pixels that need to be shaded compared to 1080p.

"This is very quickly saturating the available bandwidth," Schulz said. "The consoles are clearly behind high-spec GPUs in terms of raw horsepower, however on the positive side, they share the same modern architecture which enables a wealth of interesting optimization techniques."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crytek-says-its-getting-increasingly-difficult-to-/1100-6422746/

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Crytek continuously misses the point. It's not their graphics that people aren't impressed by. It's the rest of the game.

Good, maybe they'll try to improve the gameplay then.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

mornelithe said:
Crytek continuously misses the point. It's not their graphics that people aren't impressed by. It's the rest of the game.

This.

They need to get better in gameplay and story telling... they are good in graphics already.

Well, thats not entirely true cause sure, games that souly rely on polygon count like BF4 and Ryse and etc continues to unimpress me but games with more artistic style such as MK8 and No Man's Sky wow me like never before cause the art direction in those games is just superb

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well, thats not entirely true cause sure, games that souly rely on polygon count like BF4 and Ryse and etc continues to unimpress me but games with more artistic style such as MK8 and No Man's Sky wow me like never before cause the art direction in those games is just superb

I completely agree with you. MK8 is the best looking current gen game even though it was released on the weakest console. 

RealGamingExpert said:
Good, maybe they'll try to improve the gameplay then.

Crytek? Try to improve the gameplay? Good joke, RGE!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

CGI-Quality said:
MoHasanie said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I completely agree with you. MK8 is the best looking current gen game even though it was released on the weakest console. 

From technological standpoint, it is not. However, what Jizz is saying is that he's more impressed with games looking for art over prowess. 

No I know. I'm just agreeing with him cause I think its the best looking game as well. 

Crysis was very popular for years, it was not for the gameplay...Give gamers physics like GMod and gamers spent years with it..

Then perhaps it's time to make games with actual sustance rather than interactive tech demo's? Just a though, Crytek, just a thought. Having graphics as your main selling point is bound to be costly and troublesome in the long run.