By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek Says It's Getting Increasingly Difficult to Wow People With Graphics

mornelithe said:
amak11 said:
mornelithe said:
Crytek continuously misses the point. It's not their graphics that people aren't impressed by. It's the rest of the game.

Considering they also maintain and update Cry Engine I would argue that they don't have a lot of time for game design. The engine can make beautiful stuff, but Unreal 4 came and pretty much put it to shame. I agree it's really hard to wow people with graphics now a days. People are just spoiled by fidelity. 

Every developer updates their engine, and most other developers realize there's a happy medium.  Spending all your time on the engine takes away from the rest of the game.

But for developers who have fully licensed out engines (Epic and Crytek), tend to have a good amount of teams working solely on the engine and enhancing it.  WIth the finanicial issues Crytek has, I assuming they were trying to wow people with a pretty game instead of a good story and great gameplay. Can't do all of one without sacrificing parts of the others. I'm just glad the engine itself hasn't died off 

Around the Network
amak11 said:

mornelithe said:

Every developer updates their engine, and most other developers realize there's a happy medium.  Spending all your time on the engine takes away from the rest of the game.

But for developers who have fully licensed out engines (Epic and Crytek), tend to have a good amount of teams working solely on the engine and enhancing it.  WIth the finanicial issues Crytek has, I assuming they were trying to wow people with a pretty game instead of a good story and great gameplay. Can't do all of one without sacrificing parts of the others. I'm just glad the engine itself hasn't died off 

Indeed, a valid point, but it's also a valid point that Crytek's been screwing the pooch for nearly a decade with regards to obsessively focusing on their engine, and dropping the ball on gameplay, and/or story etc...   Crytek's engine also hasn't been widely licensed for various reasons, so one would expect them to change tack.  That they're still trying to figure out why people aren't impressed with their titles...well, it's sad to see a dev like Crytek go down the toilet like they have.

I'd rather they focus on wowing me with good gameplay.

CGI-Quality said:
I don't think it's so much that they miss the point, in regards to game-play, rather they ignore it, solidifying their position in the industry as tech gurus with lower interest in everything else.

If thats what they are really prioritizing its no wonder they ae having a hard time paying tehir bills.

to OP:

duh??? I will at leaitgive them credit for admiting  it, cause it seems like most of the industry have been brainwashed and have become either extremely stupid or have lost touch of what really matters in games. The day you have to explain to someone why one image looks better than the other of the same shot... then in my opinion you have hit a wall and are wasting you r time or resources. 

GUY A: "Errr, I can't seee the difference"
GUY B: "what the fuck are you blind? Can't you see that on eis running at 1080p and the other is running at 1460p???? Can't you feel that one is running at 30fps and the other at 60fps? LOOK!! V-synced so the framerate is smoother, dammit, ok just stand in front of that wall and slowly pan the camera from right to left!!! Did you see it!!! Thats what having shadows on ultra gives you......"

So tiring......

mornelithe said:
amak11 said:

mornelithe said:

Indeed, a valid point, but it's also a valid point that Crytek's been screwing the pooch for nearly a decade with regards to obsessively focusing on their engine, and dropping the ball on gameplay, and/or story etc...   Crytek's engine also hasn't been widely licensed for various reasons, so one would expect them to change tack.  That they're still trying to figure out why people aren't impressed with their titles...well, it's sad to see a dev like Crytek go down the toilet like they have.

Well I said fully licensed out, no so much widely licensed out. Though I do know 1 game this year coming out that uses it is Sonic Boom. 

We all have our bad days, hopefully they pick up! 

Around the Network

So that means they'll have to focus more in terms of gameplay and story? Oh noes!

Have some of you even tried playing crisis 3?the multiplayer was superb. Grabbing poles from the ground and throwing it at people was satisfying like no other

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

How about they start trying to wow us with story now.

kinisking said:
Have some of you even tried playing crisis 3?the multiplayer was superb. Grabbing poles from the ground and throwing it at people was satisfying like no other

As satisfying as killing people with chickens in 1??? :D

Then change the formula. Look to what the likes of Naughty Dog and Ubisoft for example are doing. Good graphics ONLY will never make a good game. I can't remember the last time i was remotely interested in anything those guys have made.