By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will LaiR and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Boost sales of the Ps3 for this Summer?

Lair was pushed back until august so now the question is will NiNja gaiden sigma boost sales(not significantly) for the ps3... im not sure what the hell i posted earlier in this thread since it was so long ago.. and i really dont feel like looking.. but my answer now would have to be NO..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network
ngg12345 said:
Of course it will increase sales. When a big game is released, it always increases sales. Notice the trend, gears of war, oblivion, or any type of game that has high hype and usually is garnered to a wide audience will almost always will be bound to sell alot. Lair will do so, but ninja gaiden won't. If you look at past records, star wars rogue squadron 2 sold 1.88 million. It isn't like lair will not sell great either. Ninja gaiden will do okay, possibly 500,000. But people are forgetting that hot shot golf 5 is coming out this year too, and will probably at least for one week increase ps3 sales to 50,000 to possibly 200,000.

larry said:

Undoubtedly LAIR would give ps3 a massive boost with 1.5m---3m copies in sales.

NGS at 1080p at 60fps would see ps3 hardware sales spike to 40k per week for some weeks.

as for HEAVENLY SWORD it might turn out to be the best game of the year.

Theres just no doubt in anyone's mind that starting JUNE ,2007 ps3 would dominate all markets.

dont forget a minimum of 200k sales for minna golf due JUNE in JAPAN.

at present minna is at no 8 on famitsu list.

FishyJoe said:
ngg12345 said:
Of course it will increase sales. When a big game is released, it always increases sales. Notice the trend, gears of war, oblivion, or any type of game that has high hype and usually is garnered to a wide audience will almost always will be bound to sell alot. Lair will do so, but ninja gaiden won't. If you look at past records, star wars rogue squadron 2 sold 1.88 million. It isn't like lair will not sell great either. Ninja gaiden will do okay, possibly 500,000. But people are forgetting that hot shot golf 5 is coming out this year too, and will probably at least for one week increase ps3 sales to 50,000 to possibly 200,000.

LOL 500,000 did he actually post that..LOL the original didnt even do that good..hehe

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

I think the only thing that will boost sales for the PS3 is a major price drop coupled with some triple-A games like GTAIV.

Around the Network
footbag said:
If this is as good as it gets, the PS3 is screwed... http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=32697

thatvideo is from JANUARY.

Anyway, on topic, no single game will sell systems except for MGS and FF and those wont even sell THAT many.....but id say we SHOULD expect sales to hover around 100k+ from July on out.....there is enough for people to buy a PS3 game wise, we will have motorstorm, resistance, NGS, NCAA, The Show then Lair and the fall lineup, if the PS3 cant move a total of 225,000 between july and august in the states.........yikes.

But it is so very rare for a single game ot push a system in this day and age its not going to be about ooooo ninja gaiden is here i need a PS3 its "wow, that Lair games looks cool, i know ill like the show and ill give NCAA a try and motorstorm seems fun, i could also give resistance a shot and see what the 40 player online is all about, i think ill get a PS3"

ngg12345 said:

Haha!

Can I quote you on that? 50k PS3 sales in one week? Somehow I doubt that severely ;)
(I presume you mean Japan, as HSG won't do anything in the US)

BTW, Oblivion for the PS3 has sold 160k in 14 weeks, and is sitting at #73 on the charts. I would hope that both LAIR and NGS will do better than this (neither will in Japan).

You are also forgetting the huge appeal of the Star Wars license. Its not Factor5 selling 2m units, its the Star Wars license that did.

LAIR will sell a lot of software in the US, but I don't believe it will push hardware. Maybe an extra 10k-20k for the week. Unless it gets great reviews, it just won't be the system seller than the PS3 so desperately needs.

PS - waiting to see if I have to change my avatar/sig ;) Remember, PS3 domination starts with LAIR!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

steverhcp02 said:

Anyway, on topic, no single game will sell systems except for MGS and FF and those wont even sell THAT many.....but id say we SHOULD expect sales to hover around 100k+ from July on out.....there is enough for people to buy a PS3 game wise, we will have motorstorm, resistance, NGS, NCAA, The Show then Lair and the fall lineup, if the PS3 cant move a total of 225,000 between july and august in the states.........yikes.

But it is so very rare for a single game ot push a system in this day and age its not going to be about ooooo ninja gaiden is here i need a PS3 its "wow, that Lair games looks cool, i know ill like the show and ill give NCAA a try and motorstorm seems fun, i could also give resistance a shot and see what the 40 player online is all about, i think ill get a PS3"

Except for Wii Sports. Its the very definition of a system seller - people are buying the system to play the game. Look at the sales in Japan for proof.

You need differential titles to sell systems (i.e. different products). Mario & Sonic at Olympics, Wii Health, Wii Music, SSBM, Metroid, Mario Galaxy - a good range of software, and most of them will sell more hardware than anything for the PS3 this year (except possibly for LittleBigPlanet).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

roadkillers said:
Lair I doubt will sell many PS3's but im pretty sure NG will sell a lot of consoles. Not like MGS or FF would but a reasonable amount. Not a lot of people played NG for the Xbox since not that many people owned it so it would be a plus.

I think the total opposite. Lair will sell PS3s, NGS won't.

NGS is a remake of a game, Lair is a brand new game. Lair looks better and more epic and has a lot more 'WOW' to it. 

Also the whole riding dragons into massive battles is a lot more appealing in a general way then slicing up ninjas to the masses. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

To tell ya the truth Lair really isn't even that big of a game for the PS3. Neither really is Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I think Lair could sale a solid 400k-500k around the globe but that's not a system seller.