By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Driveclub – Tapping into the power of PS4: Conversations with Creators

Impressive

http://youtu.be/KQOFwD5EtG0

Around the Network

no no no. No more "tapping into" PR this gen. It was appropriate last gen because the PS3 was always more expensive than 360, so it needed a means to say "hey, this is the better buy".

Not needed this gen. It was cheaper than XBone and made it drop price, the OS is simplified and easier to use, the multiplatform games perform better, and we've seen a glimpse of Uncharted 4. I don't need to hear about "DA POWAH!" especially because the PS4s architecture isn't this wildly new setup, like the Cell was. It's so similar to the XBone that whatever they're "tapping into" could theoretically be applied similarly to the XBone...so it's just a moot point to bring it up

BMaker11 said:

no no no. No more "tapping into" PR this gen. It was appropriate last gen because the PS3 was always more expensive than 360, so it needed a means to say "hey, this is the better buy".

Not needed this gen. It was cheaper than XBone and made it drop price, the OS is simplified and easier to use, the multiplatform games perform better, and we've seen a glimpse of Uncharted 4. I don't need to hear about "DA POWAH!" especially because the PS4s architecture isn't this wildly new setup, like the Cell was. It's so similar to the XBone that whatever they're "tapping into" could theoretically be applied similarly to the XBone...so it's just a moot point to bring it up

Although you have valid points, the difference between PS4 and XB1 is several times as much as the difference between Linux with Open GL and Windows with Direct 3D. On top of that, PS4 is more powerful, gives lower access, with more mature and direct drivers, and a heavier focus on gaming, as there are more uninterrupted resources available to the gaming assets. There are also certain technologies which are exclusive to the PS4, simply because of the additional CUs, GDDR5 RAM, proprietary API, and specific design properties.

XB1 was designed as a multimedia machine from the get-go, and never as powerful and gaming-focused as PS4. It uses a variant of direct 3D, with some exclusive technologies but many others missing. The main reasons Microsoft can perform similarly to PS4 thus far are because

- Third Parties target the common denominator, and simply use the extra raw power of PS4 for higher res etc.

- Third Parties are more familiar with the DirectX API, and use additional time to optimize for the shortcomings of DDR3-ESRAM while they are learning to do a similar work on PS4's APIs.

- Third parties don't even bother to optimize or tap into PS4-specific features mostly. XB1 has very few, if at all, untapped potential, since practically everything about Direct 3D is already well-known. There are a few new features available which are quickly shared in public, and easily assimilated into the PS4 API set.

Although I don't expect big differences from 3rd party releases, at least for the first few years, first party titles will have substantial advantage over XB1 titles due to the untapped potential of PS4. Those titles are genuinely not possible on XB1 without huge downgrades, or not at all. On the other hand, I see practically no title which is possible on XB1 but not on PS4.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

MindBlowing.

And of course Driveclub2 will look better, as Devs always find new tricks and learn more the hardware to push more any engine.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
MindBlowing.

And of course Driveclub2 will look better, as Devs always find new tricks and learn more the hardware to push more any engine.

No ... no ... no, Motorstorm 4 will look better.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

The ONLY similarities between the XB1 and the PS4 architectures  is that both their APUs are made fom the same company and they both have 8GB or RAM.

Nothing else is the same and all those differences adds up to something that means that nothing tapped into one one could "theoretically" be applied to the other. If you are talking specs, then at least be honest and talk specs.

There is a power and design advantage, there is no doubt about that. If 3rd party devs use those advanatages is left to be seen doesn't mean it isn't there.

Having said that, the video actually talked more about the game and what working on new hardware basically allowed them do; so it even has nothing to do with the power comparison that you seem to be making. They ae basically talking about whatthey could do with the PS4 as opposed to the PS3. So I don't even get why you are saying what you are saying.

At the very least I'll give the free version a spin.

click image upload

I got it yesterday.  Game is amazing so far. It reminds me of burnout paradise. 

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Yafea said:

Yafea said:

click image upload

Id ask you to livestream but im sure you would get in alot of trouble