By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 39, 2014 (September 22 - 28)

Ka-pi96 said:
Mummelmann said:

But Nintendo games have good legs on Nintendo systems!This was perhaps the most predictable crash & burn release in the entire 8th gen so far; there was never any reason what so ever to think that Bayo 2 would do great or even well on a platform like the Wii U.

We'll see the same story all over again when Bayo 2 launch numbers pop up for NA and Europe.

Fixed

Ah, see; I already knew that!

Legs in general in games today is a rarity; it has become more and more front-loaded and we're seeing massive first week sales that lead up to rather unimpressive (relatively speaking) lifetime sales many times in the last decade or so.

Around the Network
Sh1nn said:

Bayonetta (PS3) - 138,430 copies (4 days)

Bayonetta (360) - 66,211 copies (4 days)

Bayonetta 1 + 2 (Wii U) - 42,398 copies (9 days)

Awesome its doing extremely well, can you do a SSB comparison now :)

Sh1nn said:

Bayonetta (PS3) - 138,430 copies (4 days)

Bayonetta (360) - 66,211 copies (4 days)

Bayonetta 1 + 2 (Wii U) - 42,398 copies (9 days)

"B-b-b-but it was only out one day!"  What will the spin be this week?  Honestly, what could it be?

You know, I never looked into it, but what does the "reader reviews" score mean? Or does it mean exactly what I think it means? I've looked over the source site a few times but I've not found any actual explanation for it... or my ability to read Japanese has woefully slipped.

XBO is holding better than expected. Fatal Frame didn't do great despite it having a fair amount of points on COMG.

Around the Network

I wonder if xbone will be able to stave off dipping into triple digits for another week.

Ka-pi96 said:

I wonder why that is though. More people buying used? People buying digitally? Or maybe the quantity of games and advertising nowadays means people just buy the next big thing instead of a game from a couple of months ago.

Used game market is a pretty big thing, at least in Japan.

Ka-pi96 said:
Mummelmann said:

Ah, see; I already knew that!

Legs in general in games today is a rarity; it has become more and more front-loaded and we're seeing massive first week sales that lead up to rather unimpressive (relatively speaking) lifetime sales many times in the last decade or so.

I wonder why that is though. More people buying used? People buying digitally? Or maybe the quantity of games and advertising nowadays means people just buy the next big thing instead of a game from a couple of months ago.

I think it's the overall movement in the entertainment industry in general; the pace has increased, people line up for hardware (phones especially), people queue all week for movie tickets, pre-orders are a big thing with developers throwing in bonus content etc, there are more revisions and mountains of add-on's and extensions in both hardware and software. The broader it is, the faster it moves (markets, that is).

The modern consumer electronics customer is quickly bored, it seems, and static products like consoles are forced to do revisions and bait capaigns to maintain momentum (look at the 3DS frantically re-inventing itself more or less every year just to keep its head above the water for an example). We're even seeing the gaming industry adopting more smart-device like strategies in offering "free" content or bonus content on purchases, not unlike subsidiaries and "all-inclusive" subscriptions for modern phones.

Why people are in such a hurry though, is beyond me...

X1 baseline ~1K a week? Bit better than I expected (800), but still poor.

Holding out hope 2015 can see PS4 manage some improved numbers there (~20-25K a week)

Can someone provide Hardware last week numbers for comparison reasons? I want to know the boost of FF V, I know it was very small, but not how small.