By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft Indonesia president: Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners

As it should be. Microsoft support for Windows 8 is pathetic. I feel ripped off.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
kinisking said:
How did people not know Windows 8 would suck. It's always been this way. Every other one sucks. Think of those as the beta to see what the people are interested in.

Windows 98 and XP were both good.

Win 98 and ME were full of problems too and it wasn't till they switched to the NT kernel with XP that they got things right.

i still love windows 7 and not very fond of 8 (i however didnt try it, yet). but i just might pass up W8 and go to W9 right away, if they decide to treat it like a desktop OS that is

Ehh i hope the upgrade is optional though, i wanna see if 9 is better before changing

So can we assume it will be more of a Service Pack 2? I ain't even mad, learned W8 and it's ok, what we really need is to quote the classic:"DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!" because the Windows Store is shit.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network
eFKac said:
So can we assume it will be more of a Service Pack 2? I ain't even mad, learned W8 and it's ok, what we really need is to quote the classic:"DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!" because the Windows Store is shit.

what are you talking about, piratebay is a fantastic store

zarx said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
Windows 8.1 is fantastic, though. Now, THAT is a rebranded service pack.

Win9 will allow for apps that will run on phone and PC with the same code, Cortana, Modern apps on desktop...
...my body is ready.

Windows 8.1 is a service pack, no rebranding neccessary. It is literally windows 8 service pack 1. Windows 9 seems to be 8.2 just renamed Windows 9. Not that that is neccesserily a bad thing. Windows doesn't need a big overhaul, just some iterative improvements to UI and APIs. Which Win 9 seems to be delivering on so far.

Win 8 had cross platform apps (and it's still just as bad an idea now as it was then), speech recognition has been in since Vista and cortana is just a natural evolution of that (not a particularly useful one when you have a full keyboard available wich is 100% accurate and usualy quicker than speech anyway), modern apps on desktop has been doable since win 8 launched via 3rd party extensions and via snapping, it's not piticularly useful as most of the modern apps suck.

Ah, okay then. I don't count features added by third-party entities as features pushed by the OS, though.

Win9, from what I gather, is a complete paradigm shift for Microsoft. Even in Win8.1, you're still shoved to the Modern side of things pretty often -  if you don't really know what you're doing, or you happen to rely on the retooled PC Settings app. The Charms system (which I find awesome for some reason) also gets pushed to you rather often, even in the desktop.

By the way, as a Windows Phone user, I'll have to correct you on your perception of Cortana. Cortana is fun to use as a virtual voice-controlled assistant for a day. What I end up going back for is the fact that they've literally replaced the Bing (soon-to-be-rebranded MSN) apps for me. It's a one-stop-shop, I guess?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

burninmylight said:
Nettles said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Never even heard of Windows ME.

Lucky you.Still, I don't think 98 was all that bad although I do remember it crashing slightly more than 95.

You don't remember seeing this every 15 minutes?

or

Eh it wasn't that bad.98 didn't really change much but it wasn't bad like vista was.Usb support straight out of the box and vastly improved screen resolutions, a few multimedia improvements.Compare it to ME and it's a gift from god.

Awseome. I made the mistake of Buying Windows 8 laptops, because W7 was off the market by the time I needed to buy one. But I bought my Desktop when W7 was at its height. And now I get to skip to W9 for my next desktop purchase. Though that won't be for at least another year, or more.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jlmurph2 said:
Yesssss! I have Windows 8!

Yesssss! I have Windows 7! :p