By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft Indonesia president: Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners

Win 8 works pretty well for my touch-screen laptop, but I know it would be hell without it. Hopefully Win 9 is a successful hybrid that works for both touch and mouse users. If it is, I'll update from Win 7 and pay for it, but my Win 8 laptop will be testing waters.

Around the Network

That would be good.
Windows 8 keeps crashing for me ):

deskpro2k3 said:
I don't get MS sometimes. They went bad with Vista, then Windows 7 made things good again, now Windows 8 is like another Vista..

Windows 8 is nothing like another Vista. The issues with Vista always related to software/driver compatibility issues with seemingly everything, whereas the issues with Windows 8 were with the user interface significantly changing, and people just not liking these changes. One is much worse than the other to deal with. I'll give a hint, it isn't user interface changes.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

deskpro2k3 said:
I don't get MS sometimes. They went bad with Vista, then Windows 7 made things good again, now Windows 8 is like another Vista..

A big problem with Windows 8 was not only the drastic change in interface that no one asked for, but also that it led to such a short lifetime to Windows 7, a popular Windows.  They only gave it 3 years to live, while they gave XP 6 years.  I don't think that sat too well with consumers.

@ OP

Well, I was considering getting a Windows 7 laptop soon, but if this actually turns out to be a decent Windows, I might wait to purchase a laptop with it.

thismeintiel said:
deskpro2k3 said:

A big problem with Windows 8 was not only the drastic change in interface that no one asked for, but also that it led to such a short lifetime to Windows 7, a popular Windows.  They only gave it 3 years to live, while they gave XP 6 years.  I don't think that sat too well with consumers.

Well they had to do something to compete against the ipad and Android tablets which were beginning to affect Windows sales. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

That'd be great, I love Windows 8 but I'm totally ready to upgrade.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
kinisking said:
How did people not know Windows 8 would suck. It's always been this way. Every other one sucks. Think of those as the beta to see what the people are interested in.

Windows 98 and XP were both good.

There was Windows ME in between, so the pattern roughly fits the claim "every other one sucks".  The exact details are a bit muddled by the existence of the Windows NT line and Windows 2000.

ebw said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
kinisking said:
How did people not know Windows 8 would suck. It's always been this way. Every other one sucks. Think of those as the beta to see what the people are interested in.

Windows 98 and XP were both good.

There was Windows ME in between, so the pattern roughly fits the claim "every other one sucks".  The exact details are a bit muddled by the existence of the Windows NT line and Windows 2000.

Never even heard of Windows ME.

In other words it's a re-branded service pack.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Windows 8.1 is fantastic, though. Now, THAT is a rebranded service pack.

Win9 will allow for apps that will run on phone and PC with the same code, Cortana, Modern apps on desktop...
...my body is ready.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3