By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Shadow of Mordor Run at 720p/30fps on Xbox One?

Don't buy a console if you care that much about the graphic settings lol

Around the Network
binary solo said:

I think you're right in terms of effort vs outcome. I've read a few interviews where devs say PS4 is pretty easy to work on, and you have to put more effort into Xb one to get comparable performance. But that doesn't necessarily mean the performance gap will increase with time. It will only increase if devs put equal time and effort into optimisation on both platforms. But if devs put in the necessary time and effort they should get comparable performance. The problem is time=money and how much money do you sink into optimising performance for the platform that is falling further and further behind in user base. If there comes a point where AAA games are selling 3:1 in favour of Ps4 then it's going to be hard to justify putting extra time and money into the version which is going to sell far less. It's not because of inherent power difference but because it's bad business to expend effort for little reward that we could see a situation where multiplat performance becomes PS4>>xb one >Wii U. 

This is the reason it's important for xb one not to fall too far behind Ps4. Also it will become ever more expensive for MS to buy exclusivity, and justify it. It was justified for Xbog because it was a new venture and it needed the investment. It was justified for 360 because it was selling very well and was the HD market leader for most of the gen. Hard to justify on Xb one when the vision for the future is a world the traditional home console.

Get that off your head already. The PS4 and XBO don't have the same specs. One factually doesnt't perform as much as the other. And no amount of optimization is going to make that go away. Fully optimize a game for both, and the outcome will always be the same. The PS4 version will be ahead. Why is it so difficult to sink that in the head of some people?

zero129 said:
Scisca said:
Makes me wonder, as the gen goes on, the difference is gonna grow or stay at the same level. People are complaining about lazy devs, but maybe it's the contrary - the devs are starting to master the consoles and are capable of taking full advantage of the extra horsepower PS4 has?

Na id put it down to lazy devs as if you know anything about hardware you would know the PS4 does not have a 100% advantage over the X1 when it comes to Power its more like a 25-30% more power if even that but dif not enough to make such a drastic dif in the game...

We will see. While a gap between 720@30 and 1080@60 is absolutely crazy, I can see the gap growing larger than what we have seen thus far in the gen. After all, the PS4 GPU is more powerful, on paper it looks much more capable and the other parts are also slightly in favour of PS4. It being the lead platform for the gen should also have its consequences. Still, I think that we have to wait until The Final Showdown takes place.

What is The Final Showdown you ask? It's the inevitable Uncharted 4 vs Halo 5 comparison war. Oh, it will be a glorious and bloody one, I tell ya... Can't wait!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

zero129 said:

Clearly that would be what you would say but like i said anyone that knows about hardware (Not fans of one company like you) will tell you that the hardware for the PS4 is not there to make such a big jump above the X1 as they are both about the same with the PS4 only having that "Bit" more power but then you PS gamers didnt seem to care much about the X360 having better res for weaker hardware last gen right? whats changed this gen did ye all become PC gamers or something?? where res now matters??

The gap in hardware is bigger than most guys belive here... it is not only 40% RAM GPU power.

• Xbone: GCN 1.0
  • Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU (12 CUs)
  • Xbone: 768 Shaders
  • Xbone: 48 Texture units
  • Xbone: 16 ROPS
  • Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues
  • PS4: GCN 1.1 (a newer revision)
  • PS4: 1.84TF GPU (14 + 4 Advanced CUs) + 40%
  • PS4: 1152 Shaders +50%
  • PS4: 72 Texture units +50%
  • PS4: 32 ROPS + 100%
  • PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues +400%

Xbone have a lot of bottleneck that make the utilization of these 1.31TF more difficult to get 100% than PS4.

Hynad said:
binary solo said:

I think you're right in terms of effort vs outcome. I've read a few interviews where devs say PS4 is pretty easy to work on, and you have to put more effort into Xb one to get comparable performance. But that doesn't necessarily mean the performance gap will increase with time. It will only increase if devs put equal time and effort into optimisation on both platforms. But if devs put in the necessary time and effort they should get comparable performance. The problem is time=money and how much money do you sink into optimising performance for the platform that is falling further and further behind in user base. If there comes a point where AAA games are selling 3:1 in favour of Ps4 then it's going to be hard to justify putting extra time and money into the version which is going to sell far less. It's not because of inherent power difference but because it's bad business to expend effort for little reward that we could see a situation where multiplat performance becomes PS4>>xb one >Wii U. 

This is the reason it's important for xb one not to fall too far behind Ps4. Also it will become ever more expensive for MS to buy exclusivity, and justify it. It was justified for Xbog because it was a new venture and it needed the investment. It was justified for 360 because it was selling very well and was the HD market leader for most of the gen. Hard to justify on Xb one when the vision for the future is a world the traditional home console.

Get that off your head already. The PS4 and XBO don't have the same specs. One factually doesnt't perform as much as the other. And no amount of optimization is going to make that go away. Fully optimize a game for both, and the outcome will always be the same. The PS4 version will be ahead. Why is it so difficult to sink that in the head of some people?

You clearly read my post the way you wanted to, rather than what I actually wrote. Just a hint to aid your comprehension, comparable =/=same.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Hynad said:
binary solo said:

My guess is that this is the largest gap we have actually seen in performance between the top consoles (in terms of power.)  While some don't want to admit it, this is larger than the gap between the Xbox and PS2.  The PS4 is ~1.4x the power of the XBO for goodness sakes, yet people act like that means nothing.  They keep pointing to early cross-gen games to point out the power gap is shrinking, but when we have games that are actually aiming to use the console's power, we are getting discrepancies like these.

@ OP

zero129 said:
Arkaign said:
A cloud of multiplats are coming this holiday season, and most of them will be best on ps4. Gap will never close.

What gap?? if its just res then might as well buy a PC since you can buy a PC now for sub 500 that would out do a PS4 and a X1..

Oh wait are we on about a sales gap or something? otherwise i dont know what makes Sony fans so happy??

I love PC gaming, but that's a weak deflection. No Bloodborne, no TLOU, hell no MCC or Forza on PC either. And for the tons of multiplats which never show up on PC either. The best place to play them is PS4. Btw a $500 pc can't touch a ps4 yet, it's hard to do for under $750ish. And even then you're missing tons of titles. 

ethomaz said:
binary solo said:

No way on earth it's 720p 30fps while PS4 is 1080 at 60 unlocked. My bet is 900p or thereabouts 60fps unlocked. PS4 is more powerful, but not that much more.
If 720 30 is true then I think lazy dev is a legit accusation.

There is another option...

PS4 was being subutilized due the start of the generation and it have more "power" to spare... I and others guys said that the gap in performance will be widen because devs are not using the full potential of PS4 yet while they are optimizing a hell of the code on Xbone to close the gap.

The hardware gap is bigger than the gap showed until now in games... the situation will get worst in my view in the last years of this gen.

If this is the case, then Watch Dogs downgrade might have been to make the Xbox One version look comparable to the PS4 and PC.  From the original trailer showing off the graphics, to Ubisoft stating the PS4 version would be running at 1080p 60fps some time before the launch of the version we got. 

zero129 Na id put it down to lazy devs as if you know anything about hardware you would know the PS4 does not have a 100% advantage over the X1 when it comes to Power its more like a 25-30% more power if even that but dif not enough to make such a drastic dif in the game...

i dont know man,you wont see that big of a difference with multiplat games,devs/resources are split,and no single console is gonna have an entire team taking full advantage of it from the ground up.... but exclusives is where im seeing the 40-50% difference.. look at games in a similiar(ish) genres, like ryse vs the order,i see the order looking better everywhere from graphics,physics(blowing holes through buildings) and actual solid/stable framerate from most of the latest videos.-

infamous vs sunset overdrive,i see a big difference within 3 seconds.

driveclub vs both forza5 and horizon...another huge visual difference....

tomorrows children looks pixar quality,cant even compare it to anything anywhere

again tomorrows children/infamous go heavy using the gpgpu and that extra horse power is showing...But for all these games,its not just graphics, but the overall package,including physics/framerate goes towards that 40-50%power difference....

it is not 720p, watching a stream of it, texture detail is VERY clear and not blury