By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Watch Dogs is still the fastest selling new IP in Europe

DaltonAbbey said:
Anyway, I believe Ubi might be "cheating" here and not counting bundle copies. While there was a WD bundle in EU, it wasn't nearly as appetizing as the Destiny one because the game was not free, unlike Destiny. Even if WD is more in line with european tastes, i think the free game would make up for that. Or maybe the reason is that Destiny sold less on PS3 than WD (totally possible), although Destiny PS4 outsold WD PS4 (veeery likely)

no they dont. "according to gfk"

gfk  count bundles

bundles for destiny and bundles for watch_dogs

Around the Network

Sony sure mustn't be disappointed with ~half a million consoles they sold in a week thanks to destiny. It not only proved to be a huge system seller, but it also prevented XB1 to sell more than it could. In the end it was good for both consoles, but PS4 sure deserved the huge boost it gave thanks to exclusive marketing campaign.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

That's too bad because Watch Dogs is a solid 6.5 at best.

That's a shame as Watch Dogs really didn't deserve the sales it achieved, it was a mediocre game at best. Quite fun at times, but not even close to living up to expectations. However, this comment comes with a disclaimer as I've really soured toward Ubisoft as of late. Their business practices and their games seem to revolve around milking the consumer for all they're worth. The latest season pass trailer advertising DLC well in advance of their next games release really got me.

Wow and Destiny had the advantage of much more advertising. Either way, both had PS4 exclusive advertising and bundles.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I guess Ubisoft was lucky to (maybe) win Europe and not have to artificially carving out of the two games global sales an arbitrary region where WD sold faster, at least for now. Which game got more advertising is quite difficult to tell, both had a lot of it.
Anyhow, both had awesome starts, the rest is just PR.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Good for ubisoft, I hope they improve with the next game in the series, and don't turn in into annual franchise.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Destiny outsold on consoles, but pc is bigger than many people understand. Not launching on pc was dumb for the franchise, but benefitted Sony easily. I still expect Destiny PC early 2015.

Eh, the difference is entirely because of PC (and then some). Should be bigger on next-gen than WD though, in Europe as a whole.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

kowenicki said:
vivster said:
kowenicki said:
vivster said:
Wow. And that's even with all the new tier 2 countries :P

Not to mention the hugely expensive marketing campaign run by Sony and the extra 1m next gen consoles out there in Europe.

You're right. The hugely expensive marketing campaign by Sony for Watch Dogs really was a big success.

watch dogs sold all those extra consoles since.  if you say so... lol.

OT

it will also be interesting to see the lifetime sales of these games and then compare them to other new IP's. 

You do know that both WD and Destiny were "sponsored" by Sony, so to say. I don't know why you would mention that as a reason for WD being bigger in Europe.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com