By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors shows the Wii U's CPU isn't THAT weak

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:
Turkish said:

have you seen the earlier linked post, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YwzuAzYbg_g#t=343

Is PS2 more powerful? Look at all those NPCs

Hugely simpler setup. No environment to speak of, even more basic behaviours.

Of course, but we're talking about a single core CPU clocked at 300Mhz (and a cache small enough to be classed as a micro organism :p).

If a CPU that old/shit can pull off something like Kessen 2 and 3, then there's nothing particularly surprising about 3 cores clocked at 1.24GHz being able to pull off what we see in HW. It could probably pull off a fair amount more (or at least run HW more stably) with more work.

It's true that the phrase "just three Wii CPUs taped together" is rather misleading (though not entirely untrue, as least in respect to the cores themselves), but HW doesn't demonstrate anything we wouldn't expect from our current estimations of the WiiU's CPU.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

Obviously hit detection isn't applied to a mob that isn't being hit. (Though try running through your own troops; they DO have collision detection) But then, hit detection has to be run for when you wade through an army slashing in every direction. And you cannot run the animations and routines of hundreds of  haracters for the same performance hit as just one.

It really isn't the big deal you're making it out to be, and isn't a good indicator of the WiiU's power, I've been a game developer for an extremely long time, I have worked on games from all platforms, I was working on a WiiU project up until I resigned to handle my pregnancy, and now, take care of my child.

So I will leave it at this, since you're not going to agree regardless of which information is presented to you, regardless of how qualified the person presenting it is.

Based on your other posts it really does seem that you know your stuff. It's good to have devs on these forums. Also, congrats on the birth of your child. Something worth living and dying for. At least that's how I feel about my kids.

Zekkyou said:
curl-6 said:
Turkish said:

have you seen the earlier linked post, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YwzuAzYbg_g#t=343

Is PS2 more powerful? Look at all those NPCs

Hugely simpler setup. No environment to speak of, even more basic behaviours.

Of course, but we're talking about a single core CPU clocked at 300Mhz (and a cache small enough to be classed as a micro organism :p).

If a CPU that old/shit can pull off something like Kessen 2 and 3, then there's nothing particularly surprising about 3 cores clocked at 1.24GHz being able to pull off what we see in HW. It could probably pull off a fair amount more (or at least run HW more stably) with more work.

It's true that the phrase "just three Wii CPUs taped together" is rather misleading (though not entirely untrue, as least in respect to the cores themselves), but HW doesn't demonstrate anything we wouldn't expect from our current estimations of the WiiU's CPU.

I can't really think of a better benchmark to date though; the only other games on Wii U that have much going on CPU-wise are ports from systems with fundamentally different CPUs.

curl-6 said:
Zekkyou said:

I can't really think of a better benchmark to date though; the only other games on Wii U that have much going on CPU-wise are ports from systems with fundamentally different CPUs.

I can agree with you on that at least. I just don't think HW is demonstrating anything that we wouldn't expect from its CPU.

It could be used as proof that the WiiU's CPU isn't literally 3 Wii CPU's though, assuming there are people that honestly believe that. HW running on 3x1.24GHz makes sense, but it certainly wouldn't run on 3x700Mhz with a much smaller cache.

Zekkyou said:
curl-6 said:

I can agree with you on that at least. I just don't think HW is demonstrating anything that we wouldn't expect from its CPU.

It could be used as proof that the WiiU's CPU isn't literally 3 Wii CPU's though, assuming there are people that honestly believe that. HW running on 3x1.24GHz makes sense, but it certainly wouldn't run on 3x700Mhz with a much smaller cache.

That's pretty much was I was getting at, yeah. That some of the more exaggerated views of its "weakness" don't tally with what we see in Hyrule Warriors. (Though as with you, it's about what I'd expect from it)

Around the Network

Of all the games you picked to show the power of a console, a mid-tier Japanese dev :P

I always find musou games impressive, but that's across all consoles. I haven't seen Hyrule Warriors do anything particularly noteworthy on WiiU.

It's THAT weak but I feel it's good enough for me anyway. Some people feel the need to have a powerhouse to play their games but I don't!

Let's just accept it... the Wii U is weak.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Kresnik said:
Of all the games you picked to show the power of a console, a mid-tier Japanese dev :P

I always find musou games impressive, but that's across all consoles. I haven't seen Hyrule Warriors do anything particularly noteworthy on WiiU.

Like I say, it's simply doing more in terms of characters on screen and such than would be possible if the more drastic myths about its CPU weakness" (e.g. just a triple core Wii CPU) were true.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Isn't that weak compared to?

Compared to what many people believe.

since the enemies in the game dont to much at all maybe they just have 1 enemy get an ai and the rest is somewhat glued to the one with "brain" (always having the same distance and mimicing the 1 enemy move albeit with 1 second delay or so) and the enemies just get individual AI when you approach them?

Would be a good solution for a game with enemies that dont do much.