By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most exciting games in the near future are Japanese?

Agree?

Yup. 106 80.92%

Nope. 25 19.08%

Total:131

Bloodborne and MGS5 look cool, but those are really the only ones that appeal to me.

On the other hand, I'm excited about Beyond Earth, DA Inquisition, Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor, No Man's Sky, and quite a few other Western games, so it's all down to taste.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Let's see...

Japan: Persona Q, Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV (still not released in Europe), Tales of Zestira, Bravely Second, Metal Gear Solid V, FF XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil: R2, Tekken 7, Persona 4 Arena 2 Ultimax, Guilty Gear Xrd, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Yakuza Zero (although I doubt it'll be localized), Mighty no. 9, The Last Guardian, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I think it's time to give up on that one

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

That's good games, but half of the series are more than 15 years old... I don't see any change in the current trend : the japanese game series last long but died one by one (and I do think that's because the quality is declining at least compared to other games, compared to what the hardware can handle, and last but not least compared to previous games), and it concentrates more and more on the very few big series. I mean, what is Konami nowadays, a one game company ? What happens right now is that they can't even compete for launch games, they are late, can't take the risk for a tiny market, and have thin chances compared to bigger games... so, the few of them just come at the same time, more than one year after launch.

And in term of game fun, I really loved Yakuza 2, then the 1 was fun but still very similar, then the 3 was very disappointing... because it was absolutely the same game, the same places, the same gameplay and the same PS2-like limitations (map size, no car, collision test, interactivity) for the 3rd time. I didn't even played the 4... Tried the zombie version, it was utter sh*t. And more than anything, they killed my so loved Biohazard serie, the Team Ico could not produce anything in an entire generation, Sega Rally was just so bad and outdated, FZero was killed, etc. Yeah, definitely, I'm less and less excited by japanese games, and not really pleased to say it... I mean my train is direct to akihabara, I'd love to go there and see stands full of games I want to play. Anyway, it's good for you if you are still excited !

Well, Nintendo hadn't stopped being Japanese last time I checked, so yes.

Much like Kresnik, I must say that Japan is Games!

Far and away better offerings.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

i agree: Bloodborne, Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain, FF Type 0, FF XV, Yakuza 0

Looks like japanese are getting back on top of the industry at least for now.

Looking at last month's Most Wanted results, here, I'm inclined to agree that Japanese games are making a comeback.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

For me personally, the most exciting games tend to come from the Japanese. However, I acknowledge that is my personal bias. I enjoy them more than the stuff released by the west.

The two games I'm currently most excited for are MGSV and bloodborne, so I guess this true.

More japanese games for the near future:

Hyrule Warriors
Smash Bros
Bayonetta 2

And some more
Devils Third
Captain Toad
Zelda U
Xenoblade X

I am more excited for the last two than I have been ever for western games ... or japan games.