By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Exposed: The Secret Mailing List of the Gaming Journalism Elite....huh? Wow!

DGJWFAN said:
spurgeonryan said:
DD_Bwest said:
can we stop calling it journalism? there is very little, if anything remotely close to journalism within the gaming media mass.

What should we call them? Writers, propogandists?

Bloggers. That's all they are. Unless you have a degree in journalism you really shouldn't be calling yourself a journalist, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Here you could be a journalist without a degree or with a degree in a different field. There are a law trying to demand the degree and there is quite the opposition here (Brazil).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Not surprised in the least after having lived and read through the 7th generation with all the ridiculous review scores and scandals on gaming sites.

DonFerrari said:
method114 said:
The peoeple who should really be mad are the game devs themselves. I heard COD devs had a contract that gave them more money if their game scored higher or something along those lines. If they built some sort of grudge with these so called journalist they could end up losing millions with bad reviews that bring down the metascore.

And that together with devs money led to sugarcoated review and critics.

Yea I pretty much don't trust reviews anymore I read them just to get an idea about the game but the reviewers final score really means nothing to me. At the same time it's hard because if you describe a game right you can make it sound really really horrible when it's really not. Like Destiny they say the end game is nothing but grinding which is true but putting it like that makes it sound boring when really it's no different then going into an online FPS (COD,BF4,Gears) and just palying the PVP for a few hours. Except in this game you get new equipment and things like that which I guess is more similar to BF4.

method114 said:
DonFerrari said:
method114 said:
The peoeple who should really be mad are the game devs themselves. I heard COD devs had a contract that gave them more money if their game scored higher or something along those lines. If they built some sort of grudge with these so called journalist they could end up losing millions with bad reviews that bring down the metascore.

And that together with devs money led to sugarcoated review and critics.

Yea I pretty much don't trust reviews anymore I read them just to get an idea about the game but the reviewers final score really means nothing to me. At the same time it's hard because if you describe a game right you can make it sound really really horrible when it's really not. Like Destiny they say the end game is nothing but grinding which is true but putting it like that makes it sound boring when really it's no different then going into an online FPS (COD,BF4,Gears) and just palying the PVP for a few hours. Except in this game you get new equipment and things like that which I guess is more similar to BF4.

Let's say story telling, narrative and focusing in the right way isn't strongs of the reviewers... myself I use metacritic only (for games I don't know), below 70 probably won't pick (unless a friend indicate or lend or I find it for less than 5 bucks), above 90 almost certain buying (unless on a genre I don't like or dev/game that burned me before) in between I will read some review, see some youtube gameplay and decide (and if price is good then it is a sell)... no way trusting this guys.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

spurgeonryan said:
XanderXT said:
This is why I don't like modern journalism. I hope I can change it when I become a Journalist.

Journalist in gaming or something else?

In gaming.

Around the Network

Would not be surprised if they pushed Wii U doom agenda...

I don't know the issue they're referring to.

Their discussing whether talking about someone's privet life is appropriate or in the public interest, right? Surely that's responsible journalism.

Surely we want journalists to discuss when to respect peoples privacy and be ethically aware?