By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai talks lack of Ice Climbers in Smash Bros

Sakurai talks lack of Ice Climbers in Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS, as well as release dates

- Ice Climbers were running in the Wii U version
- due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game
- with Ice Climbers unlikely to have another installment in their franchise, high priority wasn't given to them
- Wii U/3DS versions having different release dates is due to debugging
- if both games shared the same release date, the titles could have slipped to 2015
- Akihiro Toda, who was behind the texts in the Mother series, wrote the trophy descriptions

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/237530-sakurai-talks-lack-of-ice-climbers-in-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-as-well-as-release-dates

Around the Network

tagged

What a shame.

If the New 3DS was the original model of the 3DS, the Ice Climbers would've most likely gotten in.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some, and at least we have Duck Hunt.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

"due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game"

Hmm... It seems to me more and more that the main reason for the n3ds was more cause the developers wanted more horsepower than anything else cause with games like SSB, u have the whole "you can't use miiverse or web browser while you are playing the game" and now this. And not to mention that u have several games lag including games like Pokemon from time to time.

Too bad the n3ds wasn't the 3ds that launched or else most of these problems would have been elevated. I personally blame 3ds's 3d thing tbh cause I feel like if they didn't try to push that so hard, the 3ds would have had enough power to not have issues such as this but oh well. Great system none the less

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

When the stages are different what is preventing them from making Ice Climbers a WiiU only feature? Its not like the game is going be cross-platform-play anyway (was cancelled)

Both games also have different single player modes.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
When the stages are different what is preventing them from making Ice Climbers a WiiU only feature? Its not like the game is going be cross-platform-play anyway (was cancelled)

Probably the gyped feeling factor for people who buy the 3DS game.

The 3DS version could have half the characters and I wouldn't complain. But not only are they severely damaging Smash's potential to drive sales of the Wii U by having a 3DS version at all; they're actually limiting the Wii U version because of the 3DS version.

They're giving people just about no reason to wait and get it for Wii U. In fact, they're literally TAKING AWAY reasons, one after another. Because Nintendo.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

how about Mewtwo, Lucas, PKMON Trainer?

JazzB1987 said:

I wonder the same. Also, what is so bad about the moveset of Ice Climbers, that they require more horsepower? Maybe Namco can add it as a DLC on WiiU (with other stuff, like the MK8 DLC).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
JazzB1987 said:

I wonder the same. Also, what is so bad about the moveset of Ice Climbers, that they require more horsepower? Maybe Namco can add it as a DLC on WiiU (with other stuff, like the MK8 DLC).

It's probably the fact there would be 5 players on screen at once.