By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - After Watch Dogs, Titanfall, and Destiny, is 2014 the Year of Too Much Hype?

ironmanDX said:
bubblegamer said:
ironmanDX said:

Have you played titanfall? 

Funny, as others have mentioned, it managed to be the highest critically acclaimed title gets the most flak. Infamous was hyped quite high as well and wasn't as well rated at metacritic. It should be included in the conversation, surely. 

lol no one called Infamous the game of the generation or a game that was going to pull everyone in, so no reason to mention it. And no i haven't, which is why i was mentioning it's performance sales wise.

The gotg thing was a joke... For the millionth time. We, well, one specific user started calling it that as a joke and others jumped in on the action. If it was taken seriously, that wasn't our issue. It's quite obvious, really. 

You think 2 million sales on an install base of 4 million when released to 5 million now for a new IP is bad?

Almost as hilarious as taking the gotg seriously, almost. 

Now that the game underperformed and haven't made X1 catch on fire on the charts you claim it is a joke... several MS supporters were quite rampant on how the game would be great and make X1 overtake ps4, we had like 4 threads a day for 1 month talking about it, and it wasn't just 1 person saying it was GOTG (J_Allard), several other have used the monicker and really supported it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

2015!

Once upon a time, all that could push sales of a game was a great demo. Basically the game spoke for itself and then word or mouth carried it through.

These days, we don't even get demos anymore, rather we get a teaser, a trailer, then a collection of stratgic leaks, then finally... dev fucking diaries. All to do one thing, "talk" about a game rather than let people actually play the game. So yh, games (or rather sales) are all about generating hype these days and not about actually making a good game.

I think this year was too much hype expected because of the new consoles. It was just so much going on about how awesome the experience will be on the new, next gen systems.

Too much hype in 2014? I think there some truth to that. I think Watch Dogs and Titanfall were overhyped. I enjoyed both and put many hours into the. Hell I have the collector's edition of Titanfall but I don't care to go back to the game. Right now though I am really enjoying Destiny. I can't say its overhyped personally. I am loving everything about it. It has incredible shooting mechanics, the music is some of the best I have ever heard in a game, and it is something differnet from typical shooters. Its meeting my expectations so far :)

Around the Network

Mario Kart 8 lived up to it's hype the most out of every game that was hyped this year. Smash Bros. will live up to the hype as well, Hyrule Warriors won't live up to the hype at all. Destiny didn't live up to its hype.. Watch Dogs didn't.. Titanfall came close but not as close as Mario Kart 8. Assassins Creed Unity may not live up to its hype. This year was crazy

bubblegamer said:
spemanig said:
Not if you're a Nintendo fan.

You know this is talking about delivering in the sales department, right?

You know Mario Kart 8 sold great, right? Especially for its 7 million install base and people hating on Wii U.

Yes, the biggest hype was for the wrong games. 2015 is where it's at. Gonna be Christmas all year...

Ultrashroomz said:
Indeed.

Hopefully, Smash Wii U won't suffer from being overhyped, but I highly doubt that'll happen.

Considering it's out already and reviews and reception for it have all been steller, i would say it lived up to its hype.  And hell that is just the 3DS version.

Heck you can find like 10k minimum viewers everynight watching smash twitch streams.  Weekends even more.  And people are playing the shit out of a demo with only 5 characters.  

spurgeonryan said:
Far Cry looks good! Are we hyped for that?

Sort of! I think people are still a little sore at Ubisoft which is capping the hype train's speed.