By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Order: 1886 Dev Defends Bungie's Destiny: "Review Score Under 8 Is Ludicrous, Deserves More Just For Scope And Art"

People need to pay less attention to the arbitrary number that comes after the reviews and pay more attention to the content, that was actually pretty spot on for what i saw.

Also think it is good that the press is giving less convoluted scores to anything that is playable, but that will affect comparisons between older games and new.

Around the Network

Scope + art =/= enjoyable

kupomogli said:
teigaga said:
Fun core gameplay and PVP
Great Art
Lame Story, under developed world
Very Repetetive, lack of content

As someone who hasn't played the game, it sounds like something that could range from 6 to 8. Just because something is solid doesn't mean it deserves more then a 6. If you're using the full range of 0-10, a 6 is good but obviously very lacking quite a lot. Anything approaching 9 is a gem and 10 is a complete masterpiece.

As someone who can enjoy shooters but doesn't buy games just to shoot things (unless its local multiplayer), reviews have put me off the game. I imagine those who rated it a 6 are along a similar mentality.

I think RAD are paying attention to whats going on with review scores and terrified of the Orders potential reception.

Journalists don't use the full review score though.  They almost excuslvely use 6/10 to 10/10 for anything that's playable. 

And how about we just compare Diablo 3's score to the one Destiny got.  Diablo 3 has a terrible story, gameplay that's worse than a lot of Diablo clones because lack of customization, so more repetitive than most in an already repetitive genre.  It's got an 9/10 Metacritic on PS4.  Why when it has the exact same flaws?

I think thats a question of gamepress being inconsistent, not necessarily an argument for Destiny  being too good to score a 6. 

LOL @ the idea that a game deserves higher than a 6 just on "art and scope" alone. Which, by the way, Destiny does not even do on any amazing level or anything. At least scope. You quick travel from area to area. The missions are short and don't span much space. The lore is almost entirely absent from the game, requiring you to go to Bungie's website to read most of it. I agree on the art though, some of it is gorgeous.

But higher than 6 just because of art and scope... ahaaha. Yeah I mean fuck gameplay I guess.

Rafux said:

Fuck the reviews I haven't had so much fun with a game since Hotline Miami

fun? baby that dont matter. whats that score at the end of that article? thats what matters. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

fun? baby that dont matter. whats that score at the end of that article? thats what matters. 

There's something to be said of men made of straw...

Honestly, I have been watching all of this unfold and think it is kind of crazy as well. I do not have a PS4 or XB1, but the game looks pretty decent. I watched Twitch stream of it last night and while I can imagine it being repetitive and slow at times, this game definitely is getting unnecessarily harsh reviews. At worst it should be a 7/10. But 6/10 is just insane. There have been way more crappy games rated higher than that.

I understand it had ridiculous hype and any game would fail to live up to it (although Smash Bros. will lol), but to give a game such horrible reviews especially based on an incomplete play through is insane. I hope Bungie just takes the criticism and complaints and improves it for you all. Eventually I'll be getting my PS4 and this game, but not yet.

Burek said:

That guy on GAF was correct.
If Destiny is barely managing to cling onto 75 meta, given the amount of negativity following The Order throughout the months, it is dangerously approaching Knack territory.

Order is lucky, all the hate will turn to love.  Destiny had the unfortunete need to meet massive expectations and un realistic hype.

Underdog always wins, even if he lost.

Vena said:
bananaking21 said:

There's something to be said of men made of straw...

i have no idea what that means. 

Meh, I'll see once it finally releases on PC(still a little salty about that, tbh). I'm not really liking what I'm hearing so far -- sounds like it shares issues with many an MMO, and I'm already not very fond of that genre.