By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN is biased against Nintendo

@ROL

This is taken from the N64 wiki page

"The election of the cartridge for the Nintendo 64 was a key factor in Nintendo's being unable to retain its dominant position in the gaming market. Most of the cartridge's advantages did not manifest themselves prominently and they were ending up nullified by the cartridge's shortcomings, which turned off customers and developers alike. Especially for the latter, it was costly and difficult to develop for ROM cartridges, as their limited storage capacity constrained the game's content.

Most third-party developers switched to the PlayStation (such as Square and Enix, whose Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest VII were initially pre-planned for the N64), while some who remained released fewer games to the Nintendo 64 (Capcom, with only 3 games; Konami, with 13 N64 games and over 50 to the PlayStation), and new game releases were few and far between while new games were coming out rapidly for the PlayStation. Most of the N64's biggest successes were developed by Nintendo itself or by second-parties of Nintendo, such as Rareware.

Despite the controversies, the N64 still managed to support many popular games, giving it a long life run. Much of this success was credited to Nintendo's strong first-party franchises, such as Mario and Zelda, which had strong name brand appeal yet appeared exclusively on Nintendo platforms. The N64 also secured its share of the mature audience thanks to GoldenEye 007, Nightmare Creatures, Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Resident Evil 2, Shadow Man, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Duke Nukem 64, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, and Quake II.

In 2001, the Nintendo 64 was replaced by the disc-based Nintendo GameCube."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

N54 wiki page?

Using wiki as a credible source displays incredible ineptitude.

Words Of Wisdom said:
N54 wiki page?

Not really, considering most things on Wikipedia are linked, and everything in that post is true. 

Sorry bout the typo, I type a little sloppy.

I'd trust wiki over fanboys from forums anyday.

windbane said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
N54 wiki page?

Not really, considering most things on Wikipedia are linked, and everything in that post is true.

Really.  Wikipedia is not in any way, shape, or form a credible source of information in its own right.

Around the Network

@ROL & WoW

Why don't you show me a link defending your claim?

I said the biggest reason N64 lost to PS1 was Nintendo sticking with the cart.  Please, inform me. 

Here is another if you don't trust wiki

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/28/a-decade-of-nintendo-64/

Source please

Here is another

Where the Nintendo 64 Failed

Delays, Delays, Delays - While it was the plan from the beginning for the Nintendo 64 to arrive well past the PlayStation and Saturn, delays pushed the system's release back even further. The hardware wasn't to blame, however - all indications imply that SGI had the system finished largely on schedule - but rather a lack of software that kept the system off shelves. This caused Nintendo to miss two Christmases - which even the unflappable Yamauchi said was "a big handicap for Nintendo." By the time the N64 had entered the market, it had to immediately drop its price just to keep pace, and it never caught up to Sony in games released.

Controller Experimentation - For all of the new things Nintendo was trying to introduce with its controller, it nevertheless made them quite intimidating. The camera buttons were small, specifically labeled and left room for only two other action buttons on the face of the control - forcing developers to awkwardly use these buttons for other commands when camera movement was unimportant. The three-armed shaped seemed to disregard the fact that people only have two hands, leaving either the d-pad or the analog stick vestigial when developers (who were already starved for buttons) could have used both. It also made the thing look threatening, like a claw.

Cartridge's Last Stand - While Nintendo saw legitimate gameplay concerns regarding the CD-ROM format, the decision to stick with cartridges was based more in business sense - Nintendo didn't own the CD format, and cartridges would give them greater market control while also limiting problems with piracy. The consequences of this decision were disastrous. Cartridges cost nearly triple the price of CDs to make, and publishers balked at the idea of spending that much money - money that, if the game failed, could not be reclaimed. Cartridge memory also maxed out at a tenth of the space of CD, isolating cinema-addicted developers like Square. While some figured out how to work within the constraints (Angel Studio's port of Resident Evil 2 is a nearly perfect conversion from its PlayStation counterpart), most chose instead to throw cursory support behind the risky, limited format, focusing instead on Sony's system.

The 64DD - A critical but often underestimated misstep, the 64DD writable expansion drive may have been just as crippling to the N64's success as the cartridge format. Announced before the Nintendo 64's release in 1995, its early reveal indicates that it was meant to be integral part of the N64 strategy - not a life-extending stopgap, like Sega's 32X. The list of planned software for the add-on further lends credence to the theory - Earthbound 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and the ambitious Miyamoto-helmed Creator project were all in the works for it, and it's even been said that a 64DD Mario & Luigi game was in the cards (Miyamoto admits the project's existence, but has said that he couldn't remember what system it was running on). When the 64DD was all but cancelled, all these games were dissolved completely, or ported to cartridge - making them late to the party, creating a vacuum that Sony was more than happy to fill.

darklich13 said:

@ROL & WoW

Why don't you show me a link defending your claim?

I said the biggest reason N64 lost to PS1 was Nintendo sticking with the cart. Please, inform me.

I haven't made a claim. I simply question the use of Wikipedia as a credible source.

I just ask that you provide other, more credible, sources.  That's all.

Your source is yourself??  Please

Why are you more credible than wiki and 1up?? Come back up your claim and don't quote yourself.