By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN is biased against Nintendo

I love how you quote a Wii site :P

I guess we have a difference in opinion. You say it was how Sony handled the market. I would say that it was Nintendo unwillingness to use new technology.
Agree to disagree I guess.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
I love how you quote a Wii site :P

This information is neither for nor against the Wii so Wii-bias is meaningless here.

Nintendo bias is also meaningless as discussing whatever restrictive policies Nintendo had reflects poorly on Nintendo which makes this website, in fact, more credible.

I'm not sure what it being a Wii site has to do with this discussion at all.  Would you care to elaborate?

@Wow

Hay I was just poking fun. Note my :P

@ROL

Unlike you I could provide a link to a source that covers both, CDs vs. cartridges and the change of business model. I could back up my claim while you couldn't back up your claim.

I backup my claim on multiple sites.  Just because I could not find a site that covered CD vs cartridges and the

change of buisness model does not meen I failed. 

I could find more sites that state the reasons why the N64 lost to the Playstation as being the choice to stay with the cart, but I don't think that going to solve anything.

I do think that the way Sony handled the market was a factor, but not the greatest factor.  Do you really think that if Nintendo had gone with CD, that the Playstation would have been as succussful as it was?  I don't think it would have been.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

This isn't any indication that IGN is bias to the Nintendo Wii.

Half of those games are shovelware and not important. If it's a Triple-AAA game and IGN gives it a sub-par review or score, then I will completely understand. Other than that this thread fails hard XD

darklich13 said:

Cartridge's Last Stand - While Nintendo saw legitimate gameplay concerns regarding the CD-ROM format, the decision to stick with cartridges was based more in business sense - Nintendo didn't own the CD format, and cartridges would give them greater market control while also limiting problems with piracy. The consequences of this decision were disastrous. Cartridges cost nearly triple the price of CDs to make, and publishers balked at the idea of spending that much money - money that, if the game failed, could not be reclaimed. Cartridge memory also maxed out at a tenth of the space of CD, isolating cinema-addicted developers like Square. While some figured out how to work within the constraints (Angel Studio's port of Resident Evil 2 is a nearly perfect conversion from its PlayStation counterpart), most chose instead to throw cursory support behind the risky, limited format, focusing instead on Sony's system.

Talk about historical revisionism! This is exactly the opposite of the situation that was actually taking place in 1993-94 when these consoles were under development. As everyone should know, the Playstation was far from the first console to use a CD-based format. Every previous system to use disc-based technology was a dismal failure. Sega CD, the 3DO, the CD-i, and so on. Before the successful introduction of the Playstation, it was CDs that were the risky, limited format. Cartridges were seen as the safe choice - exactly the opposite of what this article claims! Now that doesn't change the fact that Nintendo made a huge mistake in sticking with them, but this was by no means a slam-dunk decision at the time. Don't forget that Sega's 32X came out less than a year before the N64, and it used a cartridge format as well. This article is simply very poorly researched.

I don't know why I'm bothering to enter a debate that's over a decade old now... It just irritates me how so many people who weren't around back then make erroneous claims. I'm not talking about you specifically, darklich13, just Internet users in general.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)