By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN is biased against Nintendo

Hawk said:
darklich13 said:
Hawk said:

Oh, and wait. I'd consider a score of 3.9 and below shovelware myself, wouldn't you?

PS1: 95 games scored 3.9 or below
PS2: 89 games scored 3.9 or below
Wii: 34 games scored 3.9 or below (excluding VC games)

Yep, 34 games below 3.9 in less than a year in a half. Thats quite a bit.

360 is at 10

Ps3 is at 7

DS is at 59

I'm talking about the leading consoles in history here.  And more specifically, the shift in 3rd party support.  So, PS1 being the last shift in major 3rd party support.

I did a bit more research. And the amount of games under 3.9 on each system in the first 15 months is:

PS1: 19 games
PS2: 9 games
Wii: 34 games

Which you are right. A lot of shovelware on Wii. But. Lets add on number of consoles sold in the first 15 months. And number of shovelware games made per million in that time.

PS1: 2 million units. 8.5 shovelware games/mill in the first 15 months
PS2: 10 million units. .9 shovelware games/mill in the first 15 months
Wii: 21 million units. 1.6 shovelware games/mill in the first 15 months

Damn. Looks like the PS1 should've never gone anywhere huh? Shovelware is so damaging to a system. Or, in seriousness, shovelware is a result of success and the shift of 3rd party support.

Okay, first of all, we're in a new generation now, games are selling more and more so the increase is somewhat expected in that sense.  Also, your comparing a veteran company like Nintendo to the then fledgling PS brand, the circumastances are a little different.  That comparison is crap, the number of units you sell shouldn't allow you to make crap at a record setting pace.  The difference in sales is no excuse for shit games.  People are trying to make a quick buck off Ninty at a ridiculous pace.  Only the first comparison using the time frame is a good one for that shows the amount of crap the Wii has on it at this point in it's life.  I shudder to think about the amount of shovelware on this system if it keeps up like this. 

Around the Network

I retract my statement...

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

"If you believe that FFVII was the reason why the PS1 succeded, do you also think that FFXIII is going to turn around the fortunes this generation?"

No way. It a totally different set of circumstances.

I really think that Nintendo droped the ball with the N64. It should of been a CD based system. But thanks to the their venture with the CD-I, Nintendo had cold feet with the CD technology and stuck with cartridge. Square created the tech-demo on some SGI machines gearing it toward the N64. What they found out was that they could not do what they wanted with the N64 because of it's cartridge size constrants. Could you imagine if the entire Square library from PS1 was on the N64. I'm sorry, but that would have been huge.

The same could be said toward other developers. Producing a cartridge game costs more and limited what you could do.

You said "It didn't matter that the majority of the games were bad as long as there were enough good games. The same was true for the PS2 and the same will be true for the Wii. A console is only in trouble when there aren't enough good games."

Well, the PS1 and the PS2 had excellent 3rd party support. The Wii does not. All you have to do is just look at the scores. Will the Wii get better 3rd party support? Mabey, but as of right now there aren't any 3rd party games that look up to that task. I would say the Wii might be in trouble if the market is flooded with shit games. Beyond the always good Nintendo games, does a casual gamer know which game is good and which game is bad.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

darklich13 said:

Yep, 34 games below 3.9 in less than a year in a half.  Thats quite a bit.

360 is at 10

Ps3 is at 7

DS is at 59 

I think you essentially disproved your own argument here. According to this ranking system, the DS has far more shovelware than the 360 or PS3. Yet in terms of sales... well, do I even need to say anything? The DS is the best-selling video game platform of all time, console or handheld. Clearly the presence of shovelware did nothing to hurt it; almost certainly the opposite, to be honest.

And without jumping into a (very) old argument, Rol is correct on the 5th generation console war. Sony's opening up of their platform to unlimited third party development is the primary reason why they were successful. I believe that this has been Sony's greatest innovation in the gaming industry, much more so than any games they've developed.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

@Sullla

"The DS is the best-selling video game platform of all time, console or handheld."

DS sales = 67.54 million
PS2 sales = 117.89 million
PS1 sales = 102.49 million

Quite a ways to go

Around the Network

just because IGN rated a lot of wii games under 3.9 or whatever don't mean that it's biased against it. Let's say the Wii had 500 games over a 9.5 rating on IGN but also had 500 games rated 1.9 or under. All that means is that a lot of shovelware was made - not necessarily meaning that IGN is biased

darklich13 said:

@Sullla

"The DS is the best-selling video game platform of all time, console or handheld."

DS sales = 67.54 million
PS2 sales = 117.89 million
PS1 sales = 102.49 million

Quite a ways to go

He meant at this point in its lifespan, clearly. The DS is handily outselling every other system ever at this point.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=DS&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=PS&reg3=All&weeks=206

It's pulling farther and farther away from the PS2.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Just quoting what he typed.

azrm2k said:

GR IGN on Wii
Site's Avg Ratio For Wii: 59.3%
GR Avg Ratio for Wii titles this site has reviewed: 59.8%
Difference: -0.5%

Bad toke jopic.

Besides we all know the site to claim Wii bias is 1up

Site's Avg Ratio For Wii: 60.3%
GR Avg Ratio for Wii titles this site has reviewed: 68.0%
Difference: -7.7%

You'll find similar results for the other systems. There will always be review websites that give high scores to raise the average and get exclusive reviews. Just accept that there aren't as many good Wii games and stop attacking review sites.

maybe those games are just bad,