By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - "There are 711 million PC gamers in the world today" says Intel

Aura7541 said:
Hmmmm..... I wonder how how many of the 711 million are core gamers...

"Even more impressive is that over 250 million of those gamers play what are defined as “core games;”  sophisticated strategy, action and role-playing games that have been the heart of the video game business for many years."

https://opengamingalliance.org/press/details/pc-gaming-alliance-releases-two-member-exclusive-reports

I suspect that number is a bit inflated tho.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
COX said:

Really ? It's more than the number of computers sold in 2013 and 2012.

2013 = 316 millions

2012 = 352.7 millions

2011 = 352.8 millions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share_of_personal_computer_vendors

People don't buy whole new PCs every year. And that is prebuilt shipments only, a lot of PC gamers build thier own.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
COX said:

Really ? It's more than the number of computers sold in 2013 and 2012.

2013 = 316 millions

2012 = 352.7 millions

2011 = 352.8 millions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share_of_personal_computer_vendors

People don't buy whole new PCs every year. And that is prebuilt shipments only, a lot of PC gamers build thier own.

And how many gamers keep their old "gamer" pc when they buy a new one ? It's like to take the numbers of the nes + Snes + N64 + WII + GC + Ps1 + Ps2 + Ps3 etc.  How many of these 700 millions PC can run properly a game today ?

COX said:

And how many gamers keep their old "gamer" pc when they buy a new one ? It's like to take the numbers of the nes + Snes + N64 + WII + GC + Ps1 + Ps2 + Ps3 etc.  How many of these 700 millions PC can run properly a game today ?

All them can play games today. You could drag out a 15 year old PC and play games on it. And you really don't seem to understand how the PC market works. I for example have neve brought a new PC.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
COX said:

All them can play games today. You could drag out a 15 year old PC and play games on it. And you really don't seem to understand how the PC market works. I for example have neve brought a new PC.

Can you play a game launched in 2013 with a 15 year old PC ? What is the point of this number ? It doesn't show anything about the real situation of the PC gaming industry today.  

Around the Network

I'm one. I haven;'t bought a physical game for years.

Also, the MS app store has games for free. So duh...

CONSOLES RULE!

*cough* - usual load of rubbish from intel based on nothing but a guess.

Whats a gamer anyway.....someone who plays minesweeper (i.e. on every windows pc) or someone who builds a custom water-cooled top spec gaming machine?

COX said:
zarx said:
COX said:

Can you play a game launched in 2013 with a 15 year old PC ? What is the point of this number ? It doesn't show anything about the real situation of the PC gaming industry today.  

Sure lots of them. And the number in the OP is players. You are bringing in an irrelevent number of yearly prebuilt PC shipments.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Nettles said:

They're wrong.
A better calculation would be # of registered steam users.

Recent numbers of that are around 80 million.

Steam doesn't cover the whole market, not by a long shot. LoL is not on Steam, just as an example.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

HoloDust said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Since when does Intel give a damn about gaming, do they make GPUs now? Not talking integrated crap...

Their integrated crap actually got lot better in last few years, so who knows...

I find this  a good read:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

But is it enough to Game!

I'm always held back by that "GPU" of theirs. With their 3rd gen integrated graphics I can play most of last gen, TR at 20-30, and WatchDogs at like 5-10 fps. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank