By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

the2real4mafol said:
wow that is kinda sad

Is to me.  I consider the 3DS and Vita to be far superior to the DS and PSP and yet their sales will come nowhere near those systems.  Not sure what Nintendo's next move is in this environment.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I kinda think of the Fusion a seperate thing, I think that's more of the 3DS + Wii U successor all in one. 

How about a lower end "budget tablet" in addition to the above:

$139.99 MSRP

5.8-inch 1280x720 LCD (no 3D) single screen multitouch. 

3DS chipset + an extra Snapdragon 800 mobile chip lets say (should be dirt cheap by now) with 512MB of RAM. 

Perhaps "removable" controller wings so you can position the screen horizontally or vertically (DS/3DS legacy mode). 

NES, Super NES, N64, Game Boy/GBA, DS, 3DS back catalog games ($0.99-$19.99). 

NFC chip built in for Amiibo support. 

Runs customized Android OS (like Kindle Fire), has access to Android apps, but only Nintendo approved ones through Nintendo store. Nintendo charges a small "Nintendo tax" on game apps (so they get a cut of the action). So Angry Birds would be $1.50 instead of $0.99 with Nintendo getting a 50 cent cut per download. 

I think this would clean up in the budget tablet marketspace, but I don't think Nintendo is too vehemently against the devaluing of software prices from the $39.99-$59.99 norm to go this route. 

Do you think the next platform will have a 3D screen? Many people were expecting Nintendo to cut it, but now we know that the New 3DS will have an improved 3D screen.

I wonder if the Wii U would be in a much better position if it could play 3DS games in HD from launch... Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokémon X/Y, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Kirby: Triple Deluxe would sell well and diversify the Wii U library.

This wasn't an issue in the 7th generation because the platforms were very different, as the Wii focused in motion controls, while the DS focused in touch controls. Now the New 3DS is basically a Wii U (same buttons, two analog sticks, touch screen, NFC reader, gyroscope), but with much less power and it doesn't share the same library.

Vena said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah I just threw the Snapdragon in there because it seems to be the standard smartphone/tablet GPU of this era. 

The pro of it though is that Nintendo could probably get such a component at a very low cost, combined with the 3DS chip which is probably quite cheap it would help keep costs low. I think that's going to be one of the big take aways for Nintendo this gen ... using heavily customized components and chipsets is really not a great idea because they don't scale in price well (they don't have much flexibility in the Wii U price it seems either). 

Plus having these kids snap up a budget tablet could also be a large boon to amiibo toy sales. 

I think such a product would be a far better idea than "New 3DS" alone. But I think Nintendo is still to scared by the mobile app industry to do this. It would be interesting for sure though. 

The key to any tablet entry is to NOT go head to head with Apple. A tablet in the price range of $139-$169 would be way cheaper than Apple's lowest priced iPad mini. I think they can compete against the lower price tablets, as a game vendor they also have one huge advantage too -- they can sell their hardware without a big profit margin because they can make money on software + amiibo toys. 

Watching this most recent treehouse is what Nintendo needs to do more of... Anyway.

The 3DS isn't custom, its just underclocked. Its a standard ARM11 MPCore. The WiiU is but, as is becoming rather apparent, I don't see PowerPC lasting unless IBM strikes a great deal with Nintendo or something. They'll likely keep the WiiU chip around in their next console to guarantee the reverse compatability and, by then, the chip production for it will be dirt cheap.

I just don't know how easily they'd gain mind share in the market, kids or otherwise, since the phone/tablet market is more saturated than a sponge in the pacific. And, yes, it would be better than a lone n3DS but its just not the time to introduce it right now. The n3DS is just to hold over the market for a year or two, it would make more sense to launch anything and everything new as one whole big "idea" for the consomer base to know about.

Never said to compete with Apple, just saying that the market is flooded.

I think for the Fusion they may be waiting until well into 2016 because the chip tech that they want probably is a bit too expensive for the immediate future. 

They probably want a 20nm mobile chip that can approximate Wii U graphics (or gulp ... more?). I can then see them taking that chip, putting 2-3 of them together in a small box, and voila, there's your console variant that can run the same games at 1080P for TV play. 

A budget tablet in the meantime might not be a bad idea but it could also muddy the market too with too much product. Then again, you can say the New 3DS is doing just that, so why not?

Ugraded ARM CPU + 3DS GPU (cheap) + Snapdragon 800 (or other suitable dated/cheap smartphone GPU) + 512MB of RAM wouldn't be bad though. 

It should be able to emulate all Nintendo platforms prior to the GameCube easily and have access to hundreds of DS/3DS games, and even allow for GCN/Wii ports (not without effort though). 

The angle I would play up is I'd ship the tablet with a "Nintendo Learn" educational suite of software for kids/adults. That way you can kinda really make it hard for parents to say no to it (lol). Maybe even also start with a free amiibo toy included (get the kids hooked on it) too. 

Dunban67 said:
Seece said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Makes sense considering the n3ds announcement... I expect it to get a bump during Smash Bros but not to sell as high as it could have been

Not the reason, that was announced late August when this sales period was closing.

The New 3DS announcement could not have come at a stranger time IMO-  they are about to release a potential 3DS system seller with Smaah Bros and are getting close to the holiday sales season but they announce a new version that will surely cause many potential 3DS purchasers to hesitate or put off all together getting a 3DS until the "New 3DS" is available at an unspecified time in the future.....

.....unless they think they have pretty well tapped the existing market and now need to sell multiple 3DS s to its existing ownership base 

this is EXACTLY what they think

Scharfek said:
Soundwave said:

I kinda think of the Fusion a seperate thing, I think that's more of the 3DS + Wii U successor all in one. 

How about a lower end "budget tablet" in addition to the above:

$139.99 MSRP

5.8-inch 1280x720 LCD (no 3D) single screen multitouch. 

3DS chipset + an extra Snapdragon 800 mobile chip lets say (should be dirt cheap by now) with 512MB of RAM. 

Perhaps "removable" controller wings so you can position the screen horizontally or vertically (DS/3DS legacy mode). 

NES, Super NES, N64, Game Boy/GBA, DS, 3DS back catalog games ($0.99-$19.99). 

NFC chip built in for Amiibo support. 

Runs customized Android OS (like Kindle Fire), has access to Android apps, but only Nintendo approved ones through Nintendo store. Nintendo charges a small "Nintendo tax" on game apps (so they get a cut of the action). So Angry Birds would be $1.50 instead of $0.99 with Nintendo getting a 50 cent cut per download. 

I think this would clean up in the budget tablet marketspace, but I don't think Nintendo is too vehemently against the devaluing of software prices from the $39.99-$59.99 norm to go this route. 

Do you think the next platform will have a 3D screen? Many people were expecting Nintendo to cut it, but now we know that the New 3DS will have an improved 3D screen.

I wonder if the Wii U would be in a much better position if it could play 3DS games in HD from launch... Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokémon X/Y, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Kirby: Triple Deluxe would sell well and diversify the Wii U library.

This wasn't an issue in the 7th generation because the platforms were very different, as the Wii focused in motion controls, while the DS focused in touch controls. Now the New 3DS is basically a Wii U (same buttons, two analog sticks, touch screen, NFC reader, gyroscope), but with much less power and it doesn't share the same library.

I think 3D screen and even the entire "dual screen" approach will be gone for the next Nintendo portable. Those features just add to cost and suck battery life, Nintendo can use the savings there to opt for a better CPU/GPU, more RAM, and better battery life next time out. 

Around the Network

New 3DS is such a stupid idea. Should have just gone ahead and made a brand new handheld because of how stagnant the 3DS is.. I highly doubt people are going to replace their current 3DS for a slightly more powerful model and a niche RPG.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
New 3DS is such a stupid idea. Should have just gone ahead and made a brand new handheld because of how stagnant the 3DS is.. I highly doubt people are going to replace their current 3DS for a slightly more powerful model and a niche RPG.

It's mostly for Japan I think (second analog for Monster Hunter + Dragon Quest X), trying to squeeze a million or two extra sales out of that market. 

But yeah, I think a budget Nintendo tablet probably would've been a better idea. 

Soundwave said:
Fusioncode said:

It's mostly for Japan I think (second analog for Monster Hunter + Dragon Quest X), trying to squeeze a million or two extra sales out of that market. 

But yeah, I think a budget Nintendo tablet probably would've been a better idea. 

But both of those are going to be on the current 3DS. And doesn't that already have the circle pad pro compatible with those games?  

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Soundwave said:
Fusioncode said:

But both of those are going to be on the current 3DS. And doesn't that already have the circle pad pro compatible with those games?  

New 3DS is basically just the DSi/DSi XL of the 3DS line, it's the last revision, especially for Japan since it didn't get 2DS. 

The N3DS is just gonna make the low sales worse now. Bad timing.