By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

this is just the reality of today's market. 3DS will have bigger market share than the DS, while at the same time selling somewhere around half of what DS did.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
oniyide said:
hated_individual said:
Dunban67 said:
oniyide said:
Dunban67 said:
Seece said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Makes sense considering the n3ds announcement... I expect it to get a bump during Smash Bros but not to sell as high as it could have been

Not the reason, that was announced late August when this sales period was closing.

The New 3DS announcement could not have come at a stranger time IMO-  they are about to release a potential 3DS system seller with Smaah Bros and are getting close to the holiday sales season but they announce a new version that will surely cause many potential 3DS purchasers to hesitate or put off all together getting a 3DS until the "New 3DS" is available at an unspecified time in the future.....

.....unless they think they have pretty well tapped the existing market and now need to sell multiple 3DS s to its existing ownership base 

this is EXACTLY what they think

Either you are correct (I think you are) or they made a big mistake in the timing of the announcement which I don t see them doing 

DSi...

So...the same thing

No... Better... DSi didnt had BC while N3DS has... CPU seems to be 150-200% faster than OG3DS because likelyness of where R&D not having 1Gbps is very unlikely. You can clearly see in promo video of N3DS at download part, when N3DS finishes the OG3DS is only at a third more less.

BOLLOCKS said:
PSP, teh king of non Nintendo handhelds.

I think that's something everyone can agree with....... unless you're a Game Gear hipster of course!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Good thing Smash is about to hit.

PSP sold well, but not so well in America. 20 mil lifetime in NA would be pretty bad for 3DS.

All that really tells us is how little the US market counts when it comes to handhelds. Globally, I'm pretty sure GBA sold the least out of all of those, but apparently it sold best in the US. Go figure.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Jranation said:
Why are you comparing it with psp?

You can compare it with any handheld (see chart in OP) it's just waaaaay behind the GBA, GBC, and DS, so not much point in comparing to those. It's about to fall behind the PSP, so that's more relevant. 

Oh ok.

But I wouldn't compare it, since theres too much stuff to take consideration of.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Vena said:

DélioPT said:

As far as i know, tablets don`t really have GBs and GBs of space to handle several games. Consoles can handle it because you can get the games in a store or have a external disk next to your console.

Nintendo are compression masters. Their mainline games run in the single digits for GBs. Build the tablet with a MicroSD slot, and you're golden for space issues (most developers don't bother compressing their games well if at all... Naughty Dog... >.>). In fact, it'd be a good marketting tool too because so many manufacturers cut out the MicroSD slot to force use of tools like Cloud or simply to incentivize people buying the next "bigger thing" once they start running out of room.

It's a dirt cheap little piece of technology too...

Most Nintendo games are small (not W101, that`s for sure) but next generation i don`t think all Nintendo games will be that small in size.

Still, the focus of the tablet would be old games so it doesn`t compete with the new consoles.

Soundwave said:

I specced a few concept ideas for what the design could be too, not sure which I'd go with. 

3.) Removable "Controller Wings"

Not exactly like what's pictured above, but perhaps the main part of the system is just the screen and you can remove the controller parts on the side and play vertically or horiztonally (DS/3DS) mode. 

I think this is the best idea for those who want to play those old games but are used to console controllers.
Something that you can add or take away would be the best idea to attract all kinds of people.

About the specs in the other post, could that tablet still works as well as any iPad or any other tablet?

And you can push it to 300$ if it is like any other tablet.
It needs to show itself as a viable alternative for those willing to pass away Apple and other manufacturers.
Also, a capacitive screen would be a must.

Would that still be around 300$?

Augen said:
the2real4mafol said:
wow that is kinda sad

Is to me.  I consider the 3DS and Vita to be far superior to the DS and PSP and yet their sales will come nowhere near those systems.  Not sure what Nintendo's next move is in this environment.

I remember people calling the PSP a flop. So for 3DS to be selling less is crazy despite it doing over 45 million already. I like handheld gaming but the lack of support these days is depressing. Says it all when top developers like 2K would rather port Bioshock to an inferior system like iOS. 

I hope Nintendo at least can adapt. Traditional handhelds have to survive somehow. To me the option of using buttons to play games makes all the difference. Touch screen only is a shitty alternative, you can't have one without the other. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Augen said:
the2real4mafol said:
wow that is kinda sad

Is to me.  I consider the 3DS and Vita to be far superior to the DS and PSP and yet their sales will come nowhere near those systems.  Not sure what Nintendo's next move is in this environment.

I remember people calling the PSP a flop. So for 3DS to be selling less is crazy despite it doing over 45 million already. I like handheld gaming but the lack of support these days is depressing. Says it all when top developers like 2K would rather port Bioshock to an inferior system like iOS. 

I hope Nintendo at least can adapt. Traditional handhelds have to survive somehow. To me the option of using buttons to play games makes all the difference. Touch screen only is a shitty alternative, you can't have one without the other. 

Companies are gonna go to whatever is hot. At some point, phone game sales will level off. Because it will be common. And companies will spread their stuff more evenly with phone and consoles/handhelds again. They just want to capitlize on the flow of cash that's now. They can ruin their image in the process. Like how music games went down the drain, because of all the milking and junk. It's happend with comics. Everyone was craming to get all their stuff on comixolgy like crazy. Then sales stopped increasing. And print comics went back up.