By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August 2014 NPD Thread! PS4 - 190k, XBO - 160k, Wii U < 60k, PSV < 6k

KLAMarine said:
thismeintiel said:
KLAMarine said:
I don't understand why people focus so much on sales numbers when profitability matters more.

Cause this is a...sales site?  Just maybe?  And it just so happens that the one selling the most currently is also profiting the most from video game sales. 

Sorry, it's just that people see a number and immediately spell doom.

Oh, I agree with you there.  But, it's the way of the world, I suppose. 

Around the Network
vivster said:
KLAMarine said:
I don't understand why people focus so much on sales numbers when profitability matters more.

Do you have hard data on profitablility?

You can't jerk off to stuff if you haven't something hard.

No.

And I don't.

I am going to be real here ...

The PS4 isn't exactly what I envisioned it's performance to be since it's falling below expectations of how a market leader should be performing.

Sub 250K in North America for some months isn't "ideal" for a leading console. Perhaps just accomplishing the right moves isn't enough to muster up to the standards.

Sony is going to need to do something about this ...

Someone please puts Aquamarine on the title.She delivered,she deserves!

Seeing how well the PS4 Destiny bundle is doing makes me really excited for September NPD. It's still in stock and showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Around the Network

IIRC Wii U sold 82.5 in July, + 59.7

That is 142.2 in the USA for July and August
And according to media create they sold 95.228 in those 2 months

that is 237428 in the USA and Japan for July and August
Europe and rest of the world is a mystery.

And they have one month more of sales before the quarter is over. In the last quarter they shipped 510.000 Wii Us if I recall correctly. 6.68 millions in total

I do think they have passed the 7 millions mark.

fatslob-:O said:

The PS4 isn't exactly what I envisioned it's performance to be since it's falling below expectations of how a market leader should be performing.

Sub 250K in North America for some months isn't "ideal" for a leading console. Perhaps just accomplishing the right moves isn't enough to muster up to the standards.

More garbage..no, the sales are lower because they were able to sell million more at launch...if ps3 and 360 sold millions more because of more supply and satisfied hardcxore demand faster, there sales would also be lower faster especially during summer.....this argument makes zero sense.

Supply and demand how does it work?

Ps4 sales will go up big now....It is also just 1 month with NO releases........cherry picking months means nothing, overall sales do.

Soundwave said:
CGI-Quality said:

Again, I need you to provide me the ireffutable info that says the PS2 hit 10 million by Aug 17, 2001, or you're just wasting everyone's time.

LOL, stick to that belief if you want, but if you actually look at the factors behind the launches, PS2 is pulling ahead in North America beating the PS4 soundly for several months in a row and absolutely trouncing its Japanese numbers. 

The PS4 is just hiding behind the fact that it had a less staggered launch, so its total to date looks more impressive than it actually is. It's definitely not selling like the PS2, it's horrible in Japan and faltering in North America. 

190k for a first August for a market leader is nothing to write home about, it's quite weak. 

I'm pretty sure if I dig around I can find more specific numbers but PS2 was at 30 million+ by May 2002:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/14/technology/14GAME.html

So I'd say it's safe to say they were at 10+ million by August 2001. 

So much blatenly wrongness.  The PS2 is not pulling ahead of the PS4.  You are violently wrong lol

http://www.gamepur.com/news/13730-ps4-sales-outpacing-ps1-ps2-and-ps3-massive-margin-full-breakdown-revealed.html

PS2 took 13 months to reach 9 milion

PS4 took 9 months.  

It took an additional 6 months (19 months total in Sept 30, 2001) to for the PS2 to reach 20 million. From there it took an addition 8 months to get to 30 million (27 months total in May 2002).

There is no way you can extrapolate that far in the future and say the PS2 is pulling ahead.  You only know that the PS4 is trending ahead at this point. 

Lets at least try to be right.  

KLAMarine said:

Profits matter more to the brand owner, but as long as it's still considered a worthwhile venture by said owner, fans of a specific brand tend to benefit more from better sales. More sales = more organic support and cheaper deals (and likewise more expensive deals for your competition).

Even the Wii, which in many respects had bad 3rd party support, received a huge influx of quality 3rd party exclusive during its peak years.

Also, perhaps above all else, people find it more fun to brag about sales than money

fatslob-:O said:

Before you start talking like that, maybe you should wait and see how Sept-Dec plays out.  These past few months have had the Destiny bundle siphoning off sales and PS4 may have a great holiday.  I also agree with one poster in here, the fact that Sony and MS (MS partly due to low demand) were able to produce consoles more quickly allowed for them to keep up with demand much better than with their previous launches, which made for much larger launch numbers.  Numbers for other consoles that would have been shifted to the spring/summer months when they could have finally had enough units on shelves.  So, their launch numbers would have been lower than the PS4/XBO, but their spring/summer months higher.  Overall, the PS4 will be fine.  If sales do drop low enough, Sony will just hack $50-$100 off the price and sales will greatly jump, again.