By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Madword said:

Not if there is an existing contract already in place. You cannot just buy a company and then ignore anything they've signed.

With the help of legal reps and sufficient GP, any dungeon can be traversed. It really depends on how desperately any particular company wants to not only own Mojang, but also explain to all its licencees why things are probably going to change because they suddenly have a new Daddy.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
poklane said:
yvanjean said:

Minecraft on PS4 need some serious updates to really stabilize the game. Microsoft could stop all future DLC and updates from PS4, this would make the Xbox one the ultimate edition. You know what Microsoft would do, simply put Minecraft on games with gold.... and every future bundle will be package with Minecraft as a free Digital game. Minecraft would be use to push the XBox one Brand.

I think you're completely forgetting the PC version.

PC version and support would remain the same... only the Sony version of the game would not be supported. Every new games with the Minecraft IP, would be multi-platform.... IOS and android, PC & Xbox One.

Yeah that's pretty much what I think will happen. It's not like Minecraft was technically on every platform anyway ... it's not on the best selling game (traditional) platform of this gen anyway in the 3DS and it wasn't on Wii or Wii U either. 

My guess is XB1/360/Windows Phone will get future Minecraft titles first and then PC/iOS/Android will come later. That's techincally "multiplatform". 

poklane said:
Soundwave said:
poklane said:

Laughed again

You really think MS won't release a Minecraft 2/3/4? There will be some kind of sequelization (out the ying yang) either that way or in the form of things like Halo Minecraft, Batman Minecraft, Marvel Minecraft, Star Wars Minecraft (like the LEGO games). 

Please tell me, how can you make a sequel to Minecraft worth the purchase? And games like Halo Minecraft would have an awfully small userbase.

Scary thought for current Minecrafters, but maybe MS doesn't provide free updates on content like Mojang does and instead makes it purchasable DLC and/or waits until they bulk up enough new content and launch it as a whole new game.

I am sure current fans wouldn't be pleased, but they will likely will have a few buyers. Not the current 55m+ of course.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

DerNebel said:
Complete WSJ article by the way

http://i.imgur.com/dYSiNTF.jpg

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101975715

see this is where it becomes idiocy

Like I said previously, buying Mojang to get the Minecraft IP is literally to stupid for Microsoft's Lawyers to make that mistake.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Euphoria14 said:
poklane said:

Please tell me, how can you make a sequel to Minecraft worth the purchase? And games like Halo Minecraft would have an awfully small userbase.

Scary thought for current Minecrafters, but maybe MS doesn't provide free updates on content like Mojang does and instead makes it purchasable DLC and/or waits until they bulk up enough new content and launch it as a whole new game.

I am sure current fans wouldn't be pleased, but they will likely will have a few buyers. Not the current 55m+ of course.

And that was what I also was thinking: you'd piss a lot of people off.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Nem said:
I remember the founder saying how the occulus sellout to facebook creep him out. Ah... money. How it twists people.

Yeah I'm guessing it's a different story when there's a $2 billion cheque sitting on the table in front of you with your name on it. 

I'd sign it and not lose even one second of sleep over it. Even if the arguement is that you're not "indepedant" ... $2 billion means you can go and create a new company that is far more indepedant than ever before, lol, because you have the bankroll to be as indie as you want. 

Minecraft isn't worth 2 billion, but if I were in his situation, I would take the deal. Heck he probably isn't going back to game development, and since Minecraft is on the way down it doesn't surprise me that he would sell. If Microsoft cashed in to make money off of merchandising and licsencing (which they likely did, Mohjang isn't releasing another game) then they will never recoup the money. That isn't the founder's problem though .

Minecraft is the most popular indie-like game out there you'd have to say.

But even then I wouldn't expect the game to sell Xbox One's anymore than other indie exclusives sell Xbox Ones and PS4's (i.e. virtually not at all).

If Microsoft is really doing this I'd say it has more to do with their mobile/integrated platform strategy - that or something else Mojang are working on we don't know about.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, they could kill Minecraft, on the other, they could help Mojang create great games, which could end up being good for the XOne. :/

starcraft said:

But even then I wouldn't expect the game to sell Xbox One's anymore than other indie exclusives sell Xbox Ones and PS4's (i.e. virtually not at all).

If Microsoft is really doing this I'd say it has more to do with their mobile/integrated platform strategy - that or something else Mojang are working on we don't know about.

I think if MS purchases Mojang their best bet would be to leave things as they are, support all their currently released versions and focus on expanding the brand outside of videogames.

Not wise to begin fucking around with the current consumer base.

I was telling my family the other day how a Minecraft/Lego collaboration would be incredible. Minecraft, LEGO texture pack.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

starcraft said:

I highly doubt they are working on anything else. I bet Microsoft wants them so they can make money off of liscencing and merchandice.