By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
They really need to get their shit straight.
Are they "rumored" to be buying Mojang or Minecraft.
The latter makes more sense then the former...

They are rumored to be buying Mojang "according to a person with knowledge of the matter"

Around the Network
poklane said:
Bloomberg reporter Dina Bass: ''Microsoft is indeed in serious talks to buy Minecraft maker. Source tells us Minecraft would remain cross-platform if deal is done.''

If said deal goes through I think "crossplatform" likely means Minecraft 2 for X1/360/Windows Phone first, iOS/Android later, PS3/4/Vita/Nintendo never. 

Soundwave said:
poklane said:
Bloomberg reporter Dina Bass: ''Microsoft is indeed in serious talks to buy Minecraft maker. Source tells us Minecraft would remain cross-platform if deal is done.''

If said deal goes through I think "crossplatform" likely means Minecraft 2 for X1/360/Windows Phone first, iOS/Android later, PS3/4/Vita/Wii U/3DS never. 

Laughed again

poklane said:
Soundwave said:
poklane said:

If said deal goes through I think "crossplatform" likely means Minecraft 2 for X1/360/Windows Phone first, iOS/Android later, PS3/4/Vita/Wii U/3DS never. 

Laughed again

You really think MS won't release a Minecraft 2/3/4? There will be some kind of sequelization (out the ying yang) either that way or in the form of things like Halo Minecraft, Batman Minecraft, Marvel Minecraft, Star Wars Minecraft (like the LEGO games). And MS will be able to do with those games as they wish. 

Soundwave said:
poklane said:

Laughed again

You really think MS won't release a Minecraft 2/3/4? There will be some kind of sequelization (out the ying yang) either that way or in the form of things like Halo Minecraft, Batman Minecraft, Marvel Minecraft, Star Wars Minecraft (like the LEGO games). 

Please tell me, how can you make a sequel to Minecraft worth the purchase? And games like Halo Minecraft would have an awfully small userbase.

Around the Network

Complete WSJ article by the way

http://i.imgur.com/dYSiNTF.jpg

Soundwave said:

The vast majority of the Minecraft fanbase isn't on Sony platforms. Doubt anyone but Sony fanboys will get pissy, and if they're pissy that probably means MS is doing something right. 

It is never "right" to purchase something and then fuck around with the current consumer base. Especially if it cost you $2b to obtain. 

You think those people will just go "okay, no problem". Not everyone is a fanboy. This is just the silly belief on gaming forums.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

poklane said:
yvanjean said:

Minecraft on PS4 need some serious updates to really stabilize the game. Microsoft could stop all future DLC and updates from PS4, this would make the Xbox one the ultimate edition. You know what Microsoft would do, simply put Minecraft on games with gold.... and every future bundle will be package with Minecraft as a free Digital game. Minecraft would be use to push the XBox one Brand.

I think you're completely forgetting the PC version.

PC version and support would remain the same... only the Sony version of the game would not be supported. Every new games with the Minecraft IP, would be multi-platform.... IOS and android, PC & Xbox One.

The decline of Minecraft begins......

poklane said:
Soundwave said:
poklane said:

Laughed again

You really think MS won't release a Minecraft 2/3/4? There will be some kind of sequelization (out the ying yang) either that way or in the form of things like Halo Minecraft, Batman Minecraft, Marvel Minecraft, Star Wars Minecraft (like the LEGO games). 

Please tell me, how can you make a sequel to Minecraft worth the purchase? And games like Halo Minecraft would have an awfully small userbase.

There's a Minecraft movie coming out, the reason MS is willing to pay this kind of money is likely because they see this as an enduring IP brand (not just a single puny video game) that they can milk in many different ways for years to come. 

Minecraft Go-Karting? Minecraft Movie? Minecraft Theme Park attractions? Cartoon Network TV series? More toys? McDonalds Happy Meals? The moment MS gets its mits on this IP all these things will likely be a go (a Minecraft movie is already a go actually). 

Minecraft and Halo are the two biggest IP on the XBox brand outside of Call of Duty too ... I don't think that's a small audience.