By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation Portable doomed?

mancandy said:
PSP not doomed. UMD for movies DOOOOOOMED!!!!

actually UMD isnt a complete failure. Most advertisements for movies being released on DVD mostly contain a "for UMD" stamp too. Plus its only majorly selliing poorly in the US. In Japan they have UMD Burners and its selling a lot better there. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Um in short no the psp is not doomed it actually has great first party support, The ps2 ports are stopping ( and going to the wii but no one complains about that on this site), And 20 million worldwide is =exactly where the GBA was at this same time. plus with the recent price drop sales have picked up well (even though it probably wont pass the ds), i mean yeah UMD is a failure but so was GBA video. And beside for the rest of 2007 the psps has an undiputidely better line up than the ds ( Gow, GT, Castlevania, Parrappa, Jean D Arc, FF 1 and 2).

When is GT supposed to be released? They played footage from it at E3 2004 and it still is not available. That game would seriously get a lot of toilet time.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

20 million is not considered a failure. Unless you're a Gamecube. I would even go so far as to consider it a hit. When we compare it to DS, sure it didn't "win," but if its profitable and it has a loyal fanbase, then I consider it to be successful.

EVERY SYSTEM IS DOOMED; DOOMED; DOOMED

20 years from now nobody will be talking about these gadgets (I know they are more than that to most of us), just because the DS is doing so well doesn´t mean the PSP is doing bad, just the same with consoles, different products for different people with different priorities. If you want to talk about what the future of any system might have comming for it don´t start a topic that suggests its Doomed. Next time a topic suggests any sytem (even from Sega) is Doomed I will use my internet-vodoo powers to summen the evil spirit know as HUS and unleash it. 

Around the Network

It really goes back to profits. Nintendo designed the last couple of systems for a small market, by profiting on hardware sales right away, and generating a huge lineup of first party titles that you score a large percentage on. Sony invested greatly in systems they lost money on, poored lots of money into generating 3rd party interest to get them flowing their content on their system, and with the psp they've attempted to gather support for the umd format. The umd format clearly failed for movies. And I don't know if the rate at which they are selling will gather them huge profits. It's more or less a huge investment for a modest return. For Sony that could be considered a failure, or at least not worth it. Especially when its clear the ps3 could have benefited from the extra attention. It's like saying if Spiderman 3 makes 600 million would that be a failure? not in the sense that it's double what it cost them, but it is in the sense that it's way more expensive then their prior films and more then 200 million less in revenue. So you have to take in to account what their in it for. 

Here is the mark of failure for Sony: If the psp and the ps3 combined do not sell as well as the ps2, then in my opinion they have to figure they've taken a large step down in this industry. Your not supposed expand your business, spend more, and have a combined smaller user base. 

And just to clarify my position, when we have these conversations I'm a business man, not a gamer, I always look at this like a business. Forget what you want, or like or would love to see, look at it from a business perspective, stock holders have expectations built on past performance, and thats what needs to be considered. Try at the top of your game to invest more money create two products for the industry and have them combined sell worse then your solo last gen offering. that simply won't float.

It would be doing much better if it had a SECOND ANALOG STICK. Geez, its like cofee was spilled on the blue prints and was cleaned off. And they havent noticed yet.

failed to achieve its prelaunch goals, in that regard it is a failure

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

People who reduce arguments like these to who sold more are typically the most ignorant of the bunch. DS outselling the PSP means nothing if the PSP is selling strong and making money.

Sometimes it hurts to go number 2.

ngg12345 said:
I have a question, have you said one positive thing about the ps3, or psp?

Actually, if you read both posts entirely, you would have seen that I did say many positive things about the PS3 and PSP.