By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unprecedented Wii availability at amazon UK

There's no money to be make scalping anymore so people won't be picking them up to sell on. Pretty much the only people buying them now are people who actually want them. I've seen a couple go for less than RRP on eBay and when you factor in the listing fees, final value fees and paypal fees those sellers will have made a hefty loss. You need to get at least £230 for it to be worth reselling on eBay.

Around the Network

@Avinash

no way, it's sold out in 2 out 3 retailers in my town..also Wii Fit will result in a unimaginable sell outs

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I went to a large shopping center this morning, and I checked 3 retailers, all with the wii instock, which is like the first time that I have ever seen the wii avaliable. I rekon it must a large shipment, however, we will have to wait for the numbers to see that

@munkeh11

hmmmm...thats interesting

In our town Gamestation n Game have em in stock but not HMV

darthdevidem01 said:
@munkeh11

hmmmm...thats interesting

In our town Gamestation n Game have em in stock but not HMV

Well this is HMV, GAME and WHSmiths (who still have a 60GB PS3 for £350), and it is a large shopping centre, so I would suspect there would be more stock there

Around the Network

It appears that the channel has been stuffed in the UK.

It is available from Amazon in Germany and France ... so I guess it must be a PAL thing.

Right now though, it is not available direclty from Amazon in the US or at all in Canada on Amazon.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Wasn't amazon uk able to keep stock last year prior to the holiday season, or not? Hasn't been a full week yet, but getting close. Anyways, it will be much harder to stuff the US channel...

@munkeh11

the STILL have 60GB PS3's.....thats a shock..

in a small town like mine their all gone...if ye can call keterring small

mike_intellivision said:

It appears that the channel has been stuffed in the UK.

It is available from Amazon in Germany and France ... so I guess it must be a PAL thing.

Right now though, it is not available direclty from Amazon in the US or at all in Canada on Amazon.

Mike from Morgantown

Some words about Amazon Germany...

Shortly after 2008's beginning until mid-February the Wii has been constantly unavailable. Amazon announced it as available by some date in mid-February (don't exactly remember) and since then the Wii seems to be available all the time... So it seems pretty clear that Nintendo made ONE BIG shipment after a long time..., wonder why... 

NJ5 said:

This site looks pretty accurate as far as I've seen:

http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/wii_stock_history.asp?Productid=3

For many months now, the Wii has been sold out 99% of the time at amazon UK, yet it has been available for the past two days without interruption. Note that in the past, it was only available for a few minutes at a time, and now it has been available for two days. That's a huge, and very surprising difference!

Now let's make one thing clear - despite this, the Wii is still #1 in amazon's "PC/video Games" sales chart, which probably means one or more of the following:

1- the whole video game market is on a sudden huge decline at the end of February (doesn't seem very plausible to me)

2- for some reason, Nintendo is giving preference to amazon over other retailers (I wouldn't bet on it, but it's of course possible)

3- Nintendo made a huge shipment of Wiis this week (the most likely of all three, although I have to wonder how huge it has to be)

I think the above explanations are lacking though, since I don't see any of those three factors being huge enough to explain such a big difference in availability. So here is a different theory:

Amazon probably sells a lot of consoles to internet-savvy Wii scalpers who have a lot of ways monitoring availability (stock trackers, etc), and therefore usually snap up Wiis pretty quickly in order to sell them at ebay for a huge premium. If it's indeed true that supply is finally catching up with demand (as some people have suggested), maybe those scalpers are less interested in quickly buying all the Wiis available at Amazon.

What do you think? Has supply finally caught up with demand, or will this just be a very short-lived situation?

Eh, got me.  Who can understand the logic of amazon buyers, since they seem to be way off from the rest of reality on everything else.